Match 3 Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by romulus, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The funny thing is I haven't experienced one yet...knock on wood. But, they did pull it because of the crashing problem which I think was mainly due to some files on their end that were misallocated.

2. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I think Gemmed was pulled not due to a crash but because gems were not showing up. I, and many others, have experienced times when no more gems drop so you are stuck with empty columns. You need to restart the whole game, which still does not resolve the issue as the problem eventually shows up on some level. It is currently making the game unplayable for me.

But I have definitely enjoyed the game since it first came out and am looking forward to an update.

Perhaps there was a crash, too.

3. RawrReptar

RawrReptar Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    i was wondering why the hell it was doing that i thought it was some evil plan to piss me off for an hour trying ot get past level 12 and not letting my stupid monster get to the exit!!!

So this was my second favorite match 3 game its fun but the simplicity and polished mighty charms still is it for me

4. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    There was a crash problem, but yeah, the missing gems was the other issue. That's weird because I'm on level 23 and I haven't seen any of those problems. I wonder what's causing the inconsistency.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @decakrd
    I hear you man! I was hoping we'd see even more monster types, like something besides just the devil to mess with you (like monsters that will do non-random bad things...like the plaid monster will always drain all of the other monsters accumulated energy if his bar is filled).

Montezuma, if like the PC is pretty rigidly timed and can get very nasty in later levels but, even if you fail you're free to replay the level endlessly (I, for one, hate this aspect as it renders the highscores pretty meaningless). Maybe this is different in the iphone version but I doubt it since, if anything, I think casual PC games are made even more casual in their iphone ports.

I like Smiles but opted to save a dollar and do the lesser Drop only version as the Zen mode of Smiles sounded too puzzley to me (I hate pre-scripted puzzles without scores). I think the Zen mode sounded mildly interesting, but knowing myself, I really couldn't see playing it more than just a few times where the draw of beating my last highscore in one of the many Drop game modes would be much stronger.

6. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    match 3 games...

I'm actually in the process of making a list of match-3 games for the iPhone. Here's the ones I have so far:

Match 3 games I have or have some experience with:

* ChocChocPop - florence’s favorite (adds powerups)
    * Gem Spinner (add “shape constraints”, background “clearing”, rotation)
    * Mix-A-Dot (adds color mixing)
    * Gemmed (adds cool “critter” mechanism and different piece types)
    * Puzzle Quest (adds RPG elements)
    * Smiles (adds the "current piece" mechanic)
    * Jewel Quest II (added background “clearing”)
    * Bejewled II (played original Bejeweled, haven’t played the iPhone version)
    * Aurora Feint (like Tetris Attack)
    * Crazy Sushi (uses the Yoshi’s Cookie “slide a row” game mechanic)
    * Trism (trianges!)
    * ScribBall / CrayonBall (adds gravity, not sure if these should count)
    * Pinch ‘n Pop (also stretching the definition, but it is sort of a match-3)
    * Quadrix (”slide a row” not so much match-3 as making various shapes.)

…and the ones I haven’t (yet) played:

* Chain3 (no movement constraints — apparently this has been out since app store launch)
    * Samurai Puzzle Battle (Puzzle Quest knockoff?)
    * Diamond Twister
    * Popcorn!
    * Campaign Trail
    * Chocolate Shop Frenzy
    * Sliders (also uses “slide a row” game mechanic)
    * Slida (also uses “slide a row” game mechanic)
    * Gemlogic
    * Gems
    * Big Booty
    * Bling: Touch Fever
    * Glyph (looks to be a lot like Jewel Quest)
    * Hex
    * Bomboozle
    * The Treasures of Montezuma
    * Mighty Charms

I actually just bought smiles last night, and have thus far found it to be really solid gameplay, and highly addicting. I hadn't heard of Bamboozle, Montezuma, or Mighty Charms until this thread.

I too really recommend Gemmed, and another not found on this thread yet, Gem Spinner. Gem Spinner may not have the best graphics of the list, but it gets my vote for innovation.

I know there are lots more out there, anyone care to help me add to my list?

7. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Great list! How much time did you spend on this? You should add Orbitsu and Anaglyphs.

8. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
  9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Anaglyphs is a memory game, not a match 3 game.

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I was thinking of Glyph which I just noticed on the list. Thanks for pointing that out.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  12. RawrReptar

Mar 12, 2009
    Try mighty charms i love it

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I've noticed a lot of people like Mighty Charms, but I guess I just don't get what's so special about it. I love match 3 games, but i thought it was pretty boring, except for the ability to match diagonally. Personally, though, I would have preferred the ability to move pieces diagonally like in Snowed In 7. Speaking of which, has Snowed In 7 been mentioned or is it on any of the lists? It's fun and it's free, plus there's a new version every year (or at least that's how it worked on the Pocket PC).

14. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Sorry to hear that you haven't gotten into Mighty Charms yet.

We've been getting alot of positive feedback for it so far. I hope you give the game a few more tries.

The key to the game is to really take advantage of that new diagonal freedom in Mighty Charms. Once you get the hang of it, you won't believe the amount of strategy, planning and combos you can pull off with it. It's pretty satisfying once you really get into it.

Mighty Charms is pretty easy to pick up due to it's simplicity, but at the same time it is also offers so much more in terms of challenge because of the extra diagonal matching freedom. If you want more excitement and challenge, give the Normal or Expert mode a try.. Expert mode is insane.

Cheers,
    Xyzl
    -----
    Developer of Mighty Charms

15. RawrReptar

Mar 12, 2009
    It is just polished relaxing and a great time waster to play an hour here and there which then may turn into two or three hours. Plus global scoreboards

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Playing Snowed In 7 I see an advert for Quartz 2, another cute match three like game.

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Believe me, I've been trying really hard to get into it. Maybe something will just click one day. I've actually tried both the Normal and Expert modes. I could tolerate Normal mode, but Expert was ridiculous for me. The sad thing was I didn't even have to worry about the timer, because I ran out of moves on the first level :( It does have some nice production qualities, though, so I'm glad that other people are finding a more rewarding experience than I have.

Quartz 2 is different in the fact that it has a diagonal board, but I found it difficult even in the Pocket PC version many times to select the appropriate row / column for my next block. I can't imagine how the interface would play out on a device that seems intermittently plagued by the "fat finger" syndrome :(

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  19. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've probably spent a couple of hours on the list so far. Eventually I'll write it all up on my gamedev blog (chesstris.com), where I do some informal reviews and articles, mostly about puzzle games and game mechanics.

Thanks for the additions and suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

(BTW, my first iPhone game was approved last weekend, and has been out for barely more than two days.)

20. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Mighty Charms.

Why?

• Simplistic Graphics / Overall Presentation
    • Global/Local Leaderboards, including Daily Global Scores as well
    • As others have mentioned, the diagonal gameplay element adds a whole new level depth.
    • Casual Mode, because it's great to play when I'm not in the mood to compete against the clock.