Mass petition to Open-Feint service (cheaters attack)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by YOMANx, Jan 16, 2010.

1. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #41 EssentialParadox, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    I looked this app up, and I disagree that it's simple. To fake their UDID a pirate needs to use a terminal app and then follow a procedure of copying a specific file to the app folder for the pirated app. They need to go through that for every app they want to spoof. Even once they've done that they still need to convince a non-jailbroke friend to give them their UDID.

But if we assume the UDID spoofing procedure becomes easier, a developer can also check for modified lines of code, of which the info.plist file supposedly has a specific line added for the cracking procedure.

It's very difficult to stop pirates who don't connect their device to the internet, but any server that accepts connections from Apps for high scores or for multiplayer functionality can detect any pirate users and prevent them from using the service. That's where I think Openfeint comes in… They're the biggest online service on the iPhone, so if they were to make this check and prevent pirate copies using the service, it could be an encouragement for pirate users to purchase legitimate versions so they could access those OF features. It's essentially the same process that Xbox Live uses to detect modded Xbox users and ban them from multiplayer, which seems to be hugely successful as piracy is very small on the Xbox.

2. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #42 araczynski, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
    i don't have a jailbroken itouch, AND i don't use any online scoring service.

BUT, i would love to be able to cheat in any game i want after i paid for it, so maybe i just might jailbreak it sooner than later.

i still don't see what people see in these openfeint scores and the like.

LOL, head in the sand...

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Thanks. I'll give those ideas a shot.

4. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    #44 eJayStudios, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
    Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't either.

5. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Whoa there...terminal? friend? replace?.....no

You looked up the wrong app mister :p

Here, instead of me explaining it, have a look for yourself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the easiest thing since sliced bread. Select the app, enter a UDID or randomly generate one. No user changing etc.. Takes about 5 seconds...

I don't have any use for this app though, UDID's are only good for provisioning files/beta testing. But if OF bans jailbroken users because of it :rolleyes:

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Does this mean you can install a provisioning file and app file which isn't signed with your UDID? :eek:

7. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    You mean this app?

This is the exact App I was referring to above. The instructions I pasted were directly from the site and its various comments asking for help. It has the terminal instructions right there on the page.

8. YOMANx

YOMANx Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    guys i wrote about IP ban..

9. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Those terminal instructions are for manually installing the .deb file (the app). You can do that for any jailbroken app. OR you can jst install it through cydia and skip all those steps. That's an alternative.

The actual use of the app is as easy as I said above.

10. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    OK, I'll just take that as an answer that you didn't read the associating comments below the app. :)

YOMANx- you can't use an IP ban, as said earlier by another poster. My IP address changes every day, and I've shared it among multiple other users on my ISP in the past.

11. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I installed it and tried it out. I know how to use it. I just don't have any need for it.

The comments below are asking about the installation and cracked app issues which have nothing to do with how simple changing the UDID is. Their issues are about changing a certain file that is checked by Beejive. Their UDID changed.

Once they figure out how to install it. Or just take the easy way and use cydia. It's simple.

12. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    I think that if anyone should be banned then you should look at the hackers that are modifying the rate of fire and other.. in N.O.V.A. They are the ones that are ruining the experience for other gamers. I don't care if I am not at the top of the leaderboards, it just makes it more fun knowing that I raped that "high score player(cheater) when I actually played them in a match. However, when you play against a group of other players firing 60+ rounds a second with a standard machinegun in NOVA then you should be pissed since you can't even play because they cheat. Someone should really look at that right now. Start with this guy-- his gameloft name is in the video. Gameloft should delete his user account. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCIiWzgv_Y&feature=related

13. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I'd like to know the answer to this one as well. Anyone?