iPhone Mech Pilot - Epic Sci-fi Shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RPGGuy, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I have it running at 20 fps on the latest iPod Touch with the shadows and other effects turned off. Not the ideal experience but it will be playable.

The iPad 3 gets around the same frame rate with everything turned on.

2. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008

Here is a new video. I've been polishing and adding a few things:

- Cara (leader of the rebellion) voice instructions and story while playing.
    - Dimmed weapon icons indicate you have no ammo for that weapon
    - Particle based fires
    - End mission marker
    - Smoke puffs when something explodes

The game has been optimized and running at near 30 fps on iPad 3. It has also been tuned and tested for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and the lastest iPod Touch.

The first 5 mission are done and it's almost ready to be released. However since it requires IOS 6 I have to wait until Apple releases that before I can submit it. Until then I'll be trying to get another 5 mission done to include with the launch.

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    This is an on rails shooter so jumping and dodging isn't going to be part of the game. Even though it's on rails you still need to think about strategy. You can control when to stop, so you can stop behind a building and pick off enemies before coming out of cover.

Since these are the first 5 levels, there aren't an overwhelming number of enemies. Future levels will have more mayhem and more targets at once.

4. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    How much will it cost?

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The price will be $0.99 for the universal app and have the first level with 5 missions. Additional level packs of 5 missions will be IAP for $0.99 each.

So if I do 25 mission as originally planned it will be $5 total.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    What engine are you using? It seems as though it should be running at a higher framerate than just below 30 for a5 and a5x devices...

7. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It's using Power Render 7 for the engine that I developed. This used to be a PC commercial engine but I stopped selling it and now only use it to make IOS games.

On iPad 3 it's using a 4096x4096 shadow map and god rays, so I think it's doing quite well to get 30 fps. I might be able to squeeze a few more fps out of it over time. Looking forward to the next iPhone running this game :)

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    There are a number of things to manage, like weapons overheating, ammo, which weapons to use on which enemies, how many to engage at once, etc. If you just barge through a level as fast as possible you won't last long.

If you can't make it through a level you will be constantly collecting the game's currency called Electro, which you can use to upgrade your health, weapons, and weapon cooldown rate. If you're not very good at the strategy part you can still grind it out and eventually get through with brute force :)

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Fair enough, fair enough. The game certainly does look impressive, nice job on that. Any idea if it'll be possible to include some options for those of us with a5 and 0/or a5x devices to selectively turn off certain effects such as realtime shadows, AA, texture quality, resolution, god rays, etc? That way we can fiddle around with it if we want to get a nice balance between framerate and effects (which varies by individial).

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I was going to have lots of options like Zombies The Last Stand but have decided to auto detect which device you have and turn things on or off for the best experience. It makes things simpler and gives the best possible experience for everyone without fiddling around with settings.

The things that change are shadow resolution, god ray resolution, and shadows on/off. I think if you have an iPod touch or iPhone 4 there are no shadows. iPhone 4S, iPad 2 have everything turned on but with less resolution than iPad 3.

11. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    maybe later. For now what you see in the videos is what you get. :)

12. JohnSimond

JohnSimond Active Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Not bad at all!

13. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I am happy to announce that the game has been approved by Apple and will be available tonight! It is already in some countries.

14. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Surprising, didn't expect to hear it out so soon!