iPad Mass Effect Galaxy By EA [&0.99 Sale]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Jun 23, 2009.

1. OahuSurf

OahuSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Sounds kind of ehhhh....I'll wait for 99cents.

2. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    This game looks terrible. EA has done nothing but discourage my beliefs that the iphone will be a true handheld gaming competitior. Why not try to actually utilize the idevices graphic capabilities instead of throwing out cheap imitations of [class A] console games. Bummer.....

3. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    I'm so glad I didn't press buy. I'm so suprised the Mass Effect name was put on this.

4. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I agree with both points of view. On the one hand there are just way too many apps released on a daily basis to cover bad games like IGN would cover a bad console release. The other hand says a game with a name brand attached to it like Mass Effect NEEDS to be reviewed because just the name results in an impulse buy. They could have charged 15 dollars and a lot of people would have immediately downloaded it. A game like this should definitely be reviewed..as long as it isn't me who has to do said review :)

5. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Hmm he said it better then I did above :)

6. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    The name alone is going to make EA some money. TA members are a small fraction of worlwide iDevice users. They will make plenty before word of mouth gets out.

7. phobic99

phobic99 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    I agree. Makes me sad I have to pass on this. I seriously doubt Bioware actually did anything at all to this game. Thanks EA for buying them out (still bitter about that one :()

8. AttackOfThePwned

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Come to think of it what has EA put out for the iDevice that has been memorable and fun? NFS and Tiger Woods are the only two I can think of. Sims 3 maybe but that title seems to disappoint many. Am I missing any? EAs track record here isn't great.

9. phobic99

phobic99 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Eh, Lemonade Tycoon is fairly fun... sort of. Can't beat the price at least. Tiger Woods is still probably the only EA iPhone game I play regularly. Shame Mass Effect Galaxy sucks. :(

10. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    You are absolutely correct. The Sims was a fairly decent toned down version, though it left out the funnest part of the game, which is building. EA is a failed iphone developer. I wasnt even a Tiger Woods fan, it is much better as a console game. They are murdering their name in the idevice market by releasing these terrible versions of top notch games. On top of that there are almost no updates for any of their games. I thought EA was better than this.

11. gunghir

gunghir Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    wow guys! thi sgame fails so hard it hurts my hard

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I have to disagree with you here. I understand why people don't like MEG, but EA has put out quality games. I really like the following: NFS, Tiger Woods, Sims 3, Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, Scrabble, and Clue. I don't love but don't hate Star Trek and Spore Origins. I haven't played this enough yet, but it seems that people are having higher expectations than even the dev did. Think about it, in the lead-up to this, the dev was doing nothing but tamping down expectations, saying it was not like the console versions, that because of the iDevices limitations (although this is a cop-out) this would be a smaller bridge between the 2 console games. They didn't even price it at a premium. If you didn't know about the pre-release info, then I can understand the massive dissapointment I hear a bit more, but if you did some research prior to launch, I think you were choosing not to believe what you heard.

13. AttackOfThePwned

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Kind of makes me worry about Madden and what it will be like...seeing the future...EA releases Madden with just the 2009 playoff teams. While you can't play a whole season, you can relive the 2009 playoffs over and over and over again. Yikes I scare myself! :p

14. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Aww come on, EA releases one bad game and you start to think all EA games will be bad? Lay off EA, man.

15. AttackOfThePwned

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    One bad game? I never said their games are bad or not quality. I asked about them being fun or memorable. Just seems to me they release games sighting the limitations of the platform instead of creatively thinking about ways to give iDevice users FULL compliments to the games bigger brothers (the PC versions).

In no way am I saying they need to come out with a 30+ hour epic. Great example is Spore. They give us the first part of the PC version. Now there are ways to give users the complete feel of the PC version that makes it feel complete. For instance if they have to push just 18 or so odd levels, give us 5 in the spore stage, 5 on land and so on. It just feels like EA gives us bits and pieces of games, that is all I am saying.

For the record I do think NFS and Tiger Woods both feel like complete games for the iDevice and are done well. But these games that they usually put out skimp on the full game experience and I know this is a marketing ploy by EA to get users to purchase the full PC/Mac versions that don't crash constantly (why can't they figure out how to make a game not crash every 5 minutes).

Sims skimps on create a sim, no build feature, no kids and just a short list of occupations to choose from. I know DLC is coming but I would be very surprised if it adds any additional gameplay to that game. That is all that I am saying, thus my little rib about Madden. I'd like to see them give us a full mobile experience that compliments the original and doesn't skimp due to limitations (or casual experience) that their mobile division can't seem to figure out.

16. YungAssassin_BHB

YungAssassin_BHB Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    just played it a little bit
    it's ok
    I hope madden doesn't look like this
    (Atari Football is better than this ish)

17. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

To give them credit, Tiger Woods is perhaps THE MOST console-ish quality game on the platform. If FIFA, Madden, and Red Alert follow the same pattern of depth and detail, we will be in for sine real treats!

18. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Good point sticktron! I love NFS and Tiger Woods, and they are in my top 5 list. So I expect a lot from Madden, FIFA, and Red Alert. However, I don't think I will be let down based on the other games they have released.

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    As a side note, it's so funny to see casual gamers sticking up for EA when up until recently Ea was derided by the hardcore at every turn.

And I say "until recently" because lately Activision has been a lot worse.

20. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Well I for one am glad that I wasn't intrigued in any way from the get go. I will be waiting for something more promising like Warpack Grunts and Touch K.O. :cool: