Looking for beta testers for my game Hopple.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dancy, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Thanks!! Looking forward to the release.

And in case noone has mentioned yet, welcome to TA! You'll love it here :D

2. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Thanks. Not a lot of girls around here though. But I'm excited that I'm one of the few girl developers :)

3. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Ah, so the game was submitted already. In that case, I'll just sit patiently and wait. :D

4. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Another company has offered to do a flash version for my game so that's exciting. Hope you guys enjoy the game!

5. Coolio93

Coolio93 Active Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I would also like to beta test it... I'll send you a pm too just in case that's what you check and not the forum post....

6. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I hope your game goes well! From the look of it it reminds me of bluebird.. Might have to pick this up... What will the price be

7. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    99 cents. It will never go up and I won't try and trick people by telling them things like "75% OFF ZOMG GET IT NOW!!!111!!"

I did crack some jokes in the description:

"99.99% OFF GET IT WHILE THE PRICE IS LOW!"

was one of the comments lol. So far from comments I've gathered that it's a pretty addictive game (looks like winterbell is what a lot said lol). I do have local and global high scores of course, and I'm curious as to what scores I'll see.

I tried to make it as cute and relaxing as possible, pure pick and play. Something you play for 5 minutes to try and beat a score. It was my first iPhone game and I learned a lot from making it.

Even if it doesn't sell well, Hobbes, I can still say I made a game for the iPhone. How many 18 year olds can say that? Let alone 18 year old girls lol...

8. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Definitely!! You go girl! :p

And please do make more games like this. The market right now is pretty good for 99 cent pick-up-and-play games. I think the biggest challenge is making one that is appealing enough and not yet availabe in the App Store.

PS: My score is 1740 so far :D (looking at the winterbells highscores, its darn low but not too bad I guess lol)

9. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I decided not to make some ridiculous "double" prize like in winterbells. It inflates scores and the difference between 20 million and 100 million is very little. This way it feels more competitive since you could have top 10 separated by a low amount.

Also, you probably didn't notice but going up a bit and pressing menu pauses the game.

I got to 3000 as my highest but I been testing and playing it forever lol. I find the key is to go as fast as possible skipping as many acorns as you can to get to the top hat.

10. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I always miss the top hat. My 1740 high score was with 1 top hat I think lol...

11. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Yea the I modelled the tophat to follow the path of a sine wave. Though I'm thinking I should have increased amplitude and decreased wavelength since it's pretty damn hard to get.

12. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Ah.. but I always see the top hat going off the screen lol.. If you increase the amplitude even more, I dont think I'd even see the tophat even if its there lol.

Maybe just make it move faster :p Or double check the collision because sometimes I touch the tophat by a bit, but I think its not enough to register as a hit.

But its pretty cool how you modelled the top hat's path. Maybe as the height progresses, you can change the path so that it gets harder to get the tophat (e.g. make the amplitude bigger, move it faster, add in more sine components to make it the movement more random) :p

13. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Yea I could've modelled its path around all sorts of crazy functions. To do some real cool things I'd use parametric equations but it'd make the game too hard lol.

14. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I guess so haha.. you couldve used some GMM or a fourier series or maybe some cool tunneling effects lol... Imagine the acorn warping across time and space haha...

15. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    LOL. Waaay too much for this game. Remember simplicity was my key for this game. Maybe I can do cool stuff for my next game.

16. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I was just joking :p With all that computation, I think the FPS will plummet to the ground whenever a top hat appears lol

17. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Has it been submitted? And sorry for not getting back to you about beta testing, I was busy with graduation and stuff this weekend

18. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
  19. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Submitted already :( I was away all weekend and just now got the beta installed. By the way dancy, I sent you few notes :) Well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the game to get approved now...

20. Retean

Retean Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Looks like a game my gf could get into. Would need to know some more info on the gameplay before i would know if either of us would like to test it out for u