Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    "That guy" meaning the one who responded in the comments "all you do is look at the game." I'm actually agreeing with your position to an extent. And by "jackass" I mean someone who will make an inaccurate or untruthful statement in the service of a joke.

For future reference, if I ever call you a jackass, I will say "You are a jackass". I believe in writing clearly :).

2. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    #382 heringer, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
    Oh, ok. Sorry if I misunderstood that. I've got a little defensive in this thread.

3. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    If you go round calling people pretentious I'm not surprised!

4. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I played Nova and MC and wasnt a huge fan of either game. I like most of gamelofts games but first person shooters just dont do it for me on a touch screen. sorry i just disagree w u that the controls are better than analog sticks. Esp not WAY better. Still trying to get used to the touch screen controls for first person shooters. I find it hard to move camera and be accurate. But we can respectfully disagree on this topic and in this forum and have a sensible discussion without attacking each other like we have. I enjoy debates like this and respect your opinion and thoughts and insight. wish more folks had discussions like this instead of jumping down peoples throats as i often find happen in this forum on a regular basis. people can disagree. there is no one correct opinion.

5. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    My point is u @Heringer. I didnt know u were the only one capable of having an intelligent discussion. I guess i should admit i am incapable of objectively judging a game as u say. I made a statement about how awesome i thought it was to have max payne on an iphone and u made some other smart ass remark. How dare i make a statement that disagrees with yours.

6. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    You are very defensive. Relax man. its just a fun discussion. why the need to be combative all the time.

7. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    Completely agree w you @psj3809

8. kafinnoeman

kafinnoeman Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Well, I'm just gonna share my experience of playing Max Payne on my iPod Touch 4.

So, I just finished this game on fugitive difficulty about 4 days ago and it was my third time (first time was on PC and second time was on my macbook) beating that Aesir CEO, Horne. The game feels just like the same as the computer versions, except its control. I have to admit that the control is kinda sucks, so I just put the soft auto-aim on.

And 2 days ago, I've just started playing it on the hard-boiled difficulty level, and it is surely harder. It forces me to put the hard auto-aim on and even with that hard auto-aim on, I still got killed very often. The enemies are just being superior. I believe that turning off the auto-aim would drive me crazy.

So, this Hard-Boiled level is still pretty challenging for me, even though the auto-aim is on, I still have to be very careful and use my brain to get through those enemies.

That's pretty much what I'd love to share with all of you guys!
    Cheers! Keep calm and play game!

9. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    that is because with the auto aim off you can really see how BAD the controls are, auto-aim takes the fun out of the shooters, there's no point in playing them anymore like that, this game desperately needs an update in that regards.

10. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    Agreed. I understand what they were probably thinking. Which would most likely be that if we enable an auto aim it will make up for the control difficulty. so w auto aim if the reticule is anywhere close u will hit the enemies. It makes sense on paper but when its translated over to the game the auto aim still takes the fun away.

11. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    So, finally got the chance to download the game (stuck with really shitty internet connection currently). I won't say I'm disappointed with the game but that's only coz I expected it to be crap to begin with!

The problem is the same as every other pc/console action game port on iOS. The controls absolutely suck, period. Without the auto lock, it's downright unplayable. With auto lock, it's no better than watching someone else play the game. Now thanks to the neat story and presentation, that still makes the game worth getting on iOS. But its no where close to Max Payne "game" I used to love and play for hours over and over again. This feels more like some sort of "Max Payne Interactive Movie" instead.

I'll probably play through it once and then delete it (over 1gb, ugh). If there was a way to use a physical controller with the game, it'll never leave my iPad. MP was the first game I played with bullet time, and it's still the best one with bullet time.

Also a bit surprised this got a 5 star recommendation from TA. It's a great game without any doubt, but definitely not on iOS.

12. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    #392 BruteOutlawz, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    While i agree the controls could of been better, its not unplayable. Ive completed it with auto lock off, there was a few times where i got frustrated with it but overall it wasnt bad.

Apple do need to release a game controller though, it would change ios gaming completly.

I plan on getting the icontrolpad soon because with blutrol you can map touch events on quite a few ios games. Its got limitations but it adds to the overall ios experience.

I think the problem with max payne controls is that you cant press the fire button then drag to aim while still firing. if they fixed that then it would be a lot better.

13. annas92

annas92 New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    how to zoom sniper rifle????

14. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Just press the snipe button to your left. If you kept pressing in the snipe button, it will zoom you in.

15. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Controls fixed?

16. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    What do you mean? There isn't a new control "option" if that's what you're looking for. ;)

The controls are working. Of course it's not for everyone (not being able to shoot and aim at the same time) but it's ok with soft aim-assist on.

I wasn't very happy with them first but now I'm fine with (and over) with it. Played through it once and now I'm done with it. Nice game!

17. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #397 The Bat Outta Hell, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    Yeah I've been having big trouble with the controls too. I've been meaning to beat Max Payne 1 and 2 before 3 comes out, but I might just play it on steam instead. The "looking around" amount of screen given is way too small, and even my iPod 4g is getting framerate stutters.

On the other hand, I felt that GTA III was a damn good port.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Might want to get comfortable with those 4g touch stutters...

19. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Most apps, if not all are still running fine on the 4g. Max Payne definitely shouldn't be an exception.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #400 syntheticvoid, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    If not all??? Bwahahaha!

I can make you a bigass list of games that either don't run, barely run, or "stutter" quite a bit on a 4th gen touch if you like?