iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I saw its tab in-game so I have to assume so. The only catch is that you can't play against REAL people in this mode on the iPad. :(

I'm surprised, as the Palneswalker series seems so character focused, they never incorporated the Vanguard variant in here (each player takes on a character that grants them unique abilities as well as modified starting life and hand size):

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/vanguard/productinfo

2. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    I liked Archenemy and I really, really like PlanesChase!!!

Puzzles and encounters are optional.

It certainly does. :)

3. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    In 2012 they were purely optional. Hmm. Hopefully walkthrus will be posted soon enough. The stacked deck bit might not be so bad as long as MY deck is shuffled, but the challenges are sheer annoyance.

4. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Seriously. This is a AAA title that will provide countless hours of enjoyment that obviously took a lot of development effort. It costs less than a dinner item at an average restaurant and still people complain. :rolleyes:

5. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    They are optional.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If you bitch about the price of this game I hope I never catch you complaining about the lack of AAA titles on the App Store. Magic 2013 is the real deal, and it's incredibly disheartening to see typical price bitching on such a high quality game that we've been essentially begging for since the iPad was released.

Sigh.

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    100% agree!

8. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I agree on pricing but I HOPE that Wizards of the Coast don't fold on this in the future and drop the price, that just feeds the cycle.

9. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I never played this sort of game before (I'm usually more into shooting people in the face :) ), how easy is it for a complete n00b to get into it?

10. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    There are many enthusiast and fans of the game who will make the purchase without any hesitation but I can understand that newcomers who are only slightly interested in the game because of how popular the franchise is may stall at forking out $$ for it.

I think it boils down to how interested you are in the game. I myself wouldn't pay a single cent for BF3 or any FPS on any platform.

11. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Free to download and try. Check it out.

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Enjoy itso far. I am ready to drop the 10 bucks. Well, some people are too happy to pay much more for SQEX stuff which are recycled to death. Of course I don't a drop but I don't mind at current price. :D

13. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    It's free to download and find out.

I wouldn't call it easy, but for Magic you'll get no easier.

14. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    there is tutorial game and hint system, which will help you to get into game (i also didnt played this sort of game before)

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

"Newcomers who are only slightly interested" can download it for free, and play more than enough of the game to determine whether or not they'll enjoy the rest. There's no leap of faith here, it's just embarrassing iOS gamer pricing entitlement at its finest.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Compared to straight action realize this is really just a strategy card game. It will be a lot slower paced and require some basic math.

17. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010

This made me lol.

This game is awesome. I'm loving how many unlocks there are in each deck, it's going to make online play a lot more interesting than last year's installment

18. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Don't worry. I'm more than happy with the quality of games I'm getting either free or for 69p

19. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Asynchronous play?

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Not really possible since nearly every action you make in game can be responded to. Turns would take an eternity.