Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    So you mean sort of like the end of Chrono Trigger, where you have a bunch of optional quests that provide more backstory for characters? Those sort of quests are so much better than some grindy bullshit for experience or something.

2. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    You had me at "story based". :D

3. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    You don't have to stop if you don't want to ;)

4. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #45 Kepa, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    If you beat the game, it unlocks a master mode based on the normal story mode. Our Master Mode is the entire game over with remixed levels: some levels pretty similar to the original, others with bigger changes. Either way, the enemy groups nearly double in size, you're limited to one life per level, and new nightmare variants of monsters are introduced.

You also get to keep your experience, loot, etc. It's like a fancier New Game+ sorta thing, mixed with the first NES Zelda's Master Quest.

Have to stop adding stuff eventually, or the game would never be released.

We did the master mode instead of optional quests, only had time to do one. We do have optional, sometimes hidden areas in the levels that provide more story. Next game I'd like to veer towards more optional, super difficult stuff, rather than having the difficult stuff in a completely separate mode. Big fan of the idea of entire hidden dungeons/chapters, but couldn't quite pull that off this time due to all the basics we had to figure out.

Edit: Thanks arta, forgot to post the TA trailer on the first page.

5. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    So your next game is going to be an RPG as well? (Maybe a sequel...)

6. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Kepa you guys keep outdoing yourselves, I can't wait for this one.

7. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    Yeah, I think I've watched the trailer about 20 times - its made from all natural 100% win.

8. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

If the Appstore would have a "Pre-Order" Option i would Preorder Games from RocketCat Games a Year ahead well knowing that i won`t be disappointed. Looking forward to playing this little Gem.

9. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    The gaphics are terrible! you could say its the style but i say its just lazy!

10. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    *Only a matter of time before the troll known as: handintoaster, gets banned*

11. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    To be honest, I was a little sad when I heard you guys weren't going to make another hook game, but I was instantly cheered up when I watched the trailer for Mage Gauntlet. Looks (and sounds) completely brilliant. This is going to be one of the best games of the year, I'm sure.

12. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    Begone troll.

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Your post is terrible! You could say it's the words but I say you are just a troll!

14. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    I know this is incredibly optimistic, but hopefully if this does well, we would see something like what the Hook Series did. Kind of like how Hook Champ did well and allowed more Hook games to be made and the idea to be expanded upon.

Then we can look forward to the ridiculous bosses in other new game +s. The basics have been done, so we can only look forward to improvements! :D

I love the sound of this Master Mode. I'll definitely be a first day buyer.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yet another 'great' post from this young kid, ridiculous

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The next game is going to lean more towards the action side and less towards story, and won't be a direct sequel but will be in the same world. But straight sequels for Mage Gauntlet are planned. We have a story arc ready, and ideas for gameplay changes that match the character's journey.

I think the RPG genre has a hell of a lot more room to expand on than our comparatively tiny little hook genre. If MG does well, we'll stay in this genre for awhile. I'd love to do a more Zelda-ey persistent world exploration game and also smaller, more rogue-like inspired RPG games, and the team really wants to do a Final Fantasy style turn based game.

We've built the framework of Mage Gauntlet in a way that will save us months of time when building other RPGs, in any of the above sub-genres.

17. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Great news! I'll make sure to be along for every part of it. I know nothing of the types of bosses that will be in this game, but the concluding boss should be brought back as an endgame boss for the next game, Darth Vader style, as the ridiculous "Whatever master-esque mode may be implemented later" mode enemy in the secret end game dungeon for the next games. :D

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Final Fantasy style turn based game?!? :D [Where is a "crying like a baby with tears of joy" emoticon when you need one]

19. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    No kidding...