Looking for feedback/beta testers [Cops 'n Robbers]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Silvanis, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Silvanis

Silvanis Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    co-owner of Silver Moonfire
    I'm thinking $1.99 for the full version.

I plan to give you and shortandnoisy promo codes for the full game, though, as thanks for helping out. At least, if short would stop breaking my game :D

2. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Teleport is still there, I'm going to take another look at it when I get the rest finished up. I think it's a race condition and that's going to be a PITA to try to fix.

And speaking of race conditions, it sounds like I need to make sure there's time for cops to change state before I remove them at the end of the level. That would be my guess for why you crashed in those circumstances.

3. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Okay thank you for the promocodes

4. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    #44 shortandnoisy, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Is the quit game button from the pause menu turned off deliberately? Just tried using it and nothing happened

EDIT: I was just playing, pressed pause to look away from the screen and when I looked back I saw a cop still moving, catch up with me and kill me - all before I unpaused the game

5. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Yeah, the Quit button is turned off until I get save/continue working (hopefully today! It's the feature that will not die!)

I just changed the order for pausing the game: it'll now pause THEN show the options screen. Hopefully that'll fix the cop getting a little too overzealous :)

6. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    This game feels nearly finished! I can't believe how much the game has improved.

7. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    New build! (finally!) This one adds save game support. The game will save when you quit from the options menu or when you close the app (assuming you're playing a level and have more than 0 lives). If there is a save file, the continue button on the title screen will let you start from that save.

I've also added the TestFlight SDK to this build so I can capture crash reports. This should help with any lingering issues that shortandnoisy runs into :)

Known issues:
    The teleport bug when turning around on a tile boundary still exists
    Hitting the continue button immediately after quitting the game will crash as it hasn't cleaned everything up from the game you quit.
    There's an occasional crash when hitting the Continue button on the level complete screen...possibly also related to timing issues with memory cleanup.

8. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Don't know if you got the report as it wasn't really a bug, but the issue with the cops still chasing you on pause is still there. This time though it only seems to happen if the screen is turned off then back on

9. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Got it. I'm using Cocos2d for the game engine, and it handles pause/unpause. By default, it's set up to pause when the app stops being active and unpauses when it becomes active again. I'll have to add a conditional check in there to make sure it stays paused when returning to the game from elsewhere.

Thanks for checking these scenarios. I have to admit I'm not a big iPhone user, so things like "what happens if I press home to quit the app and immediately go back to it?" don't occur to me.

10. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Okay, that should be fixed in the next build.

11. Zer0suM

Zer0suM Member

May 16, 2012
    The new build - I played the first 2 levels and tested the play, pause, quit, continue sequences and found a minor bug.
    The first to times I quit and continued the inspector and and investigator showed up in the lower left corner of the screen.
    I could send a screenshot if needed I am just not sure where or how on the forum.

Comment - on you initial screen where you can start or continue a game - on the roof of the bank is a woman's head and IMO it just looks odd.

12. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Fixed in the next build. Thanks for bringing it up; I tested the later levels and forgot to check on one that didn't have all the cops.

The woman in shadow is your rival; she shows up on the bonus levels (5 and 10 currently). I wanted her to be in hiding as she's a bit of a secret character.

How does it feel to play the game on the iPad? My other testers are using an iPhone or iPod.

13. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    Just a minute ago the game crashed on my iPod after I beat level 6 and then I started level 7 but quit right away. After I pressed "quit game" the game crashed.

14. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Most of the crashes I've had have been around level 7 too, is that just coincidence?

15. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    The only thing unique about level 7 is it's the first appearance of the Corrupt Cop. I'm inclined to think it's a memory issue, though. TestFlight doesn't have the crash report yet, but that should help me find out what's going on.

16. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    New build is up! Has the bug fixes mentioned earlier (extra cops when restoring from save, game unpausing when coming back from background) along with a new Game Over screen, and a Credits screen from the main menu!

You might want to look through the credits ;)

17. Zer0suM

Zer0suM Member

May 16, 2012
    Found a nice bug for the robber. And I duplicated it on level 1 & 2.
    Here's what I did.
    When both levels started I tried to time a quit game right before the cops spawned. I quit and continued the game 3 times and with success the cops do not spawn and the entire board is cop free and the robber owns the level.

As for playing on the iPad. The game plays well. Personally I would like the thumb pad to move up from the bottom about a 1/2 inch if I could customize it.

Thanks for the kudos in the credits.

18. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Had another crash. This one was at the end of level 4. Not sure exactly what happened though, hopefully the testflight report can help

19. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Crash logs:

I have 3 crashes that occured while cocos2d was unloading. It looks like someone is crashing while hitting Quit Game, but the logs are a bit murky on this one.

I have 2 crashes that occurred when trying to save a Rival level. I'll have to take a look and see what's going on there.

The one you mention, shortandnoisy, I have no idea what's going on there. It looks like a screen refresh went horribly wrong or something. The stack trace never gets to my code, so I have to assume it was a one-off.

20. Zer0suM

Zer0suM Member

May 16, 2012
    Correction - I can achieve this on every level.