List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I get the navigation thing. That's the biggest problem I've always had with the Microids games (Amerzone, Return To Mysterious Island, etc). However, in some cases like RTMI and Syberia, it's been worth it for me to struggle through because the games themselves have been really cool. Myst, on the other hand, was a total waste of time, and I've made several attempts over the years to play it.

2. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    The Haunt does look good but Riddenhurst was an absolute nightmare. Even after a map was added. I keep going back to it but I think I'm on a set of stairs and I can't seem to get off them and explore elsewhere. Will wait for impressions for The Haunt before I take the plunge

3. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    I have the same issue. I hope the haunt resolves it, but am waiting rather than taking the leap that I usually do.

4. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I've been trolling this thread for awhile and am wondering, how do you know if a game is worth getting? I'm not all that interested in hidden object games but grew up playing Sierra's adventure titles and Lucas Arts games and loved those types of adventure games. What I'm finding on iOS is that it's pretty hit and miss and this thread is a great resource but more of what's available, not what's good. (Recently release called Yesterday is more the type of game I'm looking for.)

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Unfortunately that's really subjective. You're right in that a large portion of this thread is geared towards simply listing what has come out, but we all do our best to actually say what we think of games once we've tried them. I'm honestly probably the worst of the bunch, because I have to divide my time between playing adventure games and all the other games that I have to review, and most of those aren't adventure games. Still, when I do find something I really like or don't like I will post my impressions here.

The other thing to do, of course, is simply ask. If you see a game you're curious about, just post the name here and see if anyone has played it. People will be more than happy to respond with opinions if they've actually had the time to try the game.

As for your preference in game style, good choice. Those are the games I grew up with and love to play as well. Sadly, they show up on the iOS platform a lot less frequently than HoGs, though they are certainly starting to show up more often. Besides Yesterday, I would recommend checking out anything from TellTale games. They're sort of like the modern LucasArts, especially since they are now developing a couple of the series that made LuicasArts famous in the first place (at least as video game folks). I'd also suggest the Hector trilogy.

6. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks for the reply...I will check out TellTale. I think I have an episode of Sam & Max that is buried somewhere on my device...I'd forgotten about it.

7. mrsleny

mrsleny Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I am really enjoying Shiver Poltergeist, the latest BFG HOPA. Graphics are gorgeous, storyline is interesting, not an overabundance of HOS but the "dialogue" is a bit cheesy.

It probably won't show up in the US store for another week or so. Here's the Canadian link:

Shiver: Poltergeist CE for iPad.

8. elvis333

elvis333 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    #3908 elvis333, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    Kendahlj, I would check out grisly manor - it's free, quick and good. If you like grisly manor definitely spend the .99 on The Lost City which is a bigger better game in the vein of grisly manor. For old school, I really strongly recommend getting broken sword 1 and then if you like that broken sword 2. Also old school excellence can be found in Beneath a Steel Sky - really you need to get that game. The cryptic games are pretty good also (cryptic keep, cryptic caverns). This should give you a lot of good gaming to get started.

9. elvis333

elvis333 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Has anybody played 7th Guest. I'm trying to get into this game - it looks like exactly what I'm looking for with one big problem - the controls are brutally bad - so bad that I can't deal with playing it. Is it just me? Has anyone got used to these controls and gotten through the game?

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I didn't have a problem with the controls, but I never got through the game either. It took me a lot longer to find the first puzzle than to solve it, and that was enough to turn me off, so I deleted it.

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    New Game: Funky Bee. From the little I've played it's geared more towards kids, but it actually seems like it could be pretty cool and the graphics are decent. Plus it actually has quite a bit of voice acting.

12. Started playing the Haunt. Huge improvement on Riddenhurst. They went back to basics, what works for games like the Lost City and Crimson Manor. Runs smoothly, no waiting between screens. So far I'm enjoying it, and it seems like there should be a nice amount of content, since there are hidden items like puzzle pieces and moths to find (haven't figured out what they do yet). I've found like 5/99 puzzle pieces, so I've got a ways to go lol.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I believe I read somewhere that the moths give you hints.

14. Ahh that's a cool way of doing it. Much better than just giving you hints automatically or making you pay for them.

15. siege187

siege187 Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Thanks AppUnwrapper think I'll download the Haunt then. Seems right up my street.

Talking of games I like though, there's a really good one, that is a Phoenix Wright-esque adventure. It's called Detective Grimore and the devs are looking for help with development costs on Kickstarter with a deadline looming in 3 days. I've pledged/pre-ordered already. Link is below:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sfbgames/detective-grimoire-mystery-adventure-game-for-ios/posts/277291?ref=email&show_token=0abc403a2df7c079

16. mrsleny

mrsleny Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    #3916 mrsleny, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks for the review. I'm going to pick up too. Now I'll have 3 games on the go!

Add: OH NOOOOOOO. I spoke too soon. Another BFG CE release in Canadian app store - Hidden Expedition: Uncharted Island. It's one of their own games for a change. Too bad they didn't release Hidden Expedition Devils Triangle first because Uncharted Island is a sequel. I loved Hidden Expedition Amazon. The diary entries were hilarious.

17. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Thanks for that. Was holding off as the reviews on the UK App Store have been dire (three reviews, one star each) but your review has put my mind at rest

18. Ha, there's a puzzle like the yellow ones from the Closed Room game and it's driving me mad. Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

19. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    OMG. You could've mentioned that BEFORE I pressed buy. Can see sleepless nights fast approaching :D

20. Lol I said I *started* playing, didn't finish yet! But I don't think you'll be disappointed. While each room doesn't have too much in it, there seems to be a lot to explore. It's not so linear, which I like. You can explore lots of rooms and find clues before getting stuck somewhere. So if a puzzle is giving you trouble, you can move on and come back to it until you're *really* stuck. And the fact that there's no waiting for screens to load means that exploring is enjoyable and you don't have to worry about leaving a room before you're done with it. That, IMO, makes a *huge* difference to me.
    I have a bunch of items I haven't used yet, a few puzzles to solve, some clues I found. And some areas I have access to but haven't even touched yet. Just enjoying it at my own pace :)