iPhone Magic: the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Talbs, Apr 12, 2012.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Card gamers on iOS are going to be spoiled for choice after this and Summoner Wars come out. We already have Ascension, Nightfall, Shadow Era, Cabals, AC: Recollection and further down the line we're also getting Agricola, Dominion, Thunderstone and expansions for Nightfall.

2. Sojourn

Sojourn Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if asynchronous was supported -- with every phase of every turn (including every time a card is played), it is possible for the other player to somehow respond. It would take forever to get through a turn if after every card/phase, you had to wait for your opponent to log back in and allow you to proceed.

I'm super, SUPER excited for this game. I've been wanting M:TG on my iPad ever since the first iPad was released -- it seemed like it would be the perfect platform for a CCG.

3. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Yep I agree Asynchronous seems really unlikely for the exact reasons you've mentioned, it would be too cumbersome. I know that DOTP 2012 received updates and expansions and its likely this edition will as well, I just hope the iPad edition is supported as well as PC and console.

4. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    How much money do you guys think you'll have to spend to get competitive decks build? I'm hoping much less then assassins creed recollection.

5. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    You don't really build decks in this series.
    You buy pre-constructed decks that are only minimally customizable with cards unlocked through play.

6. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    That's good, sorry for my ignorance. I play lots of card games and always hear how MtG is the king. Really excited to get this. It's even better knowing I donT have to spend a bunch of money just to get single cards. So how does this work then, are there factions or something similar?

7. sladeums

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Something similar, yes.
    Without knowing the rule set it doesn't make much sense ... but they are based on the color/land/mana types the decks are built around.

Each of the decks tends to focus on a particular style of card/play... ie, direct damage; card/deck manipulation and control; heavy offense; heavy defense , etc.

These decks from the physical version mirror what is in the digital version, for reference, and explains each deck's primary theme :
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/dotpdecks/themedeck#deck1

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    A HUGE kludge, to be sure, but clearly their attempt to keep a little balance and narrow things down for the AI (just imagine if they allowed all of the cards...the AI would melt).

9. sladeums

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah, I dunno ... for me this gets old pretty quickly.
    Having last years version on my PS3, I'm not terribly interested in buying another.

If this was the original Duels of the Planeswalkers (circa '97), and not the 2k version I'd be all over it.
    The original version was aweeeeesome!

This version is ok...
    More so for newcomers in particular.
    It is easy to get into and can certainly be fun while it lasts, but the lack of customization really hobbles long term replayability for me.

Then it sounded like from the TA impressions this version won't support mp for more than 2...that would have probably been the only thing that might have lured me back in.
    With 4 people it makes the pre-fab decks a little more interesting since you can have so much going on at once, but with just 2 players after a while it feels a little too predictable to me.

10. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Forgive me since I'm totally new to these card games (picked up Ascension a few weeks ago and quite like it.)

In the PS3 or other previous versions, how many prebuilt decks comes with the base game? From what I gather, the IAP is for fixed expansion paks that lets you modify your deck a little?

With my good experience with Ascension, it it me interested in this game.

11. sladeums

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    #31 sladeums, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    Assuming the iOS release will be the same as every other platform, 10 decks.

edit:
    The screenshots look really nice:
    http://toucharcade.com/2012/06/10/e3-first-screenshots-of-magic-the-gathering-duels-of-the-planeswalkers-2013-for-ipad/

12. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    One can only hope they can add a bit more deck customization.

I know they don't want to infringe on Magic the Gathering Online's turf, but just a little freedom in deck construction would be cool, especially when there isn't already an MTGO app.

If you're playing and liking Ascension, perhaps try Shadow Era. It's cross platform and quite a well designed TCG with deck customization.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't think that's it at all. It's what was said above---for a single-player experience, you need to constrain the deck or the computer opponent just can't handle the complexity. Even on a PC, much less on iOS.

14. Skyrise

Skyrise Well-Known Member

I'm a HUGE Magic the Gathering fan, can't wait to try this on the new iPad!

15. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Does anyone know whether the original Ipad will be supported?

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This is what I'm praying will be a yes for iPad 1 inclusion. I won't be upgrading my wife's iPad until next year, when she will get my iPad 2, and she will be broken hearted if this won't work, even if it runs slowly :(

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Maybe if she got the newer device, and you got the older one, your eagerness to upgrade would be increased.

18. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Nice shot.

The previous version I played allowed you to unlock cards and add them to your deck. What I wish is for them to allow us to remove existing cards (or even toggle land counts). I don't see how much harder it'll be to do up a proper AI for that...

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Hahah. No. She's more than happy with the old tech. You can't give these women too much, they'll start to get uppity and expect things like jewelry and then, ugh, respect. I can't have that!

(in case anyone was wondering, I am being sarcastic... About being everything but not being concerned with tech. She's happy with whatever :))

20. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's vastly harder to do a decent AI that can play against arbitrary decks. They can turn an AI for a particular deck, and it can still play ok if you add some cards, but playing against any deck you can build by adding and removing any cards you want, is much, much harder.