Universal Maximus - the Sword of Dawn (by Mooff Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by S-Mario, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ShamusLowlander

ShamusLowlander Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2010
    How do you get blossom? Do you have to beat hard mode?

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    No, I think you just have to beat level 5? Or maybe 10. Can't remember.

3. Firefly0704

Firefly0704 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I got blossom on a random drop on the last level on gamer mode, which is after hard. I think that if I hadn't got her this way, I would have gotten her after beating the level.

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Oh, nvm, I was thinking of Alyssa. No idea about Blossom.

5. Firefly0704

Firefly0704 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    IMO, blossom isn't the best pet. Sure, she heals and does damage, but it's low damage and a medium heal. She heals as much as Alyssa's nova heals, just at a slower rate, and the damage is around half of what I deal. For non-Alyssa characters blossom is better brcause they don't have a heal built in to them. And also, healing is relative to health/defense (in this game they are same thing), so more defense equals more healing. So really, blossoms usefulness depends on who you like to use most.

6. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Congrats with the TA review guys!!!Well deserved..:D

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

The TA review didn't really mention the F2P model
    Is it freemium/paywall? Or is the IAP not necessary?

8. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Level 10: Grunter the Bearwolf, is obnoxious. Huge difficulty spike.

9. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I completed normal mode without much difficulty (died like twice) and nothing spent.

Haven't played hard mode yet but I can assure you the core normal game is quite easy without spending money.

10. kwokx@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    #110 [email protected], Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    Trying to play through with all character to get a better judgement of the game difficulty/exploits. I'm stuck on bearwolf on gamer mode for the frank character. It does seem frustratingly hard without a pet to break u out of the hug so it's a minor flaw (that a boss is too hard without help of a pet). Thanks for pointing out Sumo Splash, wasn't it you that raised the issue of toonshooters stage 7?

For bishop and Alyssa I've beat gamer mode, they have much easier time on Bearwolf but some other bosses become really hard.

11. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    #111 Andre, Jun 24, 2013
    Which are the best items on Maximus? And where did you find them? I've try a lot but until now, I only have the lead sword. :(

12. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #112 SumoSplash, Jun 24, 2013
    Indeed it was. Good memory. Are you one of the devs for Maximus?

One consistency (or rather, inconsistency, depending on how you look at it) shared between Toon Shooter and now Maximus is that there tends to be some significant difficulty imbalances between one stage to the next, to the point where I am just simply too frustrated to be having any fun, or I am just breezing through the level with little challenge. The Vault of Secrets level is one such example. I have played it about 50 times and still haven't beaten it. Between the Double Dragon-esque extending wall-pillars that hit you even though you're at a safe distance, the running with the boulders and chess piece-like objects obstructing my path, and the ridiculously cheap boss that mauls with no way to block, I just keep dying. I know I'll beat it eventually, but it will be an experience that won't be satisfying when I do, but rather one I will be eager to forget. Also, with situations like this, with difficulty spikes coupled with consumable IAP for continues, one has to wonder just how intentional this type of annoyance factor is.

13. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    #113 Retro Nug, Jun 24, 2013
    When ya die they look like Jedi force ghosts or something. heheh

Also, is it just me or is the music in the Graveyard from another game? I can't put my finger on it, but it definetly sounds very familiar.

14. lhymes

lhymes New Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #114 lhymes, Jun 24, 2013
    Hi, I've been playing for a bit. Really enjoying the game. I like the short-and-sweet feel of each level. My biggest gripe is the frustration of the slot machine. I really think you should add a feature to lock reels on it for x coin (like 1000-1500 per reel lock per spin?; xp and gold reel icons not lockable). Otherwise, I really enjoy the game and don't feel forced to use iap (which tends to be what draws me to use iap). Thanks!

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well somehow missed this the first time round. Think i was 'worried' there was no movement controller but the way it works it works very well.

LOVED Toon Shooters and really enjoy the same graphic style here. I'm only early on in this game but really very impressed. Love the nods to some of the past games and some of the wit in the game

Very impressive

16. Kwok

Kwok Member

Jun 25, 2012
    @Andre - the best items are the gold ones, gold pets appear in slot machine and in any of the stages, but as you get further in Hard and Gamer Mode you get more gold items. Some cool ones I got are Sword of Omens - 1 attack 3 defense 1 luck and power of lightning, which on critical strike will sap their hp and give it to you.

@SumoSplash - Im gonna fix Bearwolf ASAP, thanks for playing that stage 50 times Im very very sorry that slipped into the release, I somehow always passed him with other characters and had the right pets so I didn't realize he can be such a cheapo. Ive died on it 20 times on gamer mode with frank now (and gave up by using my last continue), the key issue is his running grab needs to be made easier (or fairer) to avoid. Perhaps thats where some of the gripes of using IAP pay walls are coming from, Ive posted a more detailed comment about our attitude to IAP in the comments of the review page.

17. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    @dev: I think iCade support should be good. Any plan to add it?

18. Chiskle

Chiskle Active Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Toon Shooter still my all time favorite ios shooter because the controls and innovative play. In fact, I still play TS on my iPhone, it never gets old. This iteration is shaping up very comparable. Well done indeed!

19. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Man, this game needs a Co-op mode!!

20. MJY8

MJY8 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011