Universal LostWinds - (by Frontier Developments)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    The iPad that Sanuku took his video from is running at full native resolution. I'm wondering if what you are picking up on (apart from squishing) is pixel shaders / full screen effects (e.g. bloom) designed to give the game its particular look? In 'real life' it looks lovely.

2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Nice to see the devs here !

Sorry to be off topic but while you're here, is Elite IV still in development ? Or has it been canned ?

(I'm ever the optimist !)

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Offtopic:

Out of 1000 User 55% prefer it streched - 45% prefer it in the native resolution.

Sorry Guys but as long as the iOS Community prefer it that Way i don`t even see a reason to switch it.

Just a Quicknote since some seem to forget it:

I am not sponsored by any Developer or Website nor i`m getting any Promo Codes from them so if some of you have a Problem with those Gameplay Trailer you are Free to upload your own Content.

Ontopic:

Overall LostWinds is a great Game and i`m glad that it got it`s iOS Port.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    The original version was on the Wii with motion controls, so swipe controls seem like a natural transition. This isn't something they kludged on just for iOS.

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Hmm...maybe. I'm very curious to see how this feels because I'm not a huge fan of touch to move, tilt, or swipe controls. Especially for a game like this. Nonetheless, I have high hopes.

But yeah, I'm still nervous because I've been playing TN and the controls are perfect for a run n' jump platformer. I honestly feel like I'm playing on a console or handheld game system.

Again nonetheless, I'll be picking this up as soon as it's available.

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I didn't play this when it first came out, but have really been looking forward to trying it.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    thnx for the info... well yeah shader may be it.. its looks very soft and fuzzy
    especially the edges.. well similar to rendering at lower res and scaling up..

anyway.. lets see how it looks in device when it hits the store over here..

8. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #48 soldat7, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    Is this a joke? Who in their right mind would prefer a distorted image? Probably the same people that think 120/240Hz/Motion Smoothing/Interpolation garbage TVs actually look good...

Certainly not a dig on you at all, but I'd take the power back and go native!

I find it utterly inconceivable that people would prefer zooming and stretching in an effort to remove black bars.

/rant

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    +1 , thoose people are not in their right mind.. but how do you think the majority of people watch their 4:3 broadcast on their 16:9 tvs.. stretched.. with a nice soap opera look from their 120hz function and a unsharp detail free image due to noise reduction filters.. yeah.. :)

10. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I have this on Wiiware, buy this guys! its great!!! :D

11. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Hello Mr dev sir. If you get the sales would you consider the sequal on iOS? I never had the chance to play it as I gave up on Wii gaming shortly after finishing the first Lost Winds.

I will still buy this, playing it again will be a pleasure.

12. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    In reverse order; thank you VERY much and lets see how this one goes :)

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Native Resolution:

I`ll think about what mr.Ugly,soldat7, Ghouls'R'us have said and maybe do those Videos, at least those of the Major AAA Games, in a native Resolution too.

Thanks for the Feedback Guys. I`m always open for those even if i may bite first.

14. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    The earth is round now! ;)

Great job. I've always been a fan of your vids.

15. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    You... bite? At the very least, I hope you got your shots ;).

Thanks for keeping an open mind!

16. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Less than 30 minutes left :).

17. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    What a very cute looking game! Thanks again Sanuku for your invaluable videos!!

18. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Released in Europe! :)
    Can't read anything about iCloud save games? Aren't they supported? :(

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Played this one on the Wii at release. Was in awe for about the first 15 minutes after which point my interest suffered a sharpish dive and I grew increasingly bored. Might still be worth picking up at this price and I think it will work well with touch controls, but very much a case of "style over substance" as I recall.

20. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    After spending one hour with this game I can say the look is very nice and the idea to control a game by running and controlling the wind is very good (that's the wii part).

Now, the iOS-Version. It runs absolutly flawless. No lag and no crash (except for the first start but that happens with many fresh installed apps) on iPad 2. Controlling the wind works fine, too. BUT(!) running around by tapping is so annoying. I can image how this works on a wii but on the iPad it totally interrupts the gameplay (tap and hold makes it even worse). So I ended up using just the wind to move and don't walk at all. BUT(!) - and this is the good news - this should be very easy to fix. This game just needs too small buttons (one for running left and one for running right) in the bottom left corner! This little change could bring this game from good to highly enjoyable!

My english is not the best but I hope you can understand what I tried to say.

PS: Some 2D menu items looks blurry but the 3D game itself is in native sharp resolution.