Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    My favorite part about RocketCat Games is the extremely witty humor. This looks great.

2. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Nobody cares what you say, you impotent pig. Take your negative comments and jump back on your gameloft bandwagon. You want a game that sacrifices everything for the sake of graphics, then this thread was never where you should have found yourself. Rocketcat Games are all designed with the fans of 8-bit retro style in mind. It is a small company that works very hard on making some of the most original, and best games for iOS. As I previous stated, you want a mediocre looking, A lister knockoff game, then go to Gameloft.

3. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    What if you did a Metriodvania style game, where it's like Super QuickHook (best game btw) but in 1 giant world, so you get items later which you use to unlock paths you couldn't get to before...

+1

4. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    What kind of nods to your other games can we expect? I saw one of the early buyer bonuses is a samich hat which got me hopeful for a hookbot cameo. I at least want to see some other references to the hook series.

5. THE_BOSS

THE_BOSS Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    Pardon my language, but it had to be said. BONER.

6. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

lol! +1

7. Pteros

Pteros Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Mage Gauntlet takes place in the same world and just weeks after the events of Hook Champ+Super Quickhook. It's a few hundred miles away from the setting of the Hook games (Hook Champ, SQH and Zelle's mode in HW were practically within spitting distance of each other on the same island chain).

Don't expect the entire cast from the other games to bust down the door to say hello at random, though. There will be nods and references to previous games hinted throughout the game and some big surprises, but for the most part you'll have to explore and discover those secrets.

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We actually were going to do the above game (and have a big prototype still), but we stopped work on it awhile ago. We noticed that other people's metroidvanias just didn't really seem to sell on the App Store. Waiting for an exception to show up or be pointed out to us, because metroidvanias are an enormous time investment if you want to make a good one, which is probably why you don't see many. Maybe the SPIDER guys upcoming one can pull it off?

Mage Gauntlet takes place in the same world as the Hook Series, with the exception of Cybergnome 202X which was part FUTURE WORLD and part extended joke that the rest of the team could not stop me from making. Part of the world is wizards and magic, another part are a magic-technology blend like in Hook Champ. There's subtle nods to Super QuickHook in a few different ways.

9. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    I'm down with the aforementioned Final-Fantasy style turn-based RPG.

More down with getting this on my iPhone sooner than later. Will it be a late August release (hopes for an early one)?

10. Deity X

Dec 7, 2009
    I wasn't expecting a full blown appearance from every character but I'm glad to see there will be references. Next on my questions..... bears. Are there any in the game and will I be able to get one as a pet?

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    It couldn't have been said any better....

12. achievements?

it looks great so far, is this game going to have achievements?!

if it does, I would love to add it to my achievement site!

mickey

13. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    #73 Teh_Ninja, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    I knew I remembered you mentioning that, and how it got scrapped.

Again I can't wait for this game, what do you plan on adding in the future, boss rooms, more weapons....hats?

EDIT: What ever happened to AdamG3691 and his pizzarolls obsession?

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Maybe on the first, though not on release for the second bit.

A monster arena wave-survival mode with scoreboard (first update, different arena types later if it's popular), new levels (when we can, though we're limiting ourselves on this a little due to planned sequels), new loot. We'll also add some IAP loot each update, and we're finally doing some functional loot. Most likely a hat, pet, sword, robe, and trinket following a certain theme each update. It won't be more powerful than the loot you find in the game, but there will be some interesting options.

We were also originally going to do a procedurally generated endless dungeon mode, but more news on what's going to happen with that idea, later.

15. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Please one time purchase for the IAP, I hate when RPG's have IAP and it's for like "10 reset skill" and once it runs out you have to re-buy it.

16. THE_BOSS

THE_BOSS Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    +1 to this. HATE it when there is loads of micro DLC. What happened to making a full game? I'd rather pay more for a game with no micro IAP but would pay for deep, game enchanting expansions.

17. Deity X

Dec 7, 2009
    I'm happy that there is even a possibility of a bear pet. I would like to think it would the one from super quickhook that wasn't playable because, well, bears are friggin big. Also, the metroidvania style game would be a dream come true. I'd be cool to see if the hook mechanic could reappear as a navigation item. Anyway, I'm exited for the game.

18. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Future note for Kepa ;)

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    What RPG's have that? I can guess that it's also an RPG that you had to pay 5 bucks for on top of that. That's pretty hilarious.

The IAP for this game are all permanent items. Generally sidegrades/alternates to what you can get in treasure chests through exploration. The best loot items are found in Master Mode, though, not on the IAP lists.

I don't know how we'd do the hook mechanic in a top-down game. We still have plans for a metroidvania style game, just probably not for the iPhone.

20. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I can list them if you want.....(even though you were sarcastic)

*drools*

I think he was referring to the Metroidvania game, which I'm guessing would not be a top down.