GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. LearnIIBurn

LearnIIBurn Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    I really want to buy and play this but I only have my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Will it scale well on the mini's screen?

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Deciding between this and Incoboto Mini. I enjoy action RPGs and this has a new game plus. I was wondering:
    1) how difficult
    2) how long
    3) any replay value

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you are looking for difficulty, length and replayability, the new game + is probably what will make this purchase worthwhile for you. I can't quite remember how many hours I put into the first playthrough (perhaps someone can help me out. 6? 8 hours?), but the second is taking its time, primarily thanks to the increased difficulty (which approaches brutal in places). So the length of the game, while no where near FFT/TWEWY/Aralon/Ravensword-immensity, is probably satisfactory to most, and the difficulty should probably please all but the really hardcore.

The second playthrough also has the advantage of introducing some new elements to the story, in addition to new items and increased difficulty.

Also, diffculty, length and replayability notwithstanding, this is one of the best action RPGs I've ever held in my hands and carried around in my pocket, rivalling quite a few of the less portable variety as well.

That said, Incoboto Mini is a great game as well. This choice of yours should not be an easy one :p

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Decided to go with Mage Gauntlet, and I am not disappointed. SNES games are before my time but I can appreciate a well made game. The controls are tight, the art style is nicely detailed, the story is great. And the game is just great fun. I'm all for difficult games so I can't wait to unlock Master Mode.

5. cutcontrol

cutcontrol New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    #1565 cutcontrol, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    My wild guess here is that you are overcomplicating things trying to resolve every conflict and solve every user story possible. Some of the projects I took part in had iCloud and it wasn't a biggy (bugs aside). And seeing all the App Store games that have it should make you rethink yo think :)
    If you'd really want to lay it on the user just so they would have more "control" over their saves you could implement iCloud somewhat like Limbic did in Nuts!. Take a look.

I also want to say something about the game as well. People in this thread alone have said a lot about the difficulty of Mage Gautlet. My personal observation leads me to conclude that the challenge doesn't come solely from deliberate game design, but also a design flaw. During gameplay I've took many hits while dodging and using charge attack. I've played a lot of games that had charge attacks and dodge mechanics and to the best of my memory they work differently. You don't get hurt. For a split second you perform the move you are invulnerable. The game rewards you for quick reaction. This classic rather than cliche mechanic was obviously scorched in to my mind by hours and hours of gameplay. That's why I've instantly took notice of it not working.
    EDIT: I did some testing just now and found that dodging is indeed working. It's just that timing is to sharp. Maybe just me.

6. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Sooooo any plans???

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Can't find End of hope sword?? can someone help im in master mode and still can't find it

8. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Well, I admit. I didn't buy this game until today, but I had no idea what I was missing out on! Between this and Wayward souls, Rocket Cat games are quickly creeping into my number one iOS dev slot. After playing for a bit I also got the RC fan pack iAP. I can't wait to play more of this!

9. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I've been playing this again since Wayward was released (I hadn't beat master mode in this yet) and sometimes I think MG is still the better game.

10. zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    I might have to play all of the rocketcat games released with this engine.

11. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Such a awesome game

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    The widescreen update is starting to roll out

13. bigsid

bigsid Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Installed the widescreen update but only the intro appears to be widescreen. Game itself still has black bars on the sides.

14. Apricosomoso

Apricosomoso Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
  15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    What device?
    On my iphone 5, the gameplay is supported, only the main menu is not...

Attached Files:

16. bigsid

bigsid Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Oh yup, you're right. Only the menu and map screen and not widescreen. Intro and game are.

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So happy right now

18. Astrosnout

Astrosnout Active Member

May 18, 2014
    Indie Game Developer
    Finland
    There can never be too many good fantasy-themed RPGs.

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Gaaaah, THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for finding a way to get this done while nose deep in Wayward Souls update work. Really, it's SO great playing this comfortably again. I did just play through about a month ago (on my iphone 5), but had a difficult time with the movement becoming unresponsive when drifting into the black bars. In the middle of a mob, it sucked. =oP
    Now... WOOO!!!! So happy. =oD

THANKS AGAIN!!

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    **edit** nevermind