List Of Point & Click Adventure Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheFamousEccles, Jan 17, 2010.

1. potan

potan Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    One thing that annoy me about Haunted Mansion,
    it seems like they use a small hotspot or something for the item.

For example, you saw a toothbrush right in front of you, but it will take you several taps to actually get it.
    At first, it makes me think that you're not supposed to grab it yet....
    (this will make it more confusing)

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I was a total P&C adventure noob, never tried any before they started to appear for the iphone/iPod.

Well, if I rank those I have played from the most favourite to least:

1. The Secret of Monkey Island, with new graphics and voicework. Loved it. Writing, humor, puzzle design, visual and audio aspects - all great. Also, I prefer the control scheme - if only they didn't try to make it "context-sensitive" (which in effect meant that it always suggested the wrong action), it would have been perfect.

2. Beneath a Steel Sky. A little behind 1) because I prefer to have lots of puzzles to work on at once and lots of objects, rather than the step-by-step approach. Also, I must be the only person who didn't like the control scheme and found it confusing. In fact I had to use a hint because I thought that I did try something, but it turned out that due to lots of hotspots close together, I didn't. Otherwise stellar.

3) Flight of the Amazon Queen. My first point-and-clicker that kindled the passion for the genre ;). Yes, writing, humor and presentation aren't as good as the above, but puzzles are top-notch, IMHO.

4) Return to Mysterious Island Very visually pretty and offers non-linear puzzle solving, as well as survival theme, both of which are great for the first 3 (substantial) chapters. Story and voicework are mediocre, though and gameplay goes downhill in chapter 4, while chapter 5 is visibly truncated.

5) 1112 nice visual design and music, decent writing, but the actual gameplay... ugh. Game relies on tons of fake interaction options to distract one from paucity and mediocrity of the puzzles. Yes, it is an exclusive rather than a port of PC game, but it just doesn't compare to the 1-4, IMHO.

Oh, and I bought The Broken Sword, but since I didn't yet update my OS, I didn't start it yet. I expect great things, though.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    That's definetly a good order to put them in. The thing is I didn't like FOTAQ much since I got really bored of it after getting out of the hotel. It didn't keep my interest. Broken Sword will either become your first or second favorite point-and-click game. Monkey Island was a ridiculously awesome game with an even better updated version. Beneath a Steel Sky was a really awesome game that looked like it would be insane at the end, but it just kinda dropped off a cliff as if they ran out of time to come up with a good ending. Felt a bit like Cloverfield to me (which I rank as the number 1 worst ending I've ever seen), but just not to that extent.

Now if only they'd update Monkey Island 2, which was my second favorite behind The Curse of Monkey Island, which was the best point-and-click game of all time.

4. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Myst ftw!!!!!

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Turns out Gamespot thinks highly of Beneath a Steel Sky... I just wanted to see what their top Adventure games of all time were, and I saw Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered. Yes, the iPhone version. It got a 9.0 rating from them. Broken Sword wasn't there since the original PC version, Circle of Blood as it was known in America, already made the list. Pretty cool.

6. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'll take that as a +2.

I added Mystique Ch. 1, thanks.

I didn't know Gamespot did iPhone games. Out of all review sites, I give their opinion the most weight.

I hope the King's Quest series does come. I haven't played any, but I've only heard good things about them.

7. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I grew up on the King's Quest series (and Sierra Online as a whole, for that matter). I don't know if we'll ever see them on the iPhone, but if it's still available they had a nice collector's edition with all the KQ games for somewhere between $20 to $30 dollars U.S. I might even have the collection somewhere if I dug around enough, though I'm sure I owned them all the first time around except for the very last one. Anyway, I'd suggest getting that collector's edition if you can. You won't be disappointed.

Personally, I'd love to see someone make an iPhone port of AGS. There have been a ton of adventure games made for this engine over the years, almost all of them are free, and a good number of the games supported 320x240 resolution, so they'd fit just fine on the iDevice screen.

8. potan

potan Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
  9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That's the one I was trying to think of last night that slipped my mind. Interesting game, but way too short. Hopefully they'll bring out more chapters some day.

Speaking of which, if you're wanting to keep track of "coming soon" as well, don't forget to add 1112 Episode 2 to the list. Supposedly they are in full production on that one now.

There are at least three others missing from your list as well, but sadly I can't remember the names of any of them. One is an adventure game that relies on sound (though I'm not sure how P&C it really is). Another is done in the style of the old FMV games of the 90s. The last one is another detective game. If I can think of the names of any of these games I will let you know, though I'm sure you can find my list on another thread which has all of these games on it.

Oh, and don't forget The Hysteria Project as well.

10. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Does Antrim Room Escape count?

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    With their history? Either way, I wouldn't trust them for iPhone reviews because they don't cover the platform efficiently enough to know which games are better than others.

12. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

Broken sword +2
    Beneath a Steel Sky +2
    :p

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Isn't that already on the list?

14. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
    Added all of your suggestions and Secret Cavern 4. Also added Monkey Island to the upcoming games.

Would people appreciate the links being to appshopper instead?

@Midian
    I've always been a Nintendo fan, and ever since the Wii, all other review sites complain about it not being hardcore enough, and basing scores on the hardcoreness of the game, hoping to encourage more hardcoriality. Of course Gamespot is clogged up now, so it's pretty much useless.

15. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    It's not as polished as some of the other games in the list, but iv'e been playing Bygone City and Bygone City 2...

16. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Wow, this is coming to iPhone!? Is it official? I haven't read anything in the e-mail Telltale always sends me. I already have the season for PC, but this is amazing nonetheless, if true.

17. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
  18. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
  19. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
  20. TheFamousEccles

Dec 19, 2009
    #60 TheFamousEccles, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    I added iEscaper!2. Are you sure Raving Manor would qualify? It looks more like a text adventure, but I could be wrong. What are other peoples' opinions?

I also clarified that Monkey Island isn't confirmed.