Universal LostWinds - (by Frontier Developments)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    This is on my wish list, I guess a touch screen works better than waving a stick in the air... This title needs TV-out support in a serious manner!

P.S. We need a "gameplay video request thread" some where here and Sanuku should start getting his work paid, I am serious.

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I just picked this game up. The graphics are great, the sound is great, the atmosphere is great, the controls are awful . I'm going to try to get used to the idea of *run to the edge of the screen* *stop* *run to the edge of the screen* *stop*, and try to be more precise with my jumping swipes, which up to this point have had me do multiple attempts at about 90% of the jumps (particularly gaps, which thank god don't usually lead to deaths if you miss them, or I'd be dead 40 times per level), but ho-ly do I ever wish this game this game had standard platforming controls, or at least an option for them. Heartbreaker :(

3. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    D:

i loved this game on the Wii and was really hoping the controls were done right for the iOS version =/

guess i'll wait a bit then

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #64 Big Albie, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    After playing through this a bit, I think the biggest issue will be the controls. I will probably work up a review in the next day or so once I get deeper into the game, but right now, I'm missing the buttons to control movement. Tapping to move can become a tedious exercise especially through the course of a game. The line drawing to create gusts works fine, but in general, if you don't like tap to move games, LostWind will not appeal to you.

5. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    This game is begging for left/right buttons, or something other than the current movement scheme.

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    While it takes some practice, tap to move and then drawing to fly doesn't give you the precision or control. I'm sure this comes down to personal preference, but this game really needs some traditional buttons for movement.

7. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Hi, you can press & briefly hold the left or right edge of the screen to create a continuous left or right movement without having to repeatedly tap.

8. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    Hi, you can tap & briefly hold the left or right edge of the touchscreen to create continuous movement in that direction, no need to repeatedly tap.

9. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for this, but still, then you're obscuring part of the screen with your thumb..so while that's happening anyways, why not put an option in for standard left/right/jump controls. I'm basically begging you, please add these. I can't stand these controls. I know it's novel to use intuitive "device specific" controls and all, but it really is to the detriment of this game. I just wanna walk normally, and jump normally. At least make it an option for those of us who want it?

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You know, I was thinking maybe people were just nitpicking about the controls, but having tried this myself...it really could benefit from traditional controls. I mean, the current ones are alright, but they're not "ideal".

11. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Dang, just bought this... should have read the posts and waited. I hope I enjoy it.

12. lekima

lekima New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Just registered to say that I'm quite disappointed with the control. It makes simple movements like moving and jumping a lot more difficult and I have no idea why the developers have to keep it that way. I don't recommend buying this until they have some better solutions.

13. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #73 spleen, Dec 21, 2011
    I don't understand why people are having such issues with the controls, as the dev (and possible others) already mentioned you can just double tap or hold for a second on either side (and then let go) and the character will keep running toward that direction until you tap somewhere else. This leaves your hands completely free to blow everything around and help him jump with wind. Surely directional buttons would just complicate things even more as you would always need a hand on the screen to move.

Also regarding the discussion on whether the game was rendered at native resolution (already answered by the dev), here is a screenshot of the game running on my iPad 2.

[​IMG]
    (click to enlarge)

There is definite blur, not just a lack of anti-aliasing, so I assume it is being rendered at slightly lower than 1024*768. I actually don't mind this either, it makes everything look a bit dreamy, but I'm sure the hardware is capable of rendering it in native resolution.

Anyone that owns a 4S have this? Could you post a screenshot, I'm keen to see how it looks as apparently on the 4S it is rendered at native res.

14. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010

As I said before "tap and hold" makes it even worse. It's a great game but the controls annoy me so much that I don't see a way to finish the game. Please devs fix the controls with two simple buttons in the left corner for going left and right! I want to play through the whole game.

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It's not "tap and hold"
    It's "Tap-hold-let go"

Mind you, I haven't played yet. That's just the way I understood the other guy's post.

16. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    #76 O__o, Dec 21, 2011
    Yes, I know. My english is not the best. You don't have to hold all the time of course. I know that. But it just doesn't work good.

Edit: This could be a very very good game. They just have to fix the controls (and maybe the blurry ingame icons). But controls are the thing that really needs to be fixed!

17. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    LostWinds was awesome on the Wii though I didn't beat it and I just picked it up for iOS just now. I also own LW2 on Wii and want it on my iPhone as soon as possible so please get to work! Nice job guys and happy holidays :)

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Ah, sorry. Just seemed like you misunderstood, that's all. No hard feelings? <3

19. frontierdev

Dec 20, 2011
    Hi, (and in response to other posts on the topic :)

fyi during development we tried out different control implementations and the single finger tap scheme was preferred by people both new to and familiar with the game.

20. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    Getting this now, hope I'll like it! Looks like a great game:)