Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Yeh I was referring to the metroidvania game having a hook. You could use use it to swing through the halls or to throw yourself over an enemy and hit them in the back.

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, I already have an idea of what games you're talking about.

Oh, I misread! Yeah, we had plans for a hook game that was more about exploration and combat. One day we'll make it, but not necessarily for iOS.

3. Deity X

Dec 7, 2009
    I can wait.

4. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    That's what you meant, right?

5. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas

Maybe for XBLA *cough* *cough*

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Steam and XBLA would probably be more appropriate for a really twitchy, aerial grappling hook metroidvania like we were planning, yeah.

Top down action RPG really works well for the iPhone, though. We spent a lot of time getting the controls and camera right. Still need to see if we can do iPad specific controls on top of that, which will be a polish phase thing.

7. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas

Please, this would be awesome.

You should port the Hook games to XBL, I think they would sell extremely well, and considering the amount of content you put into your games it would work.

8. CrunchyGamer

CrunchyGamer Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Cool! it looks like a lot of variety and environments, I´m getting it as soon as it hit the appstore!

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't know if we'd port any of the hook games. Not that we couldn't. It's just that if we were looking at the Hook games again, we'd probably want to redo the controls completely to match playing it on a controller rather than touchscreen. Then I'd want to redo the levels. Then probably the art and story. It would snowball pretty quickly in just doing the entire game over from scratch.

10. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    [​IMG]

Since this was posted on your Twitter just now, I wanted to ask a couple questions about the pets. What function will they have (attack monsters, increased stats, etc)? And will the pets be functionally different, or just have different looks? (I really like the fireball guy, BTW.)

11. Ghostpants

Ghostpants Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    I'm assuming they just give stat boosts judging by the description of the rocketcat pet they give on the website.

Rocketcat Fan Pack
    A 2 dollar IAP for late adopters, you'll get it for free. Contains a rocketcat pet that will follow you around and give a small stat boost! Also contains seven hats and one sandwich you can wear as a hat.

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Depending on what kind of sandwich it is, the idea of a sandwich-hat is pretty exciting.

13. Deity X

Dec 7, 2009
    Holy crap there is a piggy. I can get a pig as a pet. Awesome. Just awesome.

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I want that hat wearing cat!!! :D

15. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Man, I can't wait for this one! :)
    I know I won't be disappointed.

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just watched the trailer. Looks like this is going to good stuff as usual from Rocketcat. Interesting switch from hook games though. Much more excited for this one than I was for any of those. Love the genre and where you guys are trying to go with it.

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Each pet gives a small stat increase to you. Different pets have different stat increases, though because the stat increase is small, you're not really penalized for using one pet over another. None of the pets attack monsters right now, they just sort of follow you around. If the pet thing is popular, we can probably expand on their functions later/in sequels.

We're also planning different colors for each pet, and not all the pet types were shown in that picture.

Hat wearing cat is part of a 2 dollar IAP pack. The pack's free if you get the game early. It's our version of a pre-order incentive.

18. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    If we buy it on day 1 (which I totally am!), do we pick 1 of them to be our pet or do we get all of them?

19. Deity X

Dec 7, 2009
    Is pig the strength pet? I want strong piggy.

20. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    My speculation is the you earn the other pets later throughout the game. Just a guess, though.