iPad Mass Effect Galaxy By EA [&0.99 Sale]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Well I'm not that far into it, but if you're looking for a fun, story oriented, high production valued, top down shooter, then it's definitely worth it. Knowing EA the price might not drop for a long while.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This game is shockingly bad. They're basically charging you $5 for an animated version of what would normally be given away for free as some kind of preorder bonus comic book for putting a couple bucks down at Gamestop to preorder Mass Effect 2. The combat is ridiculously easy, all the firing is done automatically, all you have to do is tilt the iPhone to move your dude to get line of sight, tap to auto-target, and take a nap to get ready for the next terribly long-winded dialog portion where you're given several choices which all have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the next part of the game.

I'm seriously stunned that they attached the Mass Effect name to this game.

3. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    #43 Seishu, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    A few more things before I go to bed. I am so glad it calibrates when you press start new or continue. That way I can play laying down, watching TV, or standing up. Also I believe the system of events are basically conversations which have different endings depending on your choices. Then depending on your choices there may or may not be a combat phase. That is where you use strategy, skill, and a bit of luck to shoot down your opponents. I've found that there are always different approaches in each combat, but usually stealthy tactics work the best. As you weave around the level you can find pick-ups like shield health and healing packs. Apparently as you progress you can also find new weapons and such.

EDIT: Just though I'd like to say I have never played Mass Effect nor have I heard much about it. Therefore followers of the game might not like it. For what it is though (a quality, top down, iphone shooter) the game is pretty fun.
    EDIT2: Combat is not so easy as your progress. There are more enemies, some patrol, others stand back. You have to think things through otherwise you will be shot down in no time.

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    So I guess the Mass Effect team is not a TA sponsor. :p

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

6. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    The game might be ok...maybe, but the guy in the youtube video did a horrible job talking about and showing the game.

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Well Starjimstar, while that made me chuckle, that's not entirely fair. I just played through this a bit, and I have to agree with Eli. The game blows big time. Trust that I will not write a review on this game because it's horribly bad. It starts out promising, but the more you get into it, the more the whole game feels contrived. There isn't an alternate storyline regardless of what I choose.

8. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    The tongue face meant to imply I was joking. Perhaps it was a little too soon. I apologize to anyone who may have taken that personally.

EDIT: So do we at least get an Albie-Meter rating?

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

What kills the alternate choices for me is the responses are so stupid, it's like the original Fable where you could either choose to be the world's greatest hero or a snarky smart alec. There was a ton of potential to be had in a dynamic choose your own adventure book kind of game, but instead you just get the exact same plot progression, and maybe an extra few dudes to shoot.

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Ah Starjimstar, I know you were joking...so much for sarcasm. Let me flip a coin...heads a 2 and tails a 1...hmm.

11. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    #51 Seishu, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    I was thinking the exact same thing. This then lead me to remember at how hyped up Fable was and then it came out worse than people thought. I believe the same thing happened here only the developers weren't thinking straight and released videos of gameplay.

12. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I wonder if the included a potentially controversial sex scene in this title.

13. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I haven't seen it, but it may have bumped my rating up by .5 if they did.

14. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    A 1 on the Albie meter?? This is shaping up to be the worst $5 hyped game of all time. By the way Im glad Albie is starting to get the guts to dis a game when its bad.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Why wouldn't he say a game is bad if he doesn't like it? :confused:

16. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    He just doesnt like to or something. How many 1s or 2s you've seen so far?

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Probably for the same reason we rarely write about things on the front page that are bad unless they're really high profile. Why write a review for a bad game when you can play one you enjoy instead?

18. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    The more I play this the more dissappointed I get. I'd delete it but something inside me tells me to stick it out and play through it first.

19. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I don't know if I want this taking up 127 mb on my device longer than it has to.

20. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Well, it informs readers of what not to buy =] After all, that is part of the job of being a reviewer!