iPad Man at Arms TD: Pocket Edition (By Inert Soap)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by drdeniz79, Jan 23, 2014.

1. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Thanks, Joe -- I'll take a look at the arrow-speed cards and see what might be making it malfunction. I'll also take a look at the general group of arrow speeds and make sure that they're all roughly in line with what's intended -- sometimes we set something one way, and then make a completely different change, and suddenly it's out of whack.

For buildings -- our hope is to do a paid expansion pack, probably (still finalizing this) a snow/ice theme, with a new world map. Depending on exactly how much content we get in (for monsters, cards, and buildings, and how many total levels we create for it), it'd be either 99 cents or $1.99, I think. In that, we're hoping to get more new buildings in -- some new L4 variations (like a Blizzard Mage), and some new L1/L2 specialized buildings. For those, we'll try to put in new behaviors like you mention. And please, yes -- feel free (anyone here) to mention thoughts; right now is when we're developing the buildings and units, so while we obviously won't use everything, it's definitely the time for us to integrate new ideas!

2. shaymon

shaymon Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Looking forward to this!

3. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Patch v1.5

Hey, all,

Nothing on the expansion pack yet, but the iPad version did get the v1.5 patch released last night. It mainly has (a) some fixes for graphics crashes that were hitting people in the 1.4 patch, and (b) some minor additions and balance changes, that go along with three new sample levels (two medium, one difficult).

Those are mostly for show as we get more complicated new stuff set for a later patch, but it means there are things like mines that generate gold, better "defended bridge" capabilities, some playing around with other defender cards (where friendly NPCs run up to fight monsters, like in Into the Deeps), and stuff like that. Nothing huge, but a bunch of little things, at least. :)

4. shaymon

Sep 3, 2013
    Thanks for the levels! Enjoyed the mine one. Looking forward to being able to build those. Liked the less fire damage taken card as well.

5. Mephala

Mephala Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Hi! Is there any way to play seeing the full map on the iPhone like on KR? Right now just seeing part of the map makes it hard to tell when the troops are advancing without constantly scrolling. Thanks!

6. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Thanks, Shaymon! We put in a rare-drop mine card, as well -- so there's a chance that you can pick one up and use it as a unique L1 building. I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure it's balanced well .. we tried to make it play properly with initial build cost and base gold generation rate... but we might have to adjust it down the road to make sure it's neither too powerful, nor useless.

7. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Hi, Mephala,

Sorry for the confusion. When we were doing beta testing on the phone version, we had a way to play at fully zoomed out view. People ended up playing that way all the time, and then they actually liked the game less, mainly because (a) they tended to mis-aim spells and troop rally points, and (b) the artwork just looks cruddier when zoomed way out.

Because of that, we put in the current system, where you can zoom out, but only in a pause mode. We've certainly heard from a number of players here, though, who would like to get the chance to try it the other way, so we've been thinking of trying it again in a new patch.

8. shaymon

Sep 3, 2013
    Oh, and it drops on any level? A farmin I must go!

9. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Technically it'll drop on any level, but it'll be more likely on the ones at least midway through the overall campaign (the later levels drop fewer-but-rarer cards, while earlier levels drop more frequent-but-common cards).

.. at which point you can tell us just how unbalanced it is to use in normal play. ;-)

10. Harkonis

Harkonis Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Finally got an ipad, never got the phone version to work properly, is there anyway to upgrade?

11. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Send me an e-mail message at [email protected] and we'll get you hooked up with the iPad version. :)

12. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    We're a finalist!

Hey, everyone!

Thought I'd mention that we're a finalist in the 2014 Tabby Awards, in the iPad Games section: http://tabbyawards.com/finalists2014/ipad-games/

We're totally happy to be in the running -- and in parallel with the judged results, there's a User Voting section. If you like Man at Arms, we'd be much obliged if you visit their page, and then tap the big red button to vote for us! :)

13. shaymon

Sep 3, 2013
    Awesome! Will do!!

14. Mercy_94

Mercy_94 New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    new levels?

Hi Tricket,
    a while ago you mentioned you're working on new levels. Is this still the thought? If so any idea when you will release them?
    - can't wait

many thanks

15. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Hey there!

Yes, we are, but it's definitely been slow going -- things like my new baby daughter, and some long days of jury duty, have slowed things down. But we're working on a "level pack" that will be available for an extra cost (either $0.99 or $1.99, most likely), and will feature a "hidden ice-age valley" theme that should let us play around with some new monsters/abilities, alternate buildings, and things like that.

If people are interested in testing them out before we release, in beta form, let me know and I'll send out some TestFlight invites when we're at a good stage. :)

16. Mercy_94

Mercy_94 New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Ice Age

Hi tricket,
    thanks a lot - looking forward to it and happy to assist in testing.....

17. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    I would be up for that Tricket

18. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Thanks, folks -- we're not quite there yet, but once we're even into the very rough testing stages, I'll check back here and e-mail everyone who has mentioned it, along with posting new information about testing the levels!

19. shaymon

Sep 3, 2013
    Good news!! Patiently waiting!

20. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Art Comparison

I was working with some layout stuff today, and I thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing Tom's creative artwork versus what our artists actually create. :)

So -- for this expansion, I sent the artists some information about how we wanted the map to look, along with my awesome representation of it .. that's sample "1" attached.

Then they talk with us about elements, and create an initial mock-up sketch ... that's sample "2" here.

Makes you wonder if I even need the artists, right? Mine is clearly almost as good! :)

Attached Files: