Universal Mech Pilot - (by Rocking Pocket Games) Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RPGGuy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

#41 MicroByte, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    It's certainly a great looking game as far as I can tell, thanks for providing the background. I guess people were just expecting a full fledged, mission based, "Mech Warrior" so were caught off guard with it being an on-the rails type game.

In terms of defense, is there anything to assist with avoiding fire (dodge?). If not, maybe that would be something to consider. Based on the videos, it looked a lot like you run in and hope that you can out shoot the enemy before they get you without really having any ability to defend yourself. Maybe instead of dodge, a shield mechanic?

Also, I didn't realize that you made Puppet Jump, that was one of my favorite games for the longest time!

2. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Oh very interested!

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    When I first got an iPod Touch 2G, I relied on these forums to help me decide which games to get and often didn't read the descriptions because I found the opinions here to be more worthwhile. Then I get bit a few times when the Requirements for an app listed 2G support but it didn't work.

I've since learned that I NEED to read the descriptions to see if there's anything that mentions device compatibility -- now for my 3GS. That said, the general public probably doesn't read descriptions as much because they hear of a fun game and just go buy it (how many millions do you think read the Angry Birds' description before buying after it became a hit? I imagine very few.).

Anyway, unfortunately, app descriptions aren't enough. Sometimes even reading the description doesn't give any info about devices that it will work on. And they certainly don't prevent a user from downloading a game.

This is an area where Apple really needs to step up to the plate. Like a previous poster mentioned, there's no way a dev can select what devices their game is compatible with. It's primarily based on what components a device has (ie., front facing camera) or the iOS, which is what the dev tried to do here.

There was a recent game that listed iPad compatibility, but only in the description did it mention that the iPad 3 was not compatible. So even newer devices are not always guaranteed to play a game.

I just think this is an issue that continues to persist and I don't understand why Apple insists on not allowing devs to determine the device requirements. The devs might make a mistake, but at least it makes it impossible for someone with a device not under the Requirements to download it.

4. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Wish I had read the comments. I didn't realize the game was an on rails game. I will still check it out because it looks great but I instantly bought it because I thought it was going to be a Mechwarrior 2 type game for iOS.

5. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Horrible game. The controls are awful and the gameplay is dreadful. The graphics are mediocre with good mech and vehicle models and horrible surroundings . I really regret buying this .:mad:

6. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #46 gemineye62, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    First off , I want to say thank you for making this game.

I read your comments about how you meant the game to play out and I am playing it levelling my mech up, as you suggested. With every play through,
    I certainly get a lot further than before and I am getting used to the aiming and
    movement conctrols.

So far I am having fun with this challenging game.

Just a suggestion though. Would you consider a back button to allow the mech to retrace its path to back up? This would at least allow the player to
    move back and use buildings as cover in some cases where you moved too far ahead and find yourself surrounded.

Thanks you

7. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    That's possible.

Also for the shields I might add a shield bubble that you can deploy around yourself. You could pick it up like the ammo boxes at certain locations and use it where you want. That would add some defence to the game without making it too easy.

8. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Very poor gameplay, and really awfull graphics. Not worth even 1 buck.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Really awful graphics, huh?

Here's one guy who hasn't played it right here ^

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Seriously going to ignore posts like this and keep making the game better. You can't tell me a year of development getting everything just perfect and the game isn't worth a buck. Try out the Metronosis mission pack and see the variety in the missions, new enemies etc. There is a lot of challenging gameplay throughout the 10 missions included.

I think the videos speak for themselves for the quality of the graphics and it's doing a lot more than most iOS games with god rays, full scene dynamic soft shadows, specular lighting, laser effects, large numbers of particles, etc.

If you know of a mech game that has better graphics let me know because I want to play it :)

11. gemineye62

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes, a shield would be nice as well. Funny , how you commented on it
    as I thought about the same thing but forgot to write it in my response.
    The homing weapon is great to use. It takes down those pesky helicopters
    nicely.

Thanks

12. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    You don't need to prevent idiots from wasting their money. As long as the supported devices are clearly listed, it's the responsibility of the customer to make sure he or she can actually run what they buy.

Every app lists every device it is designed to run on. If someone ignores that info, well, the ****'s on them.

13. gemineye62

Feb 16, 2010
    Another suggestion would be to have the voice giving you guidance not
    say something if you already destroyed a target. This destroys a bit of the
    belief in the world if she says a Mech is coming up after you destroyed it.

Thanks

14. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Based on the videos the game looks awesome. Whats everyone bitching about in the 1st place? Please be detailed in your explanations. Looking forward to downloading this game in 4hrs when I get off work.

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #55 Rip73, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    I think some of the posts on here are extraordinarily harsh.
    The game is at its best on an iPad 2 or 3 with iOS 6. That's pretty straightforward.
    There's seem to be a lot complaining about graphics that don't have these devices or the iOS installed.
    I remember infinity blade 2 came out and it had a big notice saying it works best on iOS 5. I hadn't bothered upgrading and I couldn't quite see how everybody kept mentioning shadows and particles which I never saw. Until I upgraded the iOS. The difference in graphics after updating was very big.
    If the game recommends iOS 6, well then it's iOS 6 it needs. For those criticising about graphics, save it until you're on the latest. And those on older devices, upgrade. The iPod touch 4 is dead, outdated and not capable of running higher graphics at this stage. iPad 1 and 3gs are in the same both.
    Also, pointing out mistakes or shortcomings in a game is perfectly fine but please try and be at least a bit respectful to a developer. They are showing us respect by posting here and looking for our opinions. At least try and give them the same respect.
    Respectfully given suggestions for improvement will be taken on board by developers. Simple bitching and moaning probably won't.

16. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    the thing is, everything isn't perfect. early on, i wondered why various parts of my mech were flashing when i fired the gun. there seems to be no work done in terms of shadows to go along with the lighting.

i feel like a broken record, though, when i say it does look nice on the whole. the buildings are rather generic, and the fact that missions have you moving through the same small map from different angles kind of reduces the feeling that this is a large scale war. mech designs are great, and i find myself wishing i was piloting more than just the one you get at the beginning.

i think one of the itunes reviews had an interesting point when it said it's like colonial fighting; you just stand there and fire at each other till one of you dies. and another one suggests having the 'idiot' controlling the legs of your mech be in charge of holding the harvest button. that's a novel idea.

about the videos representing the game well, i'd have to say they are what sold me on the game. however, it's never clear that you have no control over where you walk, and i think that's going to be the biggest initial complaint from the majority of players.

17. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #57 RPGGuy, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    That is specular lighting from the muzzle flashes. I don't really know what you mean by there is no work done in terms of shadows. There is only enough gpu power to do one shadow from the sun so local lighting like muzzle flashes do not cast shadows.

18. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    let's say, for example, if I shine a flashlit under my hand. the bottom of my hand is going to light up, but not the top...and not the top of my shoulders or head. maybe in a small, dark room with glossy walls, but not in a brightly lit city.

and I wanted to mention before how the app description probably should have tipped me off about the game. "WOW" "5 stars!" "some quote you made up" is a hilarious way to instil confidence in buyers...especially since there isn't a single five star review yet.

19. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I've worked in computer graphics for over 25 years and I know how lighting works! Since the camera is always on the opposite side of the muzzle flash you wouldn't see anything. Therefore I faked the direction in order to get the effect I wanted. Sometimes you have to play with things to make it look the way you want. And the quotes were taken from people who played the game before its release or saw the videos which have been around a while now. I'm sure I'll have better quotes to put in the description now that the game is out :)

20. chrissphinx

chrissphinx New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Look, no offense guy, but if you have been working graphics for over 25 years why are you using an ancient and stagnant engine like Power Render? I just think this is a good example of knowing only one part of the craft. Part of what makes a game fun is the graphics, thats true, but if the gameplay isn't solid then who's going to appreciate your visuals?