Universal LostWinds - (by Frontier Developments)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Yes god forbid Nintendo would smarten up and tie all of our game purchases to a user account and not to the hardware. For a company so smart their online acumen is severely lacking..

2. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Hi,

thanks so much for your support, we really appreciate it!

the control changes are, as you say, adding a short slo-mo time at the top of each gust of Toku, and an optional D-Pad. The duration of the slo-mo has 4 settings, off, 1 , 2 and max. It starts on 2, so you can increase to max or decrease to 1, or switch it off (which was how the game was originally shipped on iOS).

We didn't change any gust behaviour beyond that, so I think your friend is probably just having more time within which to do the multiple gusts?

3. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
  4. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Will there ever be gamecenter support for this game?

5. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    Beyond the current achievements, given the type of game it is we didn't think there would be too much demand for / point in leaderboards etc.

We're happy to hear people's views.

6. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I couldn't agree more. I really think this is one of the few games out there that would suffer from leaderboards. Saying there's a need for a competitive component in LostWinds is like saying there's a need for competition in solving world hunger. This series has such a deeply moving vibe, and I think you'd completely undermine the basic notion of what this game is.

7. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Oh, this is wonderful.

I find myself playing slowly and exploring every nook and cranny, to draw the experience out as long as possible. Definitely put me down for the sequel!

Cheers.

8. subtract

subtract Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Help! I'm stuck in one area (actually, I've been stuck since Christmas!), maybe someone would be kind enough to let me know how to progress?

I'm in the vortex shrine, but I can't get the vortex action to work. It seems like I should be able to gust the rock up, then pinch to suspend it - but I just can't do it. What am I doing wrong?

I'm on an iPhone, so I'm wondering if the screen size is affecting the pinch movement - every time I pinch, the rock has either fallen back down, or the pinch just registers as a touch onscreen. Any ideas?

9. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Someone convince me why to buy this!

10. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Yep, that's what you have to do. I'm playing on the iPad, so I'm afraid I can't give any iPhone-specific advice, but you're trying the right thing. Make sure you're pinching around of the rock so your fingers meet on top of it.

As for me, I may have to take back some of my praise. I'm in the Abandoned Village, trying to
    use the helicopter plant to fly upwards to the ledge
    , and it's ridiculously difficult. I feel like I've spent the last fifteen minutes fighting the controls to get the game to do what it's supposed to do, and that's never the way a game should be.

Sigh.

11. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    let me know what persuades you to buy. im in the same predicumant.

12. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Haven't tried this version yet, but I would love to convince you to at least buy the Wii version. The two LostWinds games on Wii are my very favorite games on that system. As much as I love both Mario Galaxy games, I have still yet to find another set of games that uses the Wii controls as well as the LostWinds games. Of course, it's not just the controls, it's the entire package. The setting, sensibilities, and vibe of the games are just very moving. If you're ever looking for a game that transcends mere gameplay, LostWinds is a great place to start in my opinion.

13. subtract

subtract Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks for that, I tried this morning and it worked first time. I think that I was trying to pinch the actual rock (hence only having a small space to pinch), rather than pinching from around it. Rookie mistake for someone playing video games since the 1970's :)

14. Malrulezzzu

Mar 28, 2009
  15. Malrulezzzu

Mar 28, 2009
    It is a cool unique platformer with nice graphics and some fun game play. They just enhanced the controls to mere perfection. Well worth the few dollars it costs to buy the game.

16. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Love the game and bought it when it first released. Anyway this update helps a bit with controls via the new D-pad but I find the pad hard to see and too small as well. I'm always struggling to find it and get my finger positioned right. I hope it gets changed more as I would prefer that control scheme as I despise the touch and point to walk control style. Keep up the good work Devs. #

17. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I was referring to Gamecenter achievements actually, sorry for the confusion

18. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    Ah - thanks; the game already has achievements.

19. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Exactly, but theyre not Gamecenter supported right? Any chance they'll be in an update?

20. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    Like this, you mean?

Attached Files: