iPad Mass Effect Galaxy By EA [&0.99 Sale]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Jun 23, 2009.

1. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I dunno, its obvious he is a good reviewer, but if you are gonna review the positive, you gotta review the negative too. Let everyone know the good games and the bad.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'd rather be able to recommend something than waste my time explaining why someone should avoid something. Too much on the App Store worth checking out to spend time on the crap.

3. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    To each his own, I guess ;)

4. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Thanks to those who TOFTT on this. Saved me $5.

5. Sync

Sync Member

Apr 30, 2009
    I thought this would be good. I guess Archon is the way to go.

6. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    You boys play nice.

7. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    Imagine if IGN or gamespot wrote only reviews of games that got at least an 8 or 9/10. We would all still be curious about the other games, why they didnt get a review, why are they bad? Should I spend money on them?

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

TouchArcade isn't IGN or GameSpot, they're a completely different format. We're big in to app discovery, and it doesn't make much sense to waste front page space on things people shouldn't check out when there is an overwhelming amount of things that they should check out on a daily basis.

9. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Yeah, when I saw the first impressions I thought it was going to be positive. Negative. This game must be really bad just like a bunch of people thought it would be. No Craig tweeting nice review links on this one...

10. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    All I'm saying is if you're gonna review the positive, warn of the negative too. SHouldn't be afraid to dis games if they're bad and warn others not to spend their money on it.

11. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Get Archon. It's actually very good. A few polish issues here and there, but overall, I've had a blast playing it.

12. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    to clarify here. We do write reviews for bad games that people actually might buy. Like this one.

The "no point in reviewing bad games" really means "no point in reviewing bad games that you've never heard of". For every good game we review, there are about 30+ bad games. You really don't want us to write 30+ bad reviews for every good one.

edit: fixed :)

arn

13. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    We do write reviews for bad games* ;)

14. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Looks too similar to Dark Raider. While that game has great potential, this game doesn't excite me one bit. I think I will pass. And at $4.99, I would rather stick with Dark Raider, which is one buck.

15. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    yeah I know toucharcade lets everyone know bad or good, I was talking about Albie's reviews. I like his reviews but he only reviews positive games and ignores bad ones even though he buys them. Even short reviews would be nice, no reason to spend a lot of time or words on a game that sucks, but just a paragraph and a grade, just like he does for the positive ones would be good for everyone. I'm not buying this game mostly because he said it was bad, so I thank him for giving the first 1/5. I hope that doesnt't bother him, or he feels on his consiense in any way for costing a dev money. Reviews are reviews, if a game is bad, then people wanna know so they avoid.

16. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Good point. If a game is bad, a developer probably does not deserve the money for it. That, and I don't think EA is low on income. ;)

17. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

your post was the last to me - finally tempted and downloading BS right now, I hope that it's as good as everybody saying ^)

18. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    it is

19. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #79 Big Albie, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Review: Mass Effect…it’s all negative

For all the great games that EA has come out with in its illustrious history, I guess the day had to come when they would release a hyped game that was a real stinker. That’s what you have with Mass Effect Galaxy. Look on the bright side, if the year were 1985, this would be a good game. But, considering where we are, you would be wise to steer clear of this one.

In the pre-release trailers, the video displayed many animated cut scenes illustrating dialogue between characters. Unfortunately, that’s as creative as this game gets. The gameplay is simply terrible and treats game players as morons.

A blue shield bar and red health bar appear over Jacob and enemies. The controls are accelerometer based, and you tilt to move Jacob around the various passages. Once an enemy is located, you tap on an enemy to lock on. Once that occurs, auto-fire kicks. Other than avoiding enemy fire which is well, easy, that’s it. In addition, there are a set of buttons that appear down the right side of different weapons:

Biotic attack—freeze your enemy
    Heavy weapon—launch a grenade
    Tech attack—destroy enemy shields
    Pause

Nice idea, but the gameplay is so contrived it’s kind of disheartening that EA released this. The animated scenes while they look promising become more of an annoyance and really do little to add to the overall game. You’ve given a set choices in some cases where you can alter the storyline but unfortunately, the game doesn’t. I found myself replaying various scenarios and intentionally making different choices to affect the combat situation to no avail. The cut scenes also are way too long after what seems like pages of dialogue and cut animation. Throw in the load times in between “successfully” completed combat missions, and you have yourself a 3 hour game tops.

Note that I didn’t go into the storyline for the game because it really makes no difference in the scheme of things. You could care less what happens to Jacob and his crew. The game title says it all, and it’s all negative.

Albie Meter: 1 Star (if you have $5 to burn, spend it on a Subway sandwich; you’ll be more satisfied)

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah, this freezes my finger before the "Buy" button... :cool: