Universal LostWinds - (by Frontier Developments)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Please add the other control implementations as options so we can decide for ourselves, and not let the opinions of the few who tested the game speak for us all. In this case, they surely do not.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes, having trouble coordinating the tap to where you want to go and then gust yourself up to that platform and the timing of such. I am glad that you don't lose lives for falling all those platforms. But it is frustrating to have to go through the process all over again when you struggled getting up there in the first place.

The controls as they are COULD work well with a bit of tweaking. But they just aren't intuitive as they stand. I forget that I have to tap a destination and then add a little wind gust in there to reach it. Then you get the double gust and it gets a bit more complex. Maybe just not make the destination tap required and when you get to a gap just allow the wind gust movement? That would significantly cut down on the back and forth of tapping and swiping at least.

I AM enjoying it, just having some frustrations.

3. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    What can I say? I liked a lot the game on WiiWare but never finished it because I was too much annoyed by the controls. On iPad, even if the controls are not perfect, it's a lot easier to "jump" where you want. So, it's a real pleasure to play this piece of art again and to discover all I missed before. I hope we'll see the next episodes on iOS :)

The picture mode is a funny addition :D

4. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I never had any problems with the controls on Wii....and it seems more folks are having problems with the IOS controls. SlideToPlay just 2'd it.

5. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Please make this an option and let users decide!

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    And Touch Gen gave it a 4.5 and made it an editors choice ;).

PocketGamer gave it a 7/10 (Bronze).

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    The controls are going to be an issue for many. They are a slight issue with me. I'm not sure that a directional arrow system would work great, because it would really lose the whole "wind gust" thing IMO. That being said, enough people are asking about it that it might be a good idea to add the option. One thing is for certain on my playing though: the experience is MUCH better on the iPad. The extra screen space makes the swipe jumps much easier to pull off. I use double screen swipes for longer jumps, and it works more often than not. Still not perfect, but not bad enough to keep me from playing. The game is beautiful, and I love so many elements from the game that I'm going to keep going.

8. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I have to say, I was having problems with the controls for jumping (and getting very frustrated) to the extent that I was going to give up - but then I actually read the instructions. I then realised that to jump you have to draw a line through the character (I was doing it from the character). As soon as I started doing that it became much, much easier, and I'm now jumping around with ease. So - please don't give up on this game, because once you get your head around the controls it's a superb, sublime experience.

9. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I know how the controls for the wind works...

10. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Yeah I cant believe that. This game is awesome, I will now completely disregard all of STP's reviews now. They always seem to inflate their scores anyway.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm not having any problems with the controls... And actually think they fit the game perfectly. I couldn't imagine this one having regular platformer controls. If you want typical platform controls, go get one of the 100 platformers that have them. This would be INSANELY easy with typical controls... And would take away so much of the charm and remove quite a few of the gameplay mechanics...

12. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I don't want regular controls. Just replace the tap-place-to-run by left and right buttons. The wind control is very good.

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Guys, just take 5 (!!!) minutes to learn the controls, then they are working pretty fine. No d-pad needed. No extra buttons needed. This is well thought out. Just one swipe here and there doesn't get recognized, that's a bit annoying. Besides that the game is easily one of the best platformers in the store. I'm having a wonderful time with it. Production is brilliant.

14. David Braben

David Braben New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    I'd love to know what you had in mind as I think we already have something similar to what you want (if you consider the buttons to be at each edge of the screen).

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    So you're saying difficulty should be determined by how bad the controls are?
    Sorry SV, but that's complete bollocks.

Anyway, I bought this (and a few other games) this morning, but I won't have a chance to play till I get back home... I imagine then I will join one of the camps: pro- or anti-controls. :rolleyes:

16. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    #96 O__o, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    The problem is that it is impossible to make a quick stop. When I "locked" running right for example and I want to stop I have to tap the screen anywhere and he will run to the point it tapped to stop. Sorry, the game is great but the controls make it impossible for me to enjoy it. So please devs I really want to play this game! Just a simple switch in the options menu :).

17. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    A Shift style scheme would combine well with the wind mechanics. Each screen half for movement and both for jump. It would keep the screen clean which I'm sure is right up there on your list of priorities.

If you'd told the 8 year old me, sitting at my Beeb B that this would happen one day I'd have laughed in your face. :D

18. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Game Impressions

Many of us gamers grew up with platformers, and I wouldn’t doubt that Mario or Sonic were among the first words some of you spoke. With the success of the iTunes store, we’ve seen plenty of console games ported over to iOS. One such game is LostWinds, a platformer adapted from the Wii which as a whole delivers an entertaining, albeit not perfect experience. LostWinds is lively and soothing all at the same time that will have you smiling with glee one minute, and i-device smashingly frustrated the next.

The story in LostWinds is about a boy named Toku who is empowered and assisted by sidekick Enril to defeat Balasar. You see Balasar is an evil spirit who escaped imprisonment is now intent on ruling the beautiful island of Mistralis. Speaking of beautiful, the devs behind LostWinds built the game using a 3D engine so everything from the trees and caves to the towns and fields take on a surreal aura. Arguably, this receives high marks on the gorgeous meter, providing a peaceful and pleasant environment. The shadows and background movement are additional touches that add to the experience. One of the things that struck me right away was how everything in each scene felt alive. While trees sway with the wind, blades of grass flap and mushrooms have a bit of bounce. Just what you want from a platformer, right? Well, it works, and I would be surprised if you turn some heads firing up this game out in public.

In addition to the great visuals is the equally entrancing soundtrack which I’d almost equate to listening to waves while falling asleep. Again, the devs create a rather dreamlike experience in LostWinds unlike what is typically seen in platformers.

The objective in LostWinds is to find Balasar which undoubted takes you through a muckety-muck of strange creatures and a discovery of new abilities and items for out little Toku. It’s also about exploration and puzzle solving so all the elements are there for a solid platformer. In LostWinds, the premise is about rediscovering memories, and there are several that you’ll be tasked with finding. Along the way, you’ll uncover abilities such as gust, slipstream and vortex among others, which by the way are catalogued in a special section accessible anytime during the game.

As you progress through LostWinds, Toku and you will need to solve a number of puzzles. Because the game is designed for a younger audience, many will find the puzzles rather simple. In many cases, it’s locating and placing something onto another (e.g. activating switches, pressure points). The best part of LostWinds is the exploration because you’ll come across doors and passages. It’s really this discovery that offers the most challenge because if you miss and item early one, you’ll likely need to go back and find it before being able to progress. Of course, the enemies are always fun such as the Glorbs (looks just like they sound), crabs (not the Boston kind), and birds (not Big Bird).

For many, the movements in LostWind will require a bit of patience and open-mindedness. Unlike the typical directional control pad and action buttons found in platformers, movement is done by touch. Moving from one place to another requires tapping the location. Movement from one side of the screen to other can also be accomplished through tap and hold. To jump, create wind or even burn a path (via slipstream for example), requires swiping the screen. For example, destroying enemies is done by gusting them—swooping them up with your wind (exactly as it sounds) and then slamming them into the ground. It’s not elegant, but it works. Put another way, line drawing to direct your abilities is a key part of the LostWind.

Initially, I found the control mechanism frustrating and somewhat tedious on my iPad. Jumping from a small ledge to another could be rather imprecise which often led to slowing my progress in the game. However, after playing through LostWinds and gaining abilities, the control scheme does become more second nature. Drawing straight lines—like a mad hatter in some cases) seems to work best.

Playing the game on the smaller screen iPhone, I found the touch controls can be difficult to use effectively which noticeably came down to finger size. The bigger your fingers, the more frustrating the controls could be. (Note that I have average-sized fingers perfect for a hand model, but not for throwing shot puts). For most, the controls will be a hit or miss proposition which simply comes down to personal preference. In considering alternative control schemes, a directional control pad with special ability buttons may be a necessary compromise in order to appease a wider audience.

LostWinds is a polished and imaginative experience that offers a change of pace from the typical fast-paced platformer. The wonderful environment and soothing soundtrack along with the relatively low stress gameplay makes it accessible to audiences young and old. However, the touch controls are a mixed bag, and won’t be ideal for those expecting a more traditional platformer control scheme.

Albie Meter: 4 Stars (offers a unique personality and charm in a highly polished 3D/2D package; difficulty level of puzzles more ideal for the younger audience; touch/swipe controls work well after practicing, but some may find them frustrating; controls more ideal for the larger screen iPad)

19. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Tapping both sides to jump?! The character cannot jump and shouldn't be able to. That would kill the game design ;)

20. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Yeah; I didn't explain that well; I fixated on the Shift scheme a bit. I mean the mantle up move but that could of course be accomplished by running into the step, as is.
    A good point.