iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    If i am not mistaken, campaign progress is saved via game center, but unlocks is still saved via app data.

2. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Is an android version of Magic in the works?

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Agreed. 100%. This game has gotten so much play in our house between my wife (primarily) and my play time. That's the beauty about Apple's ecosystem, buy once and every other device has immediate access. I understand Android may have the same thing, but it's just so seamless here.

Anyway, paying the extra money for the decks is a little higher than what we are used to, but each deck opens up a new experience, and that's pretty awesome for me. More campaign is always good, though. I'd like a random selection of AI to play against, I have no interest in playing another human. My wife kicks my butt enough as it is.

I doubt it. Due to the inconsistent hardware on android, and the fact that WoTC has been able to optimize this to run on hardware that's the equivalent of the 3Gs (BARELY), they would have to go through some crazy work to make this port over to android. Especially when it seems like every tablet they produce is a different aspect ratio and screen size. With the ipad it's always a factor of... Whatever. It's easy to keep the same size and increase the detail.

4. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    While I know I might spend around 24 USD total (9.99 Full Games + 4.99 Expansion + 2.99 Deck Pack 1 + 2.99 Deck Pack 2 + 2.99 Deck Pack 3) by January 2013 for this game, I think the replayability, even against AI is more than enough to say that the game is worth the cost (and as andsoitgoes just said, purchase once, and share to family members).

Yes there are bugs, yes there are no promo cards for the new DLC which are crappy by the way, (been having mana issues so I am now back to my favorite and most reliable deck, Obedient Dead) but I haven't played a game as much as Magic 2013. I just hope Magic 2014 will address a lot of common issues like better multiplayer, bug fixes, custom lands, etc. Can't wait. :D

5. minasman

minasman New Member

Nov 12, 2012
    i am searching it too

6. jayjayjay

jayjayjay Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    i really love this !!

7. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    #1227 cprloe, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    I read that the full unlock is going on sale for $4.99. I know this is a really dumb question, but where do I go to buy the full unlock? When I go into the store menu, all I see are cards for 99 cents each, the expansion for $2.99, and Deck 1 for $2.99.

I don't want to unlock the cards. I want to earn them myself. I just want access to the full game.

8. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    You should see it as option ingame, unlock full game its called i think (something like that)

By the way i have different kind of question.
    I bought it few months ago (without any extras).
    I had it on my Ipad 3rd gen, that i sold two months ago.
    Now i have new Ipad 4th gen, installed Magic 2013 again and it offers me unlock full game, does it mean i need to buy it again? or when i confirm payment it will tell me that i already bought it? im still using same account as i had on 3rd gen Ipad.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    You should see it in game. In iTunes, it shows 4.99 (but info is truncated). In the appstore app on the ipad after you select the top IAP, it should also show full game unlock for 4.99.

I never tried for Magic, but for previous games that I bought content IAP and didn't have a "restore purchase" menu option.. I'll just select to buy it again, when when I went through the buying process, it'll say you've bought it already and unlock for me. Its an unnerving process, but at least in my case I've never gotten charged twice.

10. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Thanks for information mr. tops2 :)

11. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Mode for iPad

Magic is excellent on iPad, it does take up a lot of memory space, but the graphics are amazing and the game itself has always cried out for a touch interface.

12. kmoirkne

kmoirkne Member

Jun 21, 2012
    4 card limit

I stopped playing after ice age, but started playing the games. I am not sure if the rule changed, but I thought it was a 4 card limit except for mana. The campaign gets a little ridicules, they play 8 or 9 of the same card.

13. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The Encounters doesn't follow any rule, and is supposed to 'Challenge' your deck by going through something different, like all decks having nothing but Suntail Hawks.

Campaign is the normal game, and the Revenge mode is simply a harder version of Campaign. There's also a Challenge mode, where in a set of problem is presented for you to solve it. And of course, Planechase mode, which is a four player battle that requires you to roll a die to maximize the Planechases.

14. Outrager

Outrager Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Thanks. I was wondering the same thing when they played like 8 of the same cards.
    I really like the challenge mode because it reminds me of the puzzles in old Magic magazines (I think it was called InQuest?), but it's so much easier to figure out when you can actually play it out in game instead of just in your mind.

15. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Used to subscribed to Inquest, best magazine there is that time. Haha. Magic 2013 has its flaws, many flaws infact, but is still a game worth playing. I can't wait for the other DLCs, then Magic 2014! :D

16. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Magic 2013 DLC Pack 2 coming out December 5, 2013 (on xBox, should be out for iPad 5/6)! :D

Source: Offical DotP forum.

17. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    This ought to stir things up... so far there are 17 playable decks: rank them.

Great Decks
    Krenko
    Jace
    Talrand (though extremely hard to play well)
    Golgari

If I was playing online and wanted to win, I'd use one of these four decks. In each case the threat the deck produces is more powerful than the weaknesses it has - the decks are almost always in the driving seat and asking the questions the opponent will struggle to answer. Talrand is a bit of an exception in that I think 90% of players would lose with it all the time, but the 10% who are experienced Magic players will get a lot more out of it - it's almost certainly the most skill-intensive deck available.

Good Decks
    Odric
    Chandra
    Izzet
    Liliana

While I know I'd be risking a loss I'd be happy to play one of these decks. These decks all have a strong theme and a clearly signposting way of generating card advantage and winning the game. In Izzet and Liliana you have the two best control decks but in each case I feel these decks have a particular weakness against another strong deck type.

Average Decks
    Yeva
    Ajani
    Selesnya
    Azorious (high variance - either crushes or folds)
    Simic

These decks all tend to have strong theme that synergises very well within the deck, but they have limited ways of interacting with the opponent so if the opponent's plan is better than your plan they can't really disrupt it. Azorious is a deck that lives or dies on it's opening hand more than any other deck and Mulliganing well is really important. In so many games an Invisible Stalker and Empyrial Armor will be an auto-win, but in other games you'll draw two Stalkers and no Armor, or two Auras and no Stalker or Spiritdancer to enchant. I enjoy playing all these decks, but know that they represent a risky choice.

Bad Decks
    Garruk
    Nefarox
    Rakdos (seems to either draw 2 Demigods or lose)
    Boros

Bad aggro decks are bad. None of these decks offer a compelling route to victory - Garruk is slow and cumbersome, Nefarox just folds to any sort of creature removal, Rakdos has loads of substandard cards propped up by Demigod of Revenge, and Boros is... well... a bad Chandra/Krenko/Odric deck.

So, agree/disagree with my views?

18. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Hard to rank them because all depends on good/bad draws still. I say, Magic is 33% deck build, 33% good draw (luck), 33% skill. Conservative percentage. :D But anyway, here's mine. For Magic 2013, I think aggro deck doesn't really last. With the exception of creatures with protection (color), most of them can be held back, and be beaten once they run out of steam.

Tier 1

Krenko - Best deck, especially against slow and blue decks, no doubt.
    Golgari - Crazy control deck, set up required, but usually can hold most early agro.

Tier 2 (Very close to Tier 1 I'd say)

Talrand - Craziest deck when set-up is in place, slow, tends to get raped by agro though
    Liliana - My favorite and most successful deck. Good control and good creatures.
    Odric - My second favorite deck, sucks against hexproof, can own most.
    Chandra - Really good deck but I've not had much success with this.

Tier 3 (fun deck, bad, but can still be awesome with a really good draw)

Rakdos - Really good deck, but requires a good build, not relying on Demis.
    Yeva - If engine runs, hard to beat.
    Selesnya - Again, if engine runs, hard to beat.
    Simic - I'd say this is more a tier 4 deck, but lots of good cards here.
    Izzet - Good against agro, bad against beast.
    Garruk - If you can fetch forest like crazy, then this deck can be crazy.

Tier 4 (worst deck, but can be awesome with a really good draw)

Boros - Slow for an agro, one board wipe is enough to shut this down.
    Azorious - No hexproof, no win.
    Nefarox - My least played deck, can beat you down fast, but thats it.
    Ajani - Gain life all you want, you will still lose.
    Jace - Mill all you want, you will still lose.

Having ranked all of them, just need to strongly point out that, in certain scenarios, Jace can still beat Krenko. No sure win, since I still believe with luck, deck build and skill of the player.

19. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    #1239 Jambo, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    I've had good joy with the following online and would probably rate them tier 1:

Odric (Best all-rounder alongside Lilianna)
    Azorious (Invisible Stalker is your friend)
    Talrand (Amazing if you can avoid/halt the rush)
    Lilianna

20. Damian83

Damian83 Member

Nov 22, 2011
    how does it works the saving method? on xbox, all unlocked cards, decks customizations, settings etc, was stored online, so u never lose them. its the same on ios? i know that in-app purchases can be restored in the option menu, but what happens to remaining things i mentioned above?