Magic Light $.99 --> Free

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by awp69, Nov 7, 2013.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    That would probably be one of the last apps I would ever delete since its one i use fairly regularly. But I'm on 6.1.3 so I'm fine.

2. tunaVille

tunaVille Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2013

3. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Really? Surely you understand how important the difference between your iPod music in the background and a games soundtrack are?

Your music collection wasn't composed to meet the feel of the game.
    It isn't timed to your button presses.

It is a cool option, but does not replace a games soundtrack.
    The audible experience in a game can take a 6/10 game and make it an 8/10; and the best game with zero sound down to a 5/10 at best.

It's part of the experience.

4. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Actually they are. There's a HUGE catalog of royalty free, and free to use music/SoundFX on line under the "creative commons" license.

Furthermore, me and a lot of other indie ios musicians will gladly help any indie dev for free if they truly need it because of no budget.

I'd only ask for my name in the credits.

5. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    To me if a simple puzzle game requires a great story, music, sound effects or othe superfluous things to be good then it's not a good game. It's all about gameplay first for puzzle games. Even Pivvot had to meet this criteria for me, and I've played it muted and its still a great game. Outside of games built for an atmospheric presentation (including music games like Cytus & Tone Sphere), I feel most games need to first have great gameplay. Even above graphics.

6. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    It doesn't require it. In fact, this game is quiete competent on its own...
    But a great soundtrack would make the experience more engaging.

7. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It sure could. What could also be cool would be if lighting up the targets somehow influenced the music to morph from dreary to upbeat or do something else cool like add instruments. The possibilities are endless.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I agree that music would be nice, but as one who tends to do a lot of gaming on mute, it's far from necessary to make a game good.

In some games, like something spooky such as Indigo Lake, sound is an important part of the experience. And those I only play when I can listen. But puzzle games and even runners and platformers ... Most of the time, the sound is not what makes the game enjoyable to me.

To say a game with no sound is at best a 5/10 is extreme. Just my two cents.

9. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013

There's not any game that would or could be great with zero sound...it's just one of those things that has to be there.
    They could have at least added some atmospheric soundscapes and a couple minimal SFX. Easy work, and with all the free samples available, its costless.
    No sound, period, is lazy coding.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #30 awp69, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    I'm not saying games don't benefit from a soundtrack. But to say a game automatically cannot be better than a 5/10 without one is absolutely ludicrous. Let's just agree to disagree.

I'll play and enjoy this game. Go ahead delete the game yourself since it clearly is a piece of crap with a failing grade because of your expectations.

And BTW, I guess if I took the opposite approach and said Papa Sangre was a 5/10 game because it relies on sound and all games have to have graphics that should be fine with you. I can't play that game because I'm deaf in one ear but I know it's probably a great game.

But my issue is that you state things as fact. Not opinion. If you don't like a game because it doesn't have sound. Fine. But get off your high horse saying that a game needs sound "period" or it sucks. It simply isn't true for everyone. It's my opinion that this is still a fun game.

11. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I thought it was pretty cool and very different. Just play your own music if you need any. It could have used some sound effects at least whenever you light up some orbs and when you finish a stage to complete the experience but it's all about the puzzles anyway. They're quite fun and refreshing. :)

12. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    As a musician though, it's more important to you in the experience than it is to someone that's just a gamer. I bet graphic artists have an affinity towards games with that extra effort put into the visuals. Honestly, most of the time I play games on mute because I don't want to put on headphones or bother others. Then again most games don't put that much extra effort into music I want to listen to or sound effects that don't get annoying. So often music gets muted, sound effects may stay on and I'll fire up my own tunes.

13. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Wow, what a crazy thread...

For the record, as a professional musician myself (live performance, recording, etc. for, well, let's just say a few years), I wouldn't jump out a window over missing BGM, let alone downrate a game or take up virtual arms over it... :rolleyes:;):D

I love me a great soundtrack, but I've yet to get entitled or arrogant enough to pretend that I know better than the creator of the art (yes, I look at games as artistic expressions/products, sue me) what should be where and why.

DBC

14. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #34 Lazer Kat, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    I haven't started virtual arms (only stating my opinions) -- but down rating a game because of zero sound -- of course. I judge games on the following criteria:
    - graphics;
    - controls;
    - gameplay;
    - replayability (is that a word?); &
    - sound.

I don't think either of these^ are more important or less important than the others. I can understand and excuse the game not having music, or atmosphere (I guess), but not offering even minimal SFX? I just can't think of any reason why that decision was made.

For the record, I like this game and have been playing...but my music was not created to go with this game, and doesn't fit.

I'm sorry if I rubbed someone the wrong way. I certainly didn't try to be rude. i guess i made the mistake to assume everyone knew that when someone makes a comment on a message board about the standards they hold something to when rating it, that the corresponding comment is only an opinion. Nothing more. I am passionate about my opinions, sure. But I do not intend to be rude in any way, and honestly don't feel I was.

15. TheRybka

TheRybka Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Way to rip off Auditorium - even if there's no sound.