Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    ^ i know and understand that, now, explain, why most ports work well on a ARM processor? list?

carnivores
    Final Fantasy
    Chaos Rings
    Chinatow wars
    Driver
    Tony Hawk.

obviously they came from different systems and different hardwares.

so no, poor porting.

oh and :) for you too.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #422 psj3809, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Lots of old classic MAME games dont work on my ipod, you could say 'why not as these games came out in the 80's so surely should work on this powerful system...' but thats not the case. As Pony says a lot is to do with the hardware systems, totally different, its not just 'press a button and its ported perfectly'. Yes some other ports seem to work perfectly but at the end of the day theres different teams working on them, cant really compare.

Anyway back to the game. Completed this the other night, cant believe what a huge game it was, did get a bit samey in some areas with the usual burst into a room and go bullet time and kill everyone there. But an epic game for the couple of pounds i spent on this.

I must admit there were a lot of crashes when there seemed to be 'fire' on screen, specially the car park with the cars crashing/bursting into flames. Anyway really enjoyed this, never played it before so i did love it, actually glad it had auto aim on. Deleted it now i've completed it as i need the space !

But a great game for the money, roll on GTA IV in a year or so

3. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Holy crap....just finished this on the iPad since I want to play the first two before I get MP3 for the 360.

Holy hell the controls made me want to chunk my iPad across the room. This game is proof that console action games do NOT work with a touch screen .

I wish I would've forked out the $10 or $15 for the PC or Xbox versions.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Regardless on the merits of this particular port (I didn't hate the controls but I'll accept that I'm one of the few), the notion that one game proves anything about what touchscreen can or can't do is silly. Recently I've been playing a very decent Dynasty Warriors clone and replaying Dead Space: both work very well on a touch screen. Do these suddenly not count because Rockstar may have botched the controls on Max Payne?

I think it's high time to stop making generalizations and focus on the qualities of specific titles.

/rant

5. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    New update :D

Adds the ability to shoot and aim

Icloud support

Various stability and bug fixes

6. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Shoot and aim? "damn,it's about time" quoted from the wrong game I know.

7. jps1012

jps1012 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Has anyone tried the controls since the update? I want to buy the game if the controls are better.

8. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    I never really had problems with the old controls but the ability to tap fire and slide to aim has made it a lot better.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've held off inflicting the Payne to the Max upon myself, partly because I've played it six ways to sunday back in the early 2000s, but also partially because the controls seemed like a surprising step backwards for iOS third-person action (much like squarezero above, I am a firm believer in that console action games can be translated to smartphones with positively user-friendly results. I'd even go further, and proudly claim that there no genre that cannot be enjoyed on an iPhone, with clever enough UI design and a total disregard for old conventions).

For those of you who never quite found Max as precise or responsible as you would have liked, does this new update resolve those problems, partially or fully? (Perhaps it is not even a necessity, seeing as at least user whose judgement I generally trust was able to enjoy the game regardless...)

10. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    The latest update asked that I clear space even though I had 2.6 GB remaining it also now fails to launch.

I click the icon the screen goes black for a second and then it goes back to the main menu for the phone

It also did this for me for affliction the latest free zombie game

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
  12. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks for that I now know to wait before I download anything else

The bad part I deleted Max Payne off my phone and I was halfway through the story mode

Hopefully now the better controls make that first half more fun the next time I play it

13. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Hi,

The new shoot while aiming controls work really well and the app loaded first time (I also had a lot of problems getting the game to start previously).

Enjoy!

14. morphman

morphman Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    The game looks fantastic at Retina (as always) and the new aim and shoot controls feel really, really nice.

Great update! For three bucks cant beat it.

15. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    The reason the size is so big is probably because the I device needs room for both the ipa and files it extracts at the same time, which leads to the game taking up more storage space while it's installing then the app takes after it's installed.

16. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    iCloud support is awesome,but Game Center ranking and trophies would be awesome too instead of RGSC.

17. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    iCloud save games: Finally! Awesome!
    I hope they do the same for GTA 3.

18. forenglandalec

forenglandalec Active Member

May 18, 2012
    It was incredibly awkward when I tried it on my new iPad. Have these new controls actually made it seem more natural?

19. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Yeah they're good. Give it a go.

It is a bit too easy now tho.

20. jps1012

jps1012 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I just bought the game. Are the new updated controls default or do I have to do something in options? Thanks