Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    My friends have been enjoying these 2 popular games which I never got. Which one? I'm fine with only one.

The Impossible Game or Robot Unicorn Attack?

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Some other games with detailed upgrade systems include:

Fatal League - combat drive turn based strategy, basically you continually dual other teams upgrading your characters after each battle as possible.

Kings of Phantom Castle - real time strategy with a nice unit micromanagement aspect between puzzle like battles.

Mission Europa - for a first person shooter the crafting and skill upgrades are mind boggling.

Bug Heroes - dual stick shooter with extensive unit/equiptment upgrade.

Soccer Superstars - soccer game with a lot of character customization/training/upgrade options. Not IAP/g-point heavy in my opinion.

Destructopus - side scroller with a good variety of monster upgrades.

Cars and Guns 3D - car game with ability to purchase additional car components/upgrades.

3. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Robot unicorn attack. Get it now.

4. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    zombieville usa 2. It has a pretty good upgrade system along with alot of things to buy and upgrade. BUT theres not alot of story and plot :p at least theres online co-op

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol, definitely go with RUA. No competition really.

6. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Dark Summoner:

It's one of those mission MMO's, where most is accomplished by simply making a choice and pressing "okay." It reminds me, a bit, of kingdom conquest meets pokemon. You're part of a faction, for which you fight in battles against others. The game revolves around monsters. They both make up the army with which you fight and are your rewards. They are graded. They can be upgraded and evolved.

Pros: The interface is simple and inviting. There's a decent amount of stuff to keep you interested in the short term. You're collecting monsters for quite a while. You acquire allies for both resource bonuses and to aid you when you go on "raids" against stronger npc enemies. You're upgrading them by sacrificing others. At the end of the day, you see progress and you can measure yourself against others pretty easily. Oh...and it's completely free. There are no IAP's as of yet -- only rewards (and good rewards at that) for tweeting/facebooking.

Cons: There's a good bit of downtime where you're waiting for resources to refill. It's a perfect little window where I've just come to expect IAP's. But having none, you're left to be productive (or not) doing other things for a few hours at a time. The game doesn't currently have enough content to keep it interesting past a week or two, unless you're one of those people who can just level for leveling's sake. ATeam Inc. has stated that it plans to do a shit-ton of updates. I hope they eventually add more rewards for faction dominance to keep "PvP" useful and add a couple more options for customization.

Overall, I give it a 4/5.

7. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks everyone who helped on my question.
    I'm going to give Bug Heroes a shot. Defender Chronicles wasn't really fun for me either, and it's not really a structured upgrade system since random items are sold in the shop and most of them are for the hero who pretty much does nothing in the battle.

8. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Lookin for some pick-up-and-play games that don't use a lot of battery, and have tons of content.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Pathpix
    any Rocketcat Games
    Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer has lasted a long time on my device.

10. ProtoEclipse

ProtoEclipse Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I second that Pathpix recommendation, that is some good stuff

11. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Some people won't agree with me because they aren't used to the controls but Midway Arcade has a ton of pick up and play retro games from the 80's for only $.99. Great value but it may only be truly appreciated by those of us who lived through that era playing the actual cabinets.

12. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Audio Invaders. Yes or No?

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yes if you want a minimalistic, but amazing audio experience where you guide the ship by listening to the sounds and you can't see invaders until you shoot them and to find them, you gotta listen to sounds. Awesome with the headphones.

14. Chopper12

Chopper12 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    #1094 Chopper12, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Ice Rage, worth it? Or not? Oh and I have money on my account so I'm taking any recommendations for games. ANY!

15. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    If you have an iPad and someone to play same device multiplayer with then yes its worth it.

Also, thanks to LOVavi for the response.

16. Chopper12

Jan 25, 2012
    No I have an iPod Touch 4g. But thanks. I'll think about. Still looking for ANY recommendation for games.

17. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I'd personally recommend Ice Rage anyways, but just remember there isn't a ton of content there. Regardless, it's a fun game and one you'll often find yourself playing again and again.

Another recommendation would be Epoch and MUSE, two awesome shooters for a buck each (on sale). Though if you can only get one get Epoch.

18. Chopper12

Jan 25, 2012
    Would you or anyone also recommend GTA 3?

19. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    personally, i hated playing it on my ipod 4.... on my ipad 2, that's a whole different story

20. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Ill second that