iPad Mega Man X - (by Capcom)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Really nice game, with good controls, terrific art, crisp graphics and fun and varied gameplay.

For reference, I've never been a fan of the series nor played any other Megaman game beyond a very quick go, so approached this with no expectations to fulfill, and no past experiences to live up to.

I'm just glad that after the flood of all the "bite-sized" platformers on the iOS there's finally something I can get my teeth into. Very much recommended.

2. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    I'm still waiting for somebody to comment on the controls. So far nobody has.

Edit: post above mine says the controls are good.... Interesting... Anybody else confirm?

3. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    LOL I like your style. Let us know how it goes

4. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I've never played Megaman before, so I might pick this up...

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    This is all I needed to hear. Sold.

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #46 Gabrien, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    More on the controls:

The left/right movement works as you'd expect without issue. I did notice the up/down can be a little fiddly when trying to latch onto a ladder mid-jump. However, this is extremely minor. There is an option actually to automatically latch onto ladders too, which I haven't tried. There are six different control layouts to choose from, (hidden for some reason in the "Screen" menu option) involving various positions of the jump and shoot buttons.

Also meant to make a mention of the IAP: if you don't click on the "shopping cart" button on the main screen you won't know it's there. (And won't care.)

EDIT: Another note: after defeating a boss and finishing the level be sure to tap on the "Save" icon in the top left corner of the level select screen to save your progress. Not sure why the game has you save manually but it appears to be a design choice for some reason.

7. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    did u get the dash boots and tried what I've been saying this whole time? since you seems to have noticed about me talking about the controls... with your comments and all that....

the dash jumping while holding the fire button? something that if u played MMX on snes or psp, you would have done A LOT...

im waiting for the response on how controls work when under those ciscumstances....

8. kitkeat

kitkeat Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    second that, any specific mention of wall dash jump? in SNES days, wall dash jump is performed while kick jumping on wall and simultaneously pressing the dash button and change direction to leap over to the other side. This is important to dodge some of the bosses' attack.

With onscreen control, how does this works? it's a bit tricky though...

9. TenOnez

TenOnez Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Really disappointed from looking at the gameplay video. The game did not need redrawn graphics, but they look okay, even though it looks like a flash game now. X's running animation does not look as smooth as the SNES version at all. I don't understand why they couldn't improve that during development.

One of my biggest problems with this release is that there are sections of the stages. That's just pathetic. Why, with all of this technology, can you not make the entire stage playable in one go? An SNES version in the 90s could play the entire stage without any sections and you could completely scroll through in one go without any loading anywhere inbetween the stage. It's just awful to see X go to a part of the intro stage and then the stage stops scrolling and you see the screen go blank, as though it were loading for a second, then start from the next part.

It's not that people are flinging poo at the game for nothing. Megaman X is a classic game that many people enjoyed playing in the 90s, it's a childhood game. To see Capcom treat an excellent game like this is just sad. They just did whatever to the game and then priced it at $5. If it were ported to the Appstore like Sonic CD with no graphical changes and everything intact, there would be no problems except probably the IAP thing. It's already bad enough that Capcom treats Megaman terribly now, but this is just another slap in the face to people that enjoy Megaman games. You just can't compare this port to the SNES version besides music and sound.

10. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    #50 Drexiel, Dec 21, 2011
    Game Impressions

Ok so i finally got my hand on this game....

ALL I'LL SAY IS BASED ON 3 STAGES OF PLAY (Intro, Penguin, Flame Mammoth)

Ok so this Megaman is like the NES ones... Not gameplay, remember those screen transitions? yup they're here... WHY?! I have no clue...

Animations seem awkward... SNES has smoother animations and better effects...

Screen is too close to the action... and when you at the left part of the screen, the D-Pad covers you, and so will your thumb.

CONTROLS!!!
    Ok so my earlier posts were worries about how attack charge+Dash+jump would work.... Let me get some things out of the way first.

-Cheats: Auto Charge, Auto Ladder Latch and Auto Fire. What do these do? They automatically latch you on to ladders and stick you to walls even if your not pressing UP to grab the ladder or Left/Right when pressing against a Wall. Your weapons, even subs, will automatically charge without you having to hold down the fire Button and Auto Fire is the equivalent of a Rapid Fire button where you just hold and it shoots a lot of small projectiles.

-Dashing: You want to dash? you press DOWN on the D-Pad(There's also Double Tapping Right/Left).... Yeah I know, sounds weird as hell, but it works somewhat. It's weird having to press down but it can be done without much hassle.

I beat the intro stage and killed the Penguin... The penguin didn't actually touch me and i was able to wall jump dash out of the way every time i tried... of course though, i practiced a bit b4 getting to him on how to dash while running and wall dashing.

Flame Mammoth on the other hand gave me quite a bit of trouble... I couldn't get the wall dash to execute when i wanted... And for that, i died... ALMOST killed him without getting touched but then i failed at pressing Right + Down in order to jump dash... so i fell on top of him and i died (started the fight with 1 pixel of HP left). Next fight against him was a total disaster... Here is when I noticed a very big problem... If your enemy is off you view, you can't hit him... and since the View is so Zoomed In(Flame Mammoth takes almost half the screen, WTF), you will get hit while trying to hit a boss because you tried to get close but an attack he shot off screen, is now too close to dodge.

There are 6 control options but i felt that Control E was the best option, Screen Flipping is locked and can only be changed via Options.

For $5 I wouldn't recommend it... for .99 or 1.99 yeah sure, it will be a nice distraction. But this is not the way to treat Mega Man Fans... Hand drawn sprites (ugly imo), too zoomed in and it feels like a Gameboy Color title with modern graphics (Wasn't there a GBC megaman x?). The ipod is capable of running high end games like Infinity Blade, but Capcom decides to do this... thing?!

My Problems With This Game
    -Area Transition like in old MM titles
    -Ugly Graphics(this is MY opinion)
    -Framerate Sucks (Snes MMX has a better framerate).
    -Dashing takes time and patience getting used to. SO don't expect your SNES/PSP skills to translate over to the iOS version.

If you can get the graphics issues aside and the area transitions... You could have fun with this game once you get comfortable enough to wall jump dash everytime. Unless you rage... like i did...

11. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I like this game, controls are good, graphics are decent, but MAN is one thing annoying: the auto-charge sound. Every time you fire it's, rrrRRREEEEEE *fire*..rrrrRRRRREEEEEE *fire* holy F*** is that annoying! You seriously will hear rrrRRRRREEEEEEE to correspond with EVERY. SINGLE. SHOT. FIRED. It almost made me flush my iPhone down the toilet with a maniacal smile on my face.

12. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    man i feel the art is terrible.

i hope they release a mode with original pixel arts.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #53 metalcasket, Dec 21, 2011
    Not surprisingly, this...word for word. Even if this inevitably goes down in price in the next few weeks (it's Capcom, afterall), I'm VERY pleased with this purchase.

EDIT: Well, not word for word per say...I used to eat, sleep and breathe Mega Man II. >_>

14. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    You're right, the game is not so good and it's too expensive. Capcom games on ios are ridicoulus, only Street Fighter Volt is good!

15. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    Slide2Play gave this game a 2 out of 4

"As a stand-alone platforming action game for the iPhone, Mega Man X isn’t bad, but it falls well short of the standard set by the original nearly two decades ago."

that's pretty much how i feel with this game...

16. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Capcom must develop games on home consolle not Ios! It's pathetic!
    One word for Capcom: Retrogames and... stop!

17. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    One of the few games that looks better in screenshots than in motion...

18. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    Hammer Time! :D

...sorry, couldn't resist XD

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    [​IMG]

That's right, Mega Man X is a candidate for TouchArcade's Game of the Week!

If you want it to make the cut, nominate it for voting in this thread.
    :cool:

Note: This poll is for existing TouchArcade members only. Developers may not nominate/vote for their own games, nor bring outsiders in to vote.

20. MJY8

MJY8 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011