Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. polarsolstice

polarsolstice Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    The iPad now has lots and lots of premium and deep non-casual, but tell me if I'm wrong why there hasn't been a good and deep side-scroller for god's sake? give me some recommendations

2. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    If you don't have it Asphalt 8 is pretty long,has multiplayer,and is pretty fun overall

3. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a racing-type game, somewhat along the lines of Bike Baron. I'd also consider a top-down racer. I really enjoyed Bike Baron but found that the later levels weren't all that fun. It just seemed to become less like a racing game, and more like a platformer requiring crazy precision. That said, I got more than my money's worth out of it. There was another similar iOS game that I had and deleted at some point but I can't remember the name. I'm also considering re-downloading Reckless Racing 2 (I remember having 1 or 2 more games in this style, one with MP and one without IIRC).

4. Asphalt 8 is awesome. The best bang for a buck.

5. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Top-down racers: Death Rally, Mini Motor Racing, VS Racing 2, DrawRace 2, Slingshot Racing, Smash Cops and Smash Bandits, although these 2 aren't exactly top down racers. Then you also have Reckless Getaway, made by the guys behind Reckless Racing. It isn't top down, but IMO waaaay better than the Reckless Racing games.

Similar to Bike Baron: Joe Danger, and Jet Car Stunts as a 3D stunts racing game. Jet Car Stunts is a MUST if you like Bike Baron.

6. GameLvnGurl

GameLvnGurl Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Should I get the icade mobile for ~ $10 ($4 + shipping)? Still rocking the 3g Ipod touch.

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Grabbed Device 6 and will be waiting for more impressions on Indigo Lake before I buy. Good week.

8. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks Varo! I actually have most of these but re-downloaded a couple that I never gave a fair shake.

9. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Recommendations for a strategy game? I downloaded Trenches on a whim this weekend. I got it for free awhile back and it got overshadowed and eventually deleted it for one reason or another. I enjoyed it this weekend but the campaign was really short (haven't tried skirmishes or MP yet). I have Stenches and may grab Trenches II. I also really enjoyed Army of Darkness. Looking for mor in the same vein. Thanks.

10. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Any Game similar to Orc Vengence or Wild Blood that is IAP free?

11. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Samurai vs Zombies Defense 1, 2
    Pocket Army
    Tiny Defense
    Cartoon War Defense series

12. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Picking up Junk Jack X and Mikey Hooks (I'm long overdue on both :p) in a bit. Anything else worth getting? Broad question, I know, but its entirely your opinion. What game would you reccomend? :)

13. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Can anyone recommend some good mp over wifi games? Not asynch or puzzle/word based. I'm just after some old school, action based mp goodness.

14. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a game like rebuild?

15. ociris

ociris Member

Oct 27, 2013
    What roleplaying game do you guys recommend? I'm kind of eyeing Warhammer Quest right now but if you guys can recommend anything else that might be better, that would be cool.

16. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    You should definitely get Warhammer Quest. You should also get King of Dragon Pass (it is pretty complex though).

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Kingturn series, Cavern, WazHack, Final Fantasy Dimensions, WarlordRevival, Boy(RPG) - Hurry to School are some I've enjoyed. I dislike Warhammer Quest and found it too repetitive (same limited monsters, same dungeon environment) and easy.

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I know we share a lot of common interest in games, but here's a minor disagreement. :)

When I first got WQ, I thought the same exact thing. It wasn't until I put the game on Hardcore (which is also permadeath) that my opinion heavily shifted.

With the Hardcore setting turned on, it actually demands more attention on how you approach the enemies. Mix in the different Characters you can get and the strategies are numerous. If you already bought the game, I'd suggest you try it again on Hardcore.

Also keep in mind it's a game of obtaining epic/stat boosting loot and building the best strategy against a game that's full of behind-the-scene rolls. With the updates and rebalances, it's worth another look for people who already tried it and thought it was a walk in the park.

To anyone else that hasn't picked up Warhammer Quest, I highly recommend it, but not if you're looking for an action RPG dungeon crawler. This should be considered a role playing game more in line of D&D, featuring a random dice rolling element. It's up to you to maximize your strategy to ensure you can overcome even the greatest odds that may be rolled against you. Also you must play the game on Hardcore at least once. :D

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    That dollar is probably already spent but I HIGHLY recommend Doom and Destiny (D&D). It's $.99 but should definitely be more. I seriously think it's one of the best values on the App Store.

If you;re unfamiliar with the game, its a turn-based RPG oozing with quality and polish. It's funny and engaging. Just get it.

20. ociris

ociris Member

Oct 27, 2013
    #4760 ociris, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Monster Adventure or Costume Quest?