Match 3 Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by romulus, Mar 30, 2009.

1. RawrReptar

RawrReptar Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    same reasons why i love it and the dev is looking to only improve the game

2. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    I see gaia as more of a collapse type game than match-3. But I guess it depends on where you draw the line. I should probably make a whole separate list of games like collapse (my favorite is Claustrophobia), but in both collapse and claustrophobia you're looking for groups of three or more... I think I'm only counting games where one of the game mechanics is to line up three or more of the same piece type, not necessarily just find those that are already lined up. To be fair, I think I'm going to remove Quadrix from my list because in quadrix it's more about the shape you make with the pieces than that they're touching. (Quadrix is a great game tho.) And I'll also remove Crayon Ball/Scribball, because again, it's more of a collapse type thing.

So far I've added these to the previous list I posted:
    * Snowed in 7
    * Line shift
    * Quartz 2 Deluxe
    * DropOut (can't believe I didn't include this one before. I had the global high score until like two days ago.)
    * Chop Sushi
    * Orbitsu (again, not sure if this meets my definition)
    * Witch's Workshop
    * MM Park
    * Elasticity
    * Block Chaos
    * Big Bang
    * MiZoo
    * SuperNova

This brings my total to 43 match-3 games for the iPhone. Most of these new ones came from the list Carlos-Sz posted back in November. (Thanks Carlos!)

I can't decide whether to include games like Fuzzloop (zuma clones), fuzzle and their ilk, or games like Bubble Pop. I think I'm leaving them off the list for now.

Also, has anyone played SpongeBob's Atlantis Treasures? I tried searching for a video, but couldn't find one. I don't know how that plays, but it might qualify.

3. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Smiles is okay but feels a little generic. Try out Jewel Quest II or Witch's Workshop...those are 2 good match 3 games.

4. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    most of the time you create a thread asking for advice and end up taking abuse for not searching or not buying everything... sometimes, however, someone really helpful like grid comes along with an answer so comprehensive you wonder how people can complain about the state of the world... :D thanks for restoring my faith in humanity ;)!!

5. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Nicely said, a little over dramatic, but nicely said.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Weirdness.

The Gemmed! update 1.4.1 appears to have hit the air waves (I just updated) but it isn't showing up as an entry in the App Store yet.

7. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Discovered Frupon (Lite) today, will let you know what I think...

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #68 spiffyone, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    The devs behind Aurora Feint have updated Aurora Feint II: The Beginning after having pulled it for a while now.

But...still didn't bring back the original.

Now, I understand that they think II is a better game. It should be. It's a sequel.

But...y'know...some of us who played the original Aurora Feint: The Beginning...we played it as a one player game, and for the life of me I can't understand this incessant push toward multiplayer. MMORPG/Puzzle is a great idea, as was MMORPGs as a whole, but, y'know...some of us don't actually like games like WoW and prefer stuff like Elder Scrolls or even JRPGs.

Just sayin'....

I mean, the idea of saving progress via servers needn't be an issue. I've heard they're re-releasing the older game at some point, sans online, sans server uploads, and I'm all for that. I don't need chat, online multi, etc. in all of my games. That's why I took the damned thing off my iTouch and have been playing Puzzle Quest and Samurai Puzzle Battle for a while. Deep, puzzle/RPG (and in Samurai's case, puzzle/strategy) gameplay without all those bells and whistles.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm with you on this. Global scoreboards and the like are cute but I really just want a solid single player experience and really have no plans to chat with folk while playing my puzzle game.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Here's a shot of the mobile phone game by the same name:

[​IMG]

So I could only imagine the iphone version is the same game but maybe a little less fuzzy looking.

11. bamafan12

bamafan12 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Gemmed is awesome!! Its on sale for $.99!

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That's what I don't get with Aurora Feint.

When the first game came out, it didn't force you to sign up for an account, it still saved your progress without signing up, and it wasn't ad laden nor incessantly popping up little player chatting.

It was a good, solid game. It was what filled the desire for a game like Puzzle Quest for iTouch/Phone before Puzzle Quest was ever announced for this platform.

But then the insistence of the developer to make it an MMORPG (which was what they planned, I understand, but still...) ruined the game for those of us that just liked it as a solid single player game.

And what's funny to me is that the developer seems taken aback by this idea that not everyone wants a massive multiplayer experience, and seems to not understand that they probably would've sold a lot more of a single player focused Aurora Feint game.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I guess I'm a little more cynical than even that. I read an article once how they're looking to license their proprietary chat/asynchronous multiplayer tools. So now the game itself has become irrelevant (well at least beyond a sample to show to others what can be done with their development tools).

14. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nice find. Added to the list. (Up to 49 games now.) Thanks for the kind words Romulus. :)

As for the whole Aurora Feint issue... my problem with the game is not whether it's single player or multiplery... but rather that it's changing out from under us! When i downloaded the game (at least six months ago), it was a totally different game. That just seems weird to me.

15. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Unfortunately, I'm not even 100% sure that's true about Aurora Feint. I think the re-released version is just going to be a lite version of II, not the original version I. The reason the online stuff won't be in there is simply because they think that will be impetus enough for you to buy the full version of II. This is really sad in my opinion, because I don't like MMORPGs - I'd much rather just sit and play a game on my own in the few minutes a day I have to play games.

16. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    We have one in testing.

I may want some beta testers for it.

It's a Match 3 Game but OH SO SPECIAL!!!
    :)

17. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    If you need it, I'd love to help test. Just drop me a PM and I'll forward on my device ID.

18. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Azkend is my new favorite.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=310211579&mt=8

You might also look at:

chocchocpop, Ballz!, SmileyPuzzle, Gemmed, JewelQuestII, Bejeweled2, Trism, BigBooty

I just picked up MightyCharmed but it still needs some work.

19. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
  20. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    #80 dmbfan1192, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
    You missed one.

EDIT: And another.