iPad Mega Man X - (by Capcom)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh man... :/

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm i'll still give it a go. From the video it looks fine, i've heard people bang on about this 60fps a few times and the games i've played seem fine and this doesnt bother me.

Dont mind if its not 100% a perfect port, i shall find out later !

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, I'm still gonna get it. There's never enough Mega Man on iOS and I've NEVER deleted Mega Man II off my device.

4. OmKol

OmKol Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Moscow, Russia
    One more - this version has only one background layer. SNES version has two or three background layers. And I say again - SNES version looks better than this horrible port, IMHO. If you can't believe me, go to Youtube and compare these versions.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Offtopic:

It`s as always a pleasure :)

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just watched the video again, does look a little slow the gameplay but i remember this on my old Gameboy mono being a tad slow so i'm not too worried. Perhaps its just me but after watching the video again i cant wait to get it, controls look fine, love the look of it, looking forward to midnight

7. Supercupid

Supercupid Active Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Game Impressions

Can't wait the pick up this game

8. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    #28 Ghouls'R'us, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    The awkward-looking HD art assets seem to just be sugarcoating, hiding underneath it a mess of a remake. Watching Sanuku's gameplay video, I already see so many flaws. Sure seems like a train-wreck from where I'm standing.

Some of my gripes:
    • audio assets literally ripped from SNES version, instead of re-engineered to use contemporary tools;
    • lack of background parallax layers;
    • flat, static-looking visuals, with lack of perceptual depth;
    • awkward sprite animations;
    • Mega Man's charged blue fireball lacks visual fluidity, possibly from insufficient number of animation frames, doesn't look like a "ball of energy swooping forward";
    • claustrophobic screen layout reminiscent of original Gameboy MM ports;
    • virtual button overlays hide important action elements;
    • lazy font usage that doesn't even try to replicate the original's futuristic-looking type;
    • pointless screen transitions scattered throughout levels that break the game's flow and annoy the player (might be a game engine limitation?);
    • ugly introduction screen presentation that doesn't even try to replicate the original's cinematic flair.
    I could go on all day.

9. Rivalsan

Rivalsan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    I agree. It looks sloppy to me too. The thing that stands out the most (which made me lose interest) is that each game section seems to be only three or four screens long. Which means this was originally designed for a phone that had little to no RAM (i.e. a cheap cell phone). I remember the SNES Mega Man X games having huge environments, which was one of the differences between the regular games and the X games. This seems like a stripped down, cheap cell phone, remake.

Most likely going to skip.

10. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR

and if im not mistaken, MM2 for iOS is a cellphone remake....

Honestly im pretty excited that MMX hit iOS, but i remember presing 3 buttons at the same time on my SNES without counting movement, to do what i wanted to do... that seems a bit impossible on ipod... Charge Shot+Jump+Dash...

and i REAAALLLYYYYY don't like the new artwork

11. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    They should've just ported the psp version. Quite liked that one.

12. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    They should port MMZX series to the iOS... that might be an impossibility though...

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    oh man! now THAT would be sweet on an ipod.

i guess i can see why the size is so small now =\

14. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Ultimately a game like this would need a Bluetooth controller support.

15. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    I was really hoping this was gonna be a good game but seems like it's not doing that good so far. Can anybody comment on the actual controls? Is this type of game playable with the touch controls? That's what I really want to know. I'm not that picky about the port or the music quality. It's megaman. If the controls work I would buy it anyway even with the other flaws.

I couldn't get passed the controls on megaman 2 so I can only assume it's probably not gonna be much better with this :(

16. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i haven't played this game yet and honestly, i don't think the controls will be that good... for 1 simple reason

an ealier post of mine mentioned how in the SNES i always pressed 3 buttons at the same time... Attack Charge + Dash + Jump.... i honestly don't see that being very easy to pull off on the touch screen...

andi saw MM2's controls good considering you only have to jump and shoot without charging.... but if you couldnt get for the life of you, to like the controls on MM2, i doubt you'd like a more complicated set up with this game... for THIS reason, i won't be playing MMX ios version(oh and i am pretty confident in what im saying cuz i played on a snes emu on an ipod... MMX.... it was a pain in the ass)

hopefully im wrong... cuz i would really like to play this on my ipod... but i have very little hopes it will work

17. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    Ya deep down I already knew the controls are gonna be a problem lol but I was hoping somehow this game would be better. I remember the good old snes megaman X series days!

18. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    I'm gonna try to convince a friend of mine to buy this game... i almost always convince him when i tell him to buy a game since he thinks that every game i mention is pure epicness.... so once he buys it and insults me for making him buy that... ill play MMX on his iphone to see how well it goes... i dont have much hopes though =[

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Amazing how many people are able to have an in-depth discussion of a game's controls without having actually played it.

Only thing stopping me from picking this up now is I expect it to be $2.99 or less within a week. Particularly with all the poo-pooing in full flight here.

20. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    +1... this is not MM as I know and love it.