Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Go for it, I've never had any problems.

2. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    agreed, IB2 runs smoothly, 9mm too, MC3 too, why should MP be the exception.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #403 syntheticvoid, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    K.. Bad night...

I've got 3 reviews to writeup today, no time...

But I'll give you hints...

Silver tree media
    Unreal is not a friend of the 4th gen
    Kids vs goblins and highflyer death defyer
    Everything plays the way it's supposed to on an iPad 2 and 4S... Once you play on those, you realize how crappy the 4th gen is...

3GS is more stable than the 4th gen...

Save your money for a device that will not be obsolete in 6 more months...
    =oP

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    k... short little list...

I have problems with slowdown and framerate issues while playing;

Cordy
    Cordy Sky
    Megajump
    BallAHolic
    Bug Princess 2
    BlastZone2
    Waking Mars
    QuBIT
    Smash Cops
    Sleepy Jack
    Monkey Quest
    Gyro13
    Shogun
    Raidleader
    Draw Slasher The Quest
    No Gravity
    Galactic Phantasy
    Infinity Blade
    Infinity Blade II
    Dark Meadow
    Mission Sirius
    Ravenmark
    MacGruffin's Curse
    Street Wrestler
    Zombie Infection
    Lock n' Load
    The Great Jitters: Pudding Panic
    Darkness Rush

And these have so much lag they're basically unplayable;

Warm Gun
    M.U.S.E.
    Chicken Rescue
    Mailmen
    Rage
    Sonic Ep. 4-1
    Nightworld
    Demolition Dash
    Epoch.
    Dungeon Defenders
    Danger Alliance: Battles
    Call of Cthulhu
    The Fancy Pants Adventures
    Front Line Commando
    Sparkle 2 EVO

And can not play on a 4th gen touch;

Kids Vs. Goblins
    HighFlyer DeathDefyer

There's plenty more that lag and stutter...

Basically, after you play these games on a better device, and see how they're meant to be run... you'll notice slowdown, framerate issues, and lag in almost every game you play... but these are some of the worst offenders.

5. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I had an iPod Touch, and while there were those slowdowns, it wasn't THAT bad. Of course, now that I have my iPhone 4S they run really smoothly, but, at least from your list, Warm Gun, Sonic 4, Rage and Epoch were very playable.

While playing Max Payne, I only had framerate issues while playing the last missions.

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    that's fine... they aren't very playable on my device...

and I experienced no framerate issues through all of Max Payne...

I've come to realize that it's hit and miss with the 4th gen touch... depends on space, ios version, what size the device is, wether you're online or not... have gamecenter or openfeint enabled... and just general luck...

I also can't play more than 3 GameSalad games without some major lag issues on my 4th gen...

but I can pretty much guarantee you that there are others here on the forum who have had problems with their 4th gen, and EVERY single game I"ve listed.

7. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Maybe it's iOS 5 that causes some people problems. It basically ruined my iPad 1. Even web browsing was unstable.

8. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    #408 UmbraVir, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    IB2 has its moments of lagging(in certain rooms), as well as MC3. Actually, I would say that MC3 has a pretty poor performance on 4G. Not exactly stutters, but a low frame rate and a low responsive rate. I haven't played Max Payne yet, but I've seen some levels(like the level with rain) on youtube with iPhone 4 and it did lag pretty bad. Plan to get MP soon though. few more pts on FMA :D

9. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The iPod Touch has less memory, less RAM, then the iPhone, which leads to serious issues on games attempting to push iDevice specs. Plus, the chip is obviously two generations old. But it's the internal memory, or lack there of, that's screwing up performance. It's really a joke that Apple continues to sell that device at full price. I wonder if Apple employees are honest enough to tell you what you are buying, because it would be unethical and display a complete lack of integrity if you went around selling potential customers a bill of goods when it comes to what the iPod Touch really is. It's an antiquated, outdated piece of tech that Apple has no business selling with any legitimate justification at that price.

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It has half the ram AND pushes retina display... Which REALLY makes it suffer. I totally agree about pricing for the 4th gen, it's rediculous.

11. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    i disagree with that list, my 4th gen doesn't lag on all the games showing there that i've played, the only one that might lag sometimes it's IB2 and even so, Max payne lags SO much worse, when there is fire, it's UNPLAYABLE, like nothing i've ever seen before, srsly. i don't get why, geometrically the game is way below recent gameloft games, in textures as well and animations and physics, i really don't get why this problem shows so bad in the 4th gen.

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    K, last time i waste my time tryin to help save a few bucks...

Keep your 4th gen, enjoy it. What the #### do I care.

13. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Seems like you care quite a lot actually :rolleyes:

14. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    ppl get to sensitive and take too personal in this forum lol

it's obvious that some ppl are just not allowed to disagree. but hey, overall, MP is one of the best TPS on the iOS IMHO.

15. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    Ive never had a 4G but my iPhone 4 ran most games fine(MC3 and IB2 lagged sometimes, but playable). Considering iPod has less ram but same resolution, I expect it to be quite bad. When I use my friend's it doesn't feel smooth at all. I've been using an iPad 2 since it came out and 4S for months so that's probably the reason. But you still gotta understand, not everyone that payed $200 on an iPod can afford a $600 or more phone.

16. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    It's always easier to see / understand if you have two different devices next to each other. That made it clear to me.

17. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    I havent had an iPod touch in years. I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3 but I do know that the iPod 4G has only 256 mb of ram. 256 is not all free, some is already allocated to the OS. Depending on how taxing the graphics are or how the developer coded the game, the iPod touch might struggle or crash constantly if not restarted. I don't know any adults who have ipod touch's but have iPhones or iPad's but I'm sure many exist. I see quite a few young people with iPhone 4's and at least that has double the ram of the iPod touch 4th gen.

The A5 iPod touch is expected in the Autumn. With the advent of the next gen iPhone coming, iPod 3/4G users will be left behind with old processors and small MB of ram. Some games already state that they are made only for A5 devices.

Sorry to get off topic! :eek:

18. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Just turned thirty here myself and I truly am wowed by what is capable on a mobile device these days. That said, I am also a technology freak and expect more and more from -in this case- mobile devices and what they can do.

But what is a stunning looking game worth without proper controls? Exactly!
    I too, can be both stunned and also quite critical at the same time.
    The problem I have with the controls is the mere fact it misses the smoothness of -lets say- Modern Combat 3 when looking around. Like it's too senstive as it goes all over the place like it has Parkinson when you move your finger about.
    And I've tried to lower the sensitivity, but that doesn't help much either.

Shell casings and blob shadows would be a great addition, but I truly hope the controls will be the main priority for the next update. That will make the game much more enjoyable.
    I stopped playing after a few levels.

19. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    i still don't get the argument here, yes, some games are starting to be for A5 only therefore they lag on 4th G, i get that, sheit moves forward...

but Max Payne? a game that runs SILKY smooth (on ULTRA HIGH) on my old Acer Aspire One? which the iPod 4th is at least twice as powerful?

no discussion here, this should run PERFECTLY retina or not.

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #420 Pony, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Well, that's just it. There is a discussion here.
    The part you indeed apparently missed is the fact that your Acer Aspire One has an x86 architecture, for which the game was coded and designed.
    The A series chips from Apple are in fact ARM processors. Entirely different architecture.
    You have to take hardware platforms in consideration when it comes to porting games, and the one and foremost fundamental aspect is that you cannot expect the exact same performance on an entirely different platform.

So please, do your homework first before coming to the conclussion that there is absolutely no valid argument (or "discussion", as you called it) why the game shouldn't run as smooth on ARM hardware because your Acer Aspire One (a PC) can do the same. :)