Universal LostWinds - (by Frontier Developments)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #101 the9quad, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I'm a hand model, mama. A finger jockey. We think differently than the face and body boys... we're a different breed.
    Pic of Albies hand, true story. Awesome review albie, thanks a ton.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    The last jump in the first cave took me literally 15 minutes to make but I finally got it and now the controls for some reason are clicking more with me. They are tough, don't get me wrong but practice will allow you to figure out how much swiping is needed, etc. Luckily it is forgiving so that each time I fell I didn't lose any life. Or else I would have died a thousand times!

But the testament is I kept trying because I WANTED to learn the controls. I think if people change their mindset a little and understand these are the controls, learn them or don't, they will be in a much better place. Wrap your head around the game and stop expecting devs to bend to everyone's opinions - guarantee you if they introduce something else in there that OTHER people will complain.

I was actually almost going to give up but I REALLY wanted to escape the cave no matter how many tries it took and in the end it paid off since I feel more comfortable with the controls.

3. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Since you can do a tap to one direction, I think there should be a double-tap to jump then a swipe for air jump (double jump). That's all it needs imo. I like the gameplay so far. And the graphics doesn't seem all retina to me (and this is on an iPhone 4s) but it doesn't matter to me. There are some weird glitchy moments where it pauses in the air or when he's eating one of those fruits... but all in all, it is a decent game.

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Been playing around with it a bit and the controls aren't terrible, but how much of a compliment that really is IDK.

Anyways, I'd love to see two mostly transparent buttons on the bottom left. I hate to bring up a competing platformer (especially in the same week), but Terra Noctis has done a great job at concealing the buttons. They're again transparent and you can see through them. They have a bluish outline that goes with the game and doesn't look big, tacky, or intrusive. Controls like this plus the wind mechanic would work awesomely IMO.

5. TC Games

TC Games Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    iOS developer
    Looks awesome! Also, I love your guy's name!

6. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I'm loving this, and the control scheme. I just hold the left or right of the screen to run and tap above his head to stop, simples.

7. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #107 5duc29, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    The swipe jumps are starting to get really frustrating :(

EDIT: Almost getting the hang of it. Best way to go is swipe under Toku and it should work 90% of the time. It's frustrating because if I am almost to the top and messing up one time with the gust mechanic, I would end up in the bottom doing it all over again.

This might be a stupid question but I haven't figured it out to get the menu to pop up... I assumed that swiping at the top of the screen would help but it doesn't. Tapping didn't work.. How do I get the menu?

8. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Pretty sure the challenge in a game is not supposed to be determined by how much difficulty you have with the controls.

9. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    You mean seeing the pause button (where the menu is)? If you do nothing for some seconds, the button appears.

I finished the game (3 hours).
    It took me time to master the "vortex" gesture, other controls were ok (not really good but the fly is better than on WiiWare for me) and the gameplay ideas are good.

10. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    I know I must be really stupid to ask this question, but I just don't get to this '?' point on the map (west of wither falls I think). I get there, were you put the stone on that 'tablet' and then the stone doors open, but after that, I don't know what to do with the second stone... I just don't get it... Help would be really appreciated:)

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #111 GoofyJmaster., Dec 22, 2011
    You don't do anything with the second stone. You just go back and use the the new slipstream power to put the fire on the branches. Then you push the rock in that area down the new opening.

I hope that makes sense. I know where you're at but I did that part a little while ago and don't remember completely by heart. If that didn't help I'll just go back, do it, and write the help in detail.

----------------------

At the current moment, my only problems with the game is the small amount of melodia statues and my swipes not registering.

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    [​IMG]

That's right, LostWinds is a candidate for TouchArcade's Game of the Week!

If you want it to make the cut, nominate it for voting in this thread.
    :cool:

Note: This poll is for existing TouchArcade members only. Developers may not nominate/vote for their own games, nor bring outsiders in to vote.

13. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    My 2 cents..

BAD/Need Improvement:
    1.Make controls more responsive, don't change the way we interact with the game just make it work better more like fruit ninja and less like tiny lights (which was AWFUL!)
    2. Crushed 2 times, one was major I had to reboot.
    3. I don't know if it's a valid option, but make more levels :)
    4. Better retina graphics, although right know thew are pretty good,

GOOD:
    5. Awesome and original title.
    6. Nice plot, you don't get a lot of those nowadays.
    7. FUN!
    8. Lush envoiremnt.

14. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    #114 frontierdev, Dec 22, 2011
    Guys, your constructive suggestions on the controls are genuinely appreciated - any others that want to have their $0.02 worth please do keep them coming, we *are* watching with interest & will get back to you (we've been too busy today to do any posting, sorry :( )

Can't go without saying that, given what our main topic of discussion has been, I'm very pleasantly surprised to see Echoseven's post that we're in the running for Game of the Week (although perhaps *every* game released this week is up for it? Being new here I don't know the ropes yet). At the risk of appearing shameless & overly forward, if you do feel moved to vote for LostWinds it would be awesome :)

Anyhoo, catch up with you soon.

15. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for visiting, Frontier! Merry Christmas and thanks for bringing Lost Winds to IOS.

I'd love to see what you'd do with a game made specifically with IOS gamers in mind.

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Honestly, after putting some time into the game, the only problems I have are the lack of responsiveness and melodia statues. I really don't trust my iPod not to mess up, so it'd be nice if there were more statues! The responsiveness thing is just annoying, but I've gotten over it to an extent because I find myself really enjoying the game. But yeah, I've had to retry some jumps way too many times.

I definitely nominated LW for GOTW!

17. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I have avoided buying wii games so it is great to see this ported to iOS. Thanks.

Frontier will always be by favorite game developer because of elite franchise. Please port frontier elite 2 to iOS. I would pay $40 for it! That is a promise. why not hire a third party to do it? The nostalgia alone would get a lot of purchases. Please? I have run it under iDos but it runs very slow emulated. IDos mouse emulation doesn't work so well with it either.

18. subtract

subtract Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I've been curious about this game for years, and I'm delighted to see it on iOS. I read the STP review earlier this morning, and downloaded straight away - I thought they were pretty unfair to be honest.

I have no major issues with the controls. It'd be nice to have an option for some kind of left/right buttons, but the touch/swipe controls generally work well once you get the hang of them. Admittedly, I haven't progressed that far into the game but it's pretty forgiving for the most part.

I'm not sure what people are referring to when talking about the screen resolution, it looks gorgeous on the 4s. In short, it's a very good game and well worth a look.

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    All "major" game releases are candidates, and of those users nominate 5. The top 10 at the end of that are put into a poll where everyone has a chance to vote for their favorite.

LostWinds is definitely a major release and quite highly nominated so far.
    You are totally allowed to ask users to vote for your game, as long as you don't ask outsiders to come in *just* to vote. Good luck!

More on topic:
    I'm torn since I won't have the time to play this as much as it deserves for about a week... Ah what the heck, it looks too nice to pass up~

20. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    I put in some time on the high jump trying to get out of the cave so early in the game and just can't do it. I want very much to continue but I really hate it when frustration hangs me up right at the start. Maybe there are video walkthroughs to get me over the hump?

Wimp that I am, I like charming games (and this is that!) to have charming and more accessible controls.

I'll try again and maybe "get it" as you did. ;)