Universal LostWinds - (by Frontier Developments)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #181 psj3809, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Woo hoo a d-pad ! I'll be buying this now 100% (Just have)

Thanks New England Gamer for mentioning the new control options, wouldnt have gone for this otherwise, cheers

2. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    To avoid confusion / potential disappointment I wanted to point out that the update isn't officially available on the App Store yet, its just being tested out by a few people prior to being submitted to Apple probably early next week.

3. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    Awesome news, thanks Frontierdev for listening the players!
    When the control issues will be fixed, this game will be a must have and I will buy it :)

4. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    Hi everybody,

just wanted to let you know that we just submitted the update to Apple.

A big thank you to our intrepid testers, we really appreciated the great feedback & time they spent on it.

We have added 'Gust-Time', a short slow-motion sequence at the top of each gust that makes it more forgiving - 4 settings for this, off, 1,2 and Max. It will open on '2', so we are changing the default behaviour of the game. The game was originally released with this effectively set to 'off', so you can revert to that if you like it better.

We have also added an optional virtual D-Pad to control Toku's direction. This will NOT be there by default, you'll have to switch it on, and when you do the tap to move is disabled and directional control is D-Pad only.

There are other small tweaks that are all intended to address niggles with a few areas of the level design.

It also has Japanese and Simplifed Chinese language support added.

5. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Thanks to frontier dev for responding to all the user feedback re controls. Great to have devs who really listen!

6. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Hi Frontier !

Is David Braben secretly working on Elite IV at evenings and weekends ?

If this game pays I hope the resources are pushed in the right direction !

Anyway all the best with this game ! I know you can't comment on the status of the Elite development really (probably). I'm just letting you guys know that there's still some old age pensioners hanging around still waiting and wishing for the game !

Please mention it to David if you see him by the coffee machine or whatever ! Lol

7. Marcus89

Marcus89 Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I like this game, used to play it on the Wii, but the iOS version needs retina display... ESPECIALLY since the iPad version runs at 3GS resolution!!

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yes, same here. Thanks for the head's-up! Looking forward to and have been waiting for it.

9. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    will do ;)

10. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    The resolution you get depends on your device's display resolution and CPU/GPU processing capability. e.g. iPhone4S has full 'retina' resolution.

11. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    We're pleased to say that the update has been approved by Apple and is currently being propagated onto the app store. So I guess you should start to see the 'update' notification appearing soon on your iDevices..

We're looking forward to hearing what people think of the control changes!

12. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    It's out in the USA. I'm updating now!

13. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Downloaded the update in the UK fine. Although the default settings don't seem to have changed - which is good, from my point of view, since I had no problems with the touch controls from playing a little way into the game (up to getting out of the shrine where you pick up the slipstream power). Shall not be trying the Dpad unless something goes horribly wrong later on. Not sure why the touchscreen isn't bothering me, but hey, feels fine.

It's an excellent port IMO. Some small framerate jitters and glitches on a 4th gen Touch but nothing major. I had it on the Wii but the console belonged to a friend in the same house, I just bought Wiiware and VC stuff for it, so never did finish the thing. Looking forward to completing it this time.

14. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    One of the best updates I've ever seen on the App Store! This makes the game finally playable. The D-Pad controls work great! Now it is a top app!

From garbage to platinum with just one update! Thanks to the developers who took the critics serious and made this game great.

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Amazing update :D Thank you so much :)

16. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I honestly think the controls are superb now,lovely game i hope the sequel is underway.

17. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I didn't hate the previous controls, but I'm definitely enjoying the game more now that it has a joystick.

18. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Update is so great!
    Wish it had come sooner, We can finally attack the evil forces of Balasar with Enril and ONLY them!
    Before the update when i swiped down on the globs Toku followed it soon :(

Beat the game with little artifacts left, those he say the game is short ARE not telling the truth, took me a WHOLE month! (on and off of course)

19. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Having skimmed through this thread on several occasions and reading the concerns over the controls, I held back purchasing this game. However, after reading the initial wave of positive feedback in response to the update, I bought the game and have taken the dive...

20. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Thanks a lot Dev's. Am I to understand this correctly, all you did was add an optional D button and made a pause when using the gust feature..level 2 is default I assume there is a longer pause and a shorter one included as well. My friend told me he can now swipe at his character as many times as he wants during that slow pause to get to a ledge instead of the 1 or 2 times you could previously depending on where you were in the game. Doesn't this take away from the challenge of the game? I mean if I can gust myself as many times as I want getting to any reasonably close ledge will be too easy and less of a platform type challenge no? Either way I own the game just haven't had time to play, I just bought it immediately to support the dev and will buy the sequel as well to support you. I already played and beat both on the Wii as well.