Mass "What should I get?" Thread 2011

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

1. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Rimelands boring? It's the best game in the store.

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I can safely say that Monster Dash, Rimelands, and Slice It! are great pick ups.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Stardunk is really fun!

4. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

I've got a few of those...

Monster Dash - pure high-scoring running+shooting game. Great for when you don't have much time to play. Fairly addictive, well worth 99c/59p but avoid it if you like deeper games or something where you can save your progress and upgrades.

Rimelands - Pretty much the polar opposite of Monster Dash. An RPG with turn-based combat that doesn't attempt to hide the dice rolls but actually displays them on screen and uses them as a key gameplay mechanic. If that sounds fun, buy it. If not, you may want to stay away as the endless dice rolls (even when speeded up) can become repetitive.

Slice It - Look beyond the pseudo-doodle graphics and you have a nice little geometry based puzzler that would be far more fun with a stylus in my opinion. Sometimes my finger seems just a bit too chubby for those pixel-precise slices that are required from about half way through the first batch of puzzles.

I can recommend all of the 3 above but I've tried to balance this with some potentially negative views as I don't want to just say, "Buy those, they're great," although that wouldn't be too misleading either.

5. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Believe me on this, Monster Dash, Stardunk, and Slice It are the best on there, steer clear of the rest unless they go on sale.

6. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Stardunk!

7. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    cro mag rally

or

cocoto kart online

8. drfaygo

drfaygo Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I actually didn't like slice it that much, but it offers so much playability that it's definitely worth the $.99 and i can see it coming in handy if I ever find myself out in the public and I need to kill time. The style of the game is impeccable btw.

Also, I just bought stardunk yesterday because it went on sale and boy-oh-boy it is way addicting. Beautiful, unique and very fun, I would definitely recommend it to anyone. It even has online match-making through their plus+ service (you have to register if you haven't already though).

You can of course expect quality from monster dash because it's from the fine people at halfbrick. It puts one of the freshest twists on the run right forever genre since robot unicorn attack (another recommend if you're into that genre), and you can expect updates for it in the future because halfbrick is great at delivering what fans want.

Anyhoo, tl:dr version : I own all three and would recommend all three.

9. The Earl

The Earl New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Here a few games I've been looking into getting, does anyone have any suggestions or opinions...

Crimson Gem Saga
    Rimelands
    Land Air Sea Warfare
    Battle for Wesnoth
    100 Rogues
    Zenonia 2

I don't have any games like these, so whichever one (or more) I get will be an introduction into that particular genre.

So let me know if anything on the list stands out, or tell me if of any games not on the list that would be a far better step into the genre.

10. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Battle of Wesnoth, no exceptions.

11. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    It seems like you have an interest in RPG or strategy games even though your message says you are new to them. The games on that list are all pretty good. Also, check out Across Age.

12. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    OBJECTION!

I own three of those (Battle for Wesnoth, Zenonia 2, and Land Air Sea Warfare), so I'll give you my opinions of those.

AVOID BATTLE FOR WESNOTH AT ALL COSTS! It has a horribly laggy and needlessly complex interface, complemented by dull gameplay which is even worse if you're new to the genre.

Zenonia 2 is a fun action RPG. I never got around to beating it, though. I found it a bit hard to get into.

Land Air Sea Warfare I highly recommend. It's a great RTS with tons of replayability, but no multiplayer or campaign. It may be a bit confusing at first if you've never played an RTS, but pretty easy to get used to. In no time you'll be playing on Normal difficulty competitively.

13. The Earl

The Earl New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    #10053 The Earl, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

I actually like all types of games, but I've had my first iPhone for only 2 months and started with the lower priced games and am gradually picking up the more expensive ones. RPG and Strat games are generally more expensive and the ones I mentioned above are all $5 each.

I'm pretty much just getting some opinions on what to buy next.

edit: After reading csklimowski reply I want to clarify, I don't have any of these genres on my i-device. I have some experience with rts and rpg's, but older games like Starcraft and Final Fantasy 7/tactics.

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    #10054 Balu`, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    Just to give you some more opinions...

Wesnoth: It's the best TBS in the store without a doubt, it isn't laggy or anything, has lots of gameplay (probably 200+ hours) withsome campaign having lots of RPG elements. You'd be a fool to miss on this if you like the genre.

Rimelands: Again, I must say this is the best RPG in the store, but it has a bit too little gameplay. Replaying it is fun though as the characters are very different.

CGS: Not as good as Rimelands, but much longer. If you like RPGs, this is a good choice.

100 Rogues: Fun rogue-like, not much to say. Give it a try.

I hope I could help. :)

15. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Battle for Wesnoth: I have deleted it...it's boring and frustrating.
    100 rogues: deleted for the same reason.
    Land air sea warfare: chaotic...deleted.
    Rimelands: don't like the gameplay...deleted.
    I don't have the other 2 games!

I suggest to you to avoid them all and buy some .99c games (slice it!, boxbattle pro, richochet infinity and others), they are less expensive and give more fun.

16. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Let's clarify something on Battle for Wesnoth. If you like turn based strategy, the game is a goldmine. You are easily looking at 200-300+ hours of packed gameplay. Obviously it's going to be boring or annoying if you don't like that genre, so keep that in mind.

For RPG's, Crimson Gem Saga is one of the best JRPG's on the platform.

LASW is probably the best RTS on the platform, but it is missing a formal campaign and multiplayer.

17. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Hmm, Wesnoth is getting mixed reviews so I'll place my input. Contrary to others, Wesnoth is not laggy at all (2nd gen iTouch), and load up times are decent. It is one of the biggest, longest game in the App Store, and it may indeed get boring as you try to get through that huge amount of gameplay. However, I found that if you alternate between Wesnoth and other games, Wesnoth will be highly enjoyable. To me, it is clearly the best TBS and is a must even if you are only slightly considering the genre.

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I really hope you are kidding.

19. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Some people just have different opinions :p

20. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Saying 'I hate x and love y' is okay, but saying 'y gives more fun than x' if 'x' is a game with over 200 hours of gameplay is just... wrong.