Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    That's good to hear :)

Well, it doesn't really affect me that much, as I'll be getting it day 1, but it's nice that people get the option.

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Most likely 4 days or so. And if it got in the top 50, we'd have to extend the sale so as to not accidentally knock ourselves off the charts.

Before we just had it available one time and that's it, but just having it be IAP for late buyers seems like a good way to do it from now on. People can still get it, it's a way for people to throw money at us, and we can make the bonuses bigger this way in the future.

3. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

What is the timeframe of expected release dates and ETAs of this games superbly awesome contents on the appstore?

4. ProtoEclipse

ProtoEclipse Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Alright, good to hear. Will the early buyer bonus be tracked like it was with Hook Worlds, or did you figure out another way to give it out?

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Sometime in August?? You never know due to the time it takes for approval from Apple, possible rejection on approval delays on our end, wanting to cram in one last feature, etc. We'll keep people posted on twitter and the magegauntlet website, though, and should have a more narrowed down release date as we get closer to submitting the game.

That's a good question. We had some different plans after Hook Worlds (because some people didn't get it that should have), but we haven't looked into it yet. We're hoping we can link it into either the IAP system (easy redownloads) or maybe write a way to associate it with Gamecenter login, but need to check it out.

6. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    This game looks so amazing, I cant wait.

7. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Believe it or not, you can wait. ;)

But yes, it does look amazing.

8. polarsolstice

polarsolstice Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    So Kepa, if you've thrown away grinding and kill/fetch quests, what have you got left in an ARPG?

i bet Rocketcat have many interesting ideas, i am kinda hoping that the quests will be somewhat as creative as Super Mario games, where almost every level (quest in Mage Gauntlet's case) introduces a new gameplay element or a new creative way of using the same gameplay element. am i in for a good wish?

9. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    I wonder how long the gameplay is? I'm certainly happy with a shorter game experience so long as the quality remains consistently high throughout the entire experience. Judging from the trailer I'm sure this has at least 4 hours of gameplay (and probably more).

This game shot up to one of my most anticipated games for this year just from the trailer alone. And I'm happy hearing that day-one customers won't get potentially screwed on a 99 cent sale four days later (re: my forum post regarding Two Tribes putting their "Swords and Soldiers" game on sale just a few days after release).

Reminds me of Secret of Mana mixed a little bit with Chrono Trigger which are all good things.

Can't wait.

10. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    #30 Andiron, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    I'm sure they've gone back to the way that RPGs used to be - that is, actual heroic tasks and quests that can build upon each other such as "find out what is scaring the villagers so much" and then "kill the monster that has been terrorizing the villagers" to "find out why that monster was so angry/hungry", etc. You know, like what you'd find in a pen and paper RPG - could you imagine playing D&D with a quest from a village elder who says he needs 10 giant toad eyes?

The quests should make you feel like a real hero and give you some options for completing them - not making you feel like a pharmacist filling someone's prescriptions...

11. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Soooo... came to say that because of the trailer, I now own all 3 hook games :p

Looking forward to MG's release!

12. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    or just get a snes emulator on your ipod and play the original zelda that way...

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Right. Because playing a game that I've already played dozens of times over the past 20 years is exactly the same as playing a brand new game.

Ummm what? :confused:

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    One of the best trailers I've seen all year! Fantastic job Rocketcat!

wow. fail.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep really helpful comment ! Lets not buy any games at all and jailbreak our iphones and only use emulators.

16. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    yes now someone here understands me thank you!

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol.

#sarcasm

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Story, the sense of exploration from finding different monsters/areas/secrets, and an exciting combat system. I thought that was a weird question at first, though I guess a lot of really grindy-kill/fetch ARPGs sacrifice their story and dumb down their combat to make room for the grind.

We don't have "quests" in the newer sense of "do this arbitrary thing, get mandatory experience reward". Our quests are in the older sense of the word, before it meant "kill 20 dire boars" or "collect 10 hel boar tusks". You're given an important task to do via the story, and then your efforts to complete that task further the story along.

The game itself has an area (we call them chapters) and level based structure, kind of like Hook Champ's world map. You explore areas while fighting or avoiding monsters in your path, with the monsters changing each chapter and new ones being introduced frequently. We thought this level based structure would work better on iOS, but we'll see how people like it.

Yeah, our game progression is story based instead of grind based. You're given a task in the beginning of the game, and playing the game furthers and explores the story.

I'm not sure what changed the meaning of "quest" so badly. I blame Everquest for now. "Kill 20 rats" changing the RPG and MMO genres, forever.

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Been really busy adding more stuff and polishing what we have. I forgot to check back in on the thread for a bit.

Recently added 8 new spells, 3 new levels and 3 new master levels (decided to extend the endgame chapter, before it was just a one level boss fight), and a bunch of new loot items. We're getting close to the point where we'll force ourselves to stop adding stuff. When that happens, I'll get a count of the monsters/levels in the game, and try to figure out the average play length. I don't think it's going to be a huge timesink of a game because we don't have forced grinding, but the Master Mode (and some update stuff we're planning) should keep people busy.

20. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    I'm jailbroken. Emulation is a great use of the game and I don't pirate games er anything. Emulation is nice to have, but I don't only play emulated games. And BiteSMS is brilliant, among other very cool things. Everything jailbreaking does for one is awesome, just the pirating issue blows.

I've checked out the info on this game and watched the trailers and it looks awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to it. These additional end game chapters are also pretty nice additions. I love it when games have one secret dungeon and a stupidly powerful optional boss (something I'm hoping you guys would do).