Matmi to release Monster Pinball

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Matmi, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    Maybe I should join the pinball gang. The best pinball game out at the moment is Wild West.

Our lite version will just be one table from the six.

Will try and post a video of of Monster Pinball tomorrow.

I have just had my Iron Maiden - Flight 666 game (flash) go live on Iron Maiden's homepage.
    Maybe we will produce a 3D iPhone / iPod touch version?

Thanks for all your comments. We have many new games in production.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Btw, I started a pinball players club a few days ago, if anyone wants to join a real pinball gang on the site :) The link is in my signature.

3. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    Monster Pinball Video

Here is the video.

Please excuse the poor quality webcam.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Jeff

4. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Ha ha. :) That looks and sounds very funny and furious, fast and flawless. Fantastic.

5. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA

Hey matmi, how about an iron maiden pinball machine, I would totally get that for sure!

6. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    You never know!

It may just happen...

7. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Well, you certainly haven't lied. Was good to see the game in action on that video
    The speed and physics of the game seem to be top notch.
    Still keeping my eye out for the release!!! :)

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Dang it! I'm at work where I can't get on YouTube, and the imbedded one doesn't work in my browser! I'm gonna check this first thing when I get home, can't wait!

9. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    Monster Pinball price

We have set the price for Monster Pinball

Remember that it is a massive game with 6 tables all interconnected.
    It is very replayable and to achieve all the goals will take an eternity.
    I've been playing it for one month and have not even come close to fnishing it!

$3.99
    £2.39

That's less than 0.99c per table!

Let me know what you think.

10. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Matmi: I'll update the price point on my pinball megathread. 4$ sounds reasonable considering the # of tables, fast gameplay and what seems to be great presentation value.

Now we just need this thing released :)

11. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    Monster Pinball release

So do we. Hopefully Apple will release really soon.

I can't wait for everyone to experience the speed and the great gameplay of our game. It's so fast. I'm so addicted. (my thumbs hurt)

We will try and film a better quality video tomorrow.

Thanks for all you input.

12. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    whoa whoa whoa, so this means you've already submitted it and now we're just waiting on apple? Awesome! Maybe I'll move it up on my list so I can give it a review a few days after it comes out.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Price point seems very fair! Just don't get all antsy after a week and drop the price to 99 cents, just leave it to the Pinball Players Club to spread the word and we'll sell you a bunch of copies :D Do you have any kind of idea of when release might be, or even when you're planning to submit?

EDIT: Nvm, looks like I got my answer while I was posting

14. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    It has already been submitted last week. I don't know how long it will take Apple. Let's hope its soon.

We are really proud of this game. I don't want to blow our own trumpet but I reckon this will stand out from the crowd.

Matmi have been making online games for years. This is our first iPhone game under our own name.

15. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    What kind of games do you guys usually create? Is this your first pinball project?

Also, I really love how TA allows developers and players to interact on such a level playing field.

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    YAY! Submitted!! Yeah it seems Apples approval process can be all over the place, sometimes just takes a couple days, sometimes takes a month or more :eek: Let's hope we get it soon. I really wish I was not at work right now, I'd like to see the video you posted. But the screenshots look awesome, the art style is very appealing. Really, I know I might be getting redundant, but CAN'T WAIT!! :D

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Totally agree. Thank you all active devs!!

18. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    We have been creating award winning online games for years. We have always wanted to produce mobile games but the mobiles were rubbish and porting to all the different handsets was a nightmare.

When the iPhone came out we loved it and created a team of developers to work with our digital artists. The pinball game has taken 6 months to finish. We wrote a besposke physics engine and created all the 3D stuff from scratch. Some of the characters have featured in our other games.

Have a look at our site www.matmi.com to see what else we do. Our strapline is Magic across Media and that is what we try our best at.

We love digital design and games. We live and breathe games.

I cannot wait for Monster Pinball release. We were fed up with so many bad pinball apps. We wanted to do something completely different. I think we have succeeded.

You'll have to wait and see :)

19. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Checked out the site.

I used to work professional in game dev, as a pixel artist for a while, so I have a deep appreciation for games and art styles.

I really really love the consistency in art style across your games and the only 2 words I can think of to describe the art style is Japanese-French Fusion. Its cute, but at the same time euro styled. I really like it.

Anyway, I keep trolling the forums instead of working, so back to work for me :)

20. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#40 Habakuk, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    I'll try to describe the video a bit for those who can't watch it ;)

All tables are fixed view, no scrolling, panning or zooming at all. Complete different tables. Most of the items are comic style, even the fitting and opulent sounds (spacy, alarm sirens, computer generated voices). It's really fast and almost hectic ;) Perfect smooth and believable, realistic physics.

Most tables have more than two flippers (larger and smaller ones!) and are very asymmetric (even the flippers, different shapes). Some vortexes and black holes. Ufos. Visible out-gutters and adjustable plungers at very unusual places. Glowing balls. Awesome shaped ramps. Animated elements (traps, ball eating and spitting muppets, electrifying bumpers). Shiny graphic overlays with special hints. "Bindy Spin", "Hot Ball", "Head Banger", "The Bowl", lots of freeballs, full of fantasy and fun.

Partly rather abstract, but as the devs are saying: "It’s nothing short of a pinball extravaganza, taking the core principles of pinball to a totally new level!"

The controls and the very fast counting LED scores are at the bottom of the portrait view. The player in the video clip has his fingers only here at the bottom of the touch screen and obviously doesn't make use of accelerometer features. Other areas for plungers. Options screen at the beginning.

Really impressive! Can't await playing it. Come on, Apple, click "approved".