List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Also finally brought myself to play through Telltale's Sam & Max Part 2: Beyond Time and Space on iOS ... Wasn't bad and quality picked up after the first episode but pity Part 3: The Devil's Playhouse doesn't seem to be in the App Store (anymore?). The latter is far superior and I'd highly recommend it for PC gamers.

After also having replayed Tales of Monkey Island recently I find it pretty sad Telltale only makes interactive "moviegames" anymore ... Ofc they went where the cash was after TWD 1 but seeing how their sales decline with one more of the same tired formula game after the other (reskinned, different IPs seem to be the only differences, choices never mattered anyway) maybe they'll return to their roots one day. If at least for some of their future releases.

2. GlitchGames

GlitchGames Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Glad you like them! Yea we've put a new user option in the game for brightness and I think I had it too low when taking some of the screenshots. It seems one of my monitors has a crazy high brightness so it was fooling me.

Thanks!

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Had picked up one of these but never played it. Turns out it wasn't the first one in the series anyway, so I picked up #1 and will have to give it a try.

4. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Did they even make that episode for iOS? I thought they stopped at least one of their series part way through.

5. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6785 Gambler, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    It definitely looks that way! Wikipedia says there is an iPad version, as does indiedb. Also, macworld for example gave a review of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse episode 1 for iPad in 2010 (Link) and another magazine reviewed episode 5 for PC, PS3 AND iPad (Link) so it looks as if the whole game, every single episode, was developed for iOS and must've been on the App Store at some point.

Of course Telltale has removed most of its older entries from the App Store (Jurassic Park, Law & Order Legacies or the underappreciated Back to the Future come to mind) but what I can't understand in this case: Why keep the weaker second Sam & Max but do away with the third??

This baffles me as much - if not more - as Disney's decision to pull out the Monkey Island remakes. Of course they were mostly interested in Star Wars and turned Lucas Arts from dev to a small licensing department but the MI ports still run perfectly on iOS 10 as I got to witness just a few weeks ago, same with TT's Back to the Future - On top of that on a device of a guy who runs pirated copies of those games for God's sake!!!

Me as honest buyer can't download them anymore thanks to lack of App Store Cloud saving back then but the none paying pirate can still get and play them somehow? Maybe in a way - sadly - fitting for the universe of Monkey Island but upside down in the real world! ...

Anyway, no idea what Telltale's (or Disney's) reasons are here for pulling those great games out somewhere down the line as I see no downside in keeping them in the Store. I'm sure there'd still be plenty of people buying them every year and what's the big upkeep as long as they obviously wouldn't even need to update the games to keep them compatible with newer iOS versions so far?

After all, the two year older Sam & Max: Beyond Space and Time runs perfectly on my iOS 11 device with Telltale's last updates being from 2015! So there's no reason to think the disappeared sequel wouldn't be the same.

At a loss here and annoyed. :mad: Tis' a mystery. Especially on part of Telltale. As I said, for Disney everything besides Lucasfilm's Star Wars license seems to be ambient noise anyway (In their case I can only dream that they'd sell the rights to MI back to Ron Gilbert someday instead of letting the IP rot away) ... :(

Tl;dr: 3rd S&M part apparently was on the App Store and no idea why TT kicked it from there but kept the inferior 2nd part. Can't be iOS or 64bit compatibility, nor upkeep. Similar story for Disney with Monkey Island. Two baffling and annoying issues for dedicated iOS adventure gamers. :(

6. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    At least I can balance my rant above a bit with this: ;)

You're welcome, guys. Glitch is a shining beacon in the iOS adventure genre. I love all your games (and wish I'd have more room in my signature for them :) ): A Short Tale still is my favorite, followed by the Forever Lost Trilogy. Not to mention Ferris Mueller, who'll always have a special place in my heart :D

A day with a new Glitch release is always a great day! Keep us posted guys :)

7. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Played part 2 yesterday. Was definitely longer than the first with less intrusive ads. Bought the ad removing iAP for the first to support the dev but the game was so short I went with the ad version for part 2. Hope you enjoyed the game too.

Bzw, thx for the Frostrune tip! Can't believe hadn't heard about the game before. Wasn't free (probably too late or never has been in Europe) but still worth every Penny.

8. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Unfortunately my "free" listings are always U.S. based since that's where I live :p It seems like a pretty cool game, but sadly like most cool looking games these days it won't run on my device. But, at least now I have it in case I do get a new tablet at some point!

9. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6789 Gambler, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Frostrune isn't demanding when it comes to graphics (only painted - I think - backgrounds without much movement, except a little when picking up an object or using it on the environment ofc). That's why the game according to its App Store page works on every iPhone, iPad and even iPod with minimum iOS 9. You have an iPad 2, don't you? Latest possible iOS for iPad 2 is 9.3.5 - With Frostrune needing at least iOS 9 why doesn't it work on your device then?

Or am I misremembering and you got an iPad 1?

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    No, I do have an iPad 2. It appears you might actually be right. For some reason I thought it either required a newer version of iOS or I had read somewhere that it needed more memory than my device has. I'll have to give it a try.

11. GlitchGames

GlitchGames Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Wow thanks for saying so! Really appreciate it! And glad to see Ferris getting some love :)

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  13. Thank you so Much

Thank you so much.I am addict to the games.this is like a festival for me .thanks a lot.

14. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    New classic PnC adventure release from a Kickstarter project: Bolt Riley - A Reggea Adventure

Apparently is only a first part and reviews don’t seem too positive (mainly about the short length) - Devs say a 2nd part is planned (Kickstarter was for a full game after all) and reviews advise to wait for its release, for buying the complete game.

Haven‘t played it but the setting looks kinda cool. Thought I‘d post it here if somebody wants to take the plunge and try it.

15. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    PointOfLight (Thread creator) is a little more quiet lately, cause he can‘t play a lot of the games anymore (device and/or iOS too old).

I try to post some adventures I come across but PoL was able to dig out much more. Often also what is free atm (at least in the US). He once told me he looks for adventures through a certain site where daily iOS releases are covered, don’t know which anymore though.

PoL: Maybe you can tell me again (pm?) I can sometimes try to go through it when I‘ve got time. At least to keep the thread alive a bit more - Hopefully you’ll get a new device one day :)

16. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
  17. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Some rather high profile releases for people who haven‘t heard of them:

Bring You Home Charming new Puzzle Adventure by the creators of the great Love You to Bits.

Life Is Strange Episode 1 Choose your Own Story Adventure, Port from PC Version. Also has a free Demo/Lite version

And don‘t think the Scribblenauts Games have ever been mentioned here. Scribblenauts Remix is a Puzzle/Adventure/Word Game Mix. A classic with A LOT of content which doesn‘t set much boundaries to your imagination. And the more recent Scribblenauts Unlimited with some new ideas and mechanics. Has more of a connected story, I still prefer the 1st part though.

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I do try to pop in here when I can, but you're right: the lack of a modern device is making it much harder for me to play anything new.

Sorry, I know this isn't a PM, but I thought it might be useful to everyone. The site I use is www.appshopper.com. I will warn you, though, that lately the new releases are numbering in the 100s per day, so unless their search algorithm is decent it might take some doing to find any adventure games. I have actually still been combing through this site every couple of days, I just haven't been very diligent about posting any findings here. I apologize for that.

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Haven't had a chance to try this one yet (supposedly it will run on my device), but I really enjoyed Love You To Bits, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I spent a bit of time with this one on the PC. I don't remember if I quit simply because I moved to a new PC or because I had finished what I got to play for free, but it was kind of interesting. There was a bit too much of a need to explore everything just to find what you needed to interact with for my tastes, but the premise was kind of neat. Episode 1 is 99 cents right now, or as Gambler pointed out there is even a lite version. I'd say it's worth checking out.

20. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #6800 Gambler, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Really like Love You To Bits too. Bring You Home is similar regarding graphics and cute story but different mechanics (similar like those in AZZL if you know the game). It‘s a bit more on the trial and error side than LytB but I enjoyed both a lot.

Oh, and I’m nearly 100% sure it’ll run on your device (the game’s not very resource hungry and works fine on my girlfriend’s iPad 3 9.3.3, which isn’t much more powerful than the iPad 2)

About Life is Strange: Played through all episodes on PC. Preferred it to most Telltale titles. Ending was a small letdown, but I guess (without wanting to spoil anything) it‘s just impossible with those kinds of games to branch out too much, would just get too complicated. But the different choices had more impact throughout the story itself than through your usual Telltale titles (where the difference often isn‘t more than a single sentence). All in all I also enjoyed the ride, you just gotta overlook some teenangst and drama every now and then, main protagonist is a high school girl after all - With a super power though :D