Looking for feedback/beta testers [Cops 'n Robbers]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Silvanis, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Silvanis

Silvanis Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    co-owner of Silver Moonfire
    New build uploaded, here's the notes:

-added ability to restart level from Game Over screen
    -lives are now stored as a user preference; setup for buying lives from store
    -refactored level cleanup
    -removed blink from respawning robber as he is no longer invulnerable when respawning
    -fixed crash when saving a rival level
    -fixed crash when saving games

forgot to mention, this build also fixes the problem with cops not spawning when restoring a save. That fixes the bug you found, Zer0suM

Next up: Game Center support for high scores!

2. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Got the new build, that's quite a lot of changes even just on the UI side. It does seem more stable, but I just played to level 8 and on three levels - 5,6 and 7 I think - I used the lawyer at some point but still got the points for having it at the end of the level.

Aside from that, now there is a high score button on the game over screen, it feels like there should be one on the main menu too.

3. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    Yep, forgot to remove the lawyer from the items held array when you use him.

I intend to add a high score button to the main menu screen when I have Game Center working.

Did you get another crash? I got a crash log from someone on this build that doesn't make a lot of sense (another one that crashed when doing something with the graphics).

4. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    No, oddly enough it wasn't me. The lawyer thing was the only issue I noticed

5. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    new build, mostly graphics/sound improvements:

-lawyer is now properly removed from items held when used
    -new UI graphics for game levels
    -revamped most options screens to have a tablet visual metaphor
    -added sound effects for using smoke bomb, doughnut, and lawyer

6. shortandnoisy

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Really liking the tweaks, especially the new dpad.

What are the finish conditions for the race level? I always thought it was only over once everything had been collected, but today there was one left on the other side of the map from us (level 5) bit the level ended anyway.

I just had an issue where I died, but as I died I left the game, when I came back the dustcloyd animation still played for a bit, then the robber got up but couldn't do anything. Left and right turned me even though I wasn't moving, up and down did nothing and neither did the pause button. Have tried to replicate it since, but haven't managed.

7. Zer0suM

Zer0suM Member

May 16, 2012
    I am the one getting crashes a lot on the iPad but I am not sure why. Quitting the game seems to be a part of it.

An issue or two with the play screen not scrolling properly up or down. Level 8 & 14 come to mind. The robber would leave the screen and I couldn't see him because the screen didn't scroll with him.

8. Zer0suM

Zer0suM Member

May 16, 2012
    I have replicated this one a couple times.
    I quit once the dust cloud appears and continued game both cop and robber stayed where the cop caught me.
    The second time I quit at the end of the dust cloud the robber stayed put and the cops continued around the screen.

9. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    The bonus item (the necklace) can respawn. The objective is to get all the rings, but the necklace is worth 5 points. Now, if there was still a ring out and the level ended anyway, that's an issue.

I'll have to add some code to handle restoring a save as the robber is dying. Didn't think about the game being in that state :)

10. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I've tweaked the saving code slightly, but the crashes are being caused by some object(s) being cleared from memory but not from Cocos2d's list of things to manage. Since Cocos2d sets things up to autorelease, I'm having a hard time finding places to force a cleanup.

11. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    New build is out:

-added new icons
    -added Game Center leader boards
    -fixed bug where resuming from a save while robber was dying would cause character to become stuck
    -fixed crash bug where eyes would try to move during level cleanup

I have an idea that may fix the crashing when saving the game; I'll have to experiment with that tomorrow.

12. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    I got the new updates and I like the new look for everything a lot better but I did have a crash today. You might have received a message about it but if you didn't let me know.

13. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    No crash report on TestFlight, so what happened?

14. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    Well I was playing a continued game and I died on level 11 or 12. (I'm pretty sure it was 12) and I lost all of my lives and the game over screen poped up so I pressed quit game and the game crashed after I pressed it.

Just a minute ago I went back to see what level I died in for you but when I pressed continue it brought me back to the level I had died in. (This was the level mentioned in the 1st paragraph) but when I returned to the level I heard the noise for the robber getting beat up but I didn't see any robber or fight and suddenly the noise went off and it went to the game over screen. So that was a little unusual.
    After I returned I pressed continue to see what would happen and as I guessed it took me to the 1st level. So I thought everything was okay but then I noticed no robber coming out. Next I noticed the robber in the bottom left corner of screen so I tried to see if he could move back to the paths but instead I could only move him left and right about 2cm. Here's a pic:
    image.jpg

So that's the latest I found, good luck:)

15. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I think the problem has a couple of sources. First, I was relying on the file manager to delete the save file right away, and I don't think that happens. The second was that the title screen was being cached, so the continue button would stay in the same state after you quit a game. If you ever quit a game that should have saved (had lives remaining), you may have noticed the continue button was grayed out; this wasn't intentional.

Finding yourself in the corner on level 1 is what would happen if you continue without a valid save file.

To solve these, I'm no longer just checking for the existence of the save file, but also on a variable that updates a lot quicker. I'm also making sure the title screen updates the state of the continue button whether it's a cached copy or not.

Also, I believe I have finally solved the problem of crashing when saving a game. :D So look for a new build soon that fixes all this.

16. kashifraza

kashifraza Active Member

May 6, 2013
    i sent a request, waiting for response.

17. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    TestFlight is saying you don't have a device attached to your TestFlight account. You need to log into TestFlight from your device to get things synched up.

18. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    New build!

-added new splash/title screen and music
    -added High Scores and Store button to title screen (Store not yet functional)
    -added new graphics for Rival level items
    -fixed issue where Continue button would not update properly
    -fixed(?) crash when saving a game

We're getting close...I want to submit this to Apple in the next couple of days, but I still have a ways to go.

Things to add:
    Achievements
    Store for iAP
    Levels 15-20

I'm honestly thinking about cutting 16-20 and adding them after launch as a free update.

19. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    Yeah I think the other things are more important right now.
    I have a couple questions:
    1) in the launched version of the game, when it says level select will you be able to select any level or only the ones you've beat?
    2) do you have any form of advertisements planned? Because that can be extremely crucial as you already know.

20. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    1. Only levels you've been to.

2. The free version will have ads that play between levels. The premium version won't have any ads. I'm hoping to release both versions at the same time, but there may be a slight delay on the free version. It's going to take a day or two for me to figure out ad networks and accounts.