Universal Meganoid 2017 (by Orangepixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Why no ratings?

2. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

first, thanks for the insta-buy. If you just played once, please give it a bunch more tries ;) there's a lot more in this game then you'll find or see on your first 10+ playthroughs.

It's fairly rare to be stuck in a situation that you can't get out, detonators often help you in those area's, but you'll run into enough items to increase your chances. Exploration isn't mindless running into situations. Also not all places are reachable at all times, simply because you might need a double-jump, or a portable-elevator or jetpack to reach it, etc. there's a lot here! :)

3. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Thanks Pascal, and congrats on the launch! I actually bought it even before I received the launch email :)

I plan to play more times, of course! I wasn't suggesting I didn't want to play more - just wanted to give an initial play and comment before I came to work. I'll only be able to play later, but yes, I'll keep playing for sure:)

What's the victory condition on this Meganoid?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. orangepascal

with victory-condition you mean end-goal? There's an end-boss in world 4-3 !
    Defeat it, and you'll get a perma-unlocked item for your future games. There are about 8-10 perma-unlockables to unlock (shown on your title-screen once unlocked).

Not many people completed it yet tho, a handful of early-access players (that excludes me), world 2 and 3 are a real pain at times :p

There are also a few alternate routes to find/explore, and of course unlocking all items in the database is another thing to aim for!

5. theboxhead

theboxhead Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Does this game have cloud saves or sync between devices?

6. orangepascal

no :(

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

I was referring to the 4-3 end boss, then - what is considered success in the game.

Great! Looking forward to diving more into it. Does have a Spelunky vibe to it!

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #28 syntheticvoid, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    AHHHHHHH!!!

If there's one thing that can pull me back to these forums, it's an OrangePixel game! So glad this is out!!!

I've been playing it for about an hour, and... Loving it.
    Meganoid was the first speed run platformer I had ever experienced. I still have an old 2nd gen with iOS 4 or 5 that still has it installed laying around somewhere. One of a handful of older games that I kept the device for. =oP

Anyway...
    THIS... This is frick'n OUT. STAND. ING.
    I'm totally digging the slower pace and randomn levels. Enemy interaction and weapons/level destruction is awesome... And the upgrades/gems/card system is a great addition. And climbing!! AHHHH... Makes the platforming so very satisfying.
    So glad this series was revisited.

I haven't gotten too far yet... But... So far I am incredibly impressed and excited to spend more time with it!

Woooooo yeah!!

Congrats on the release!! =oD

9. Boyen

Boyen Active Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Been playing this beta on android, awesome game, one of the first platformers on mobile that really clicks for me.

Some nitpicky points:
    Once I got killed by a sentry after I killed the boss, not expecting any enemies at that point.
    I have spawned in locations where you can not get out of, it does happen quite a bit.
    For me it seems like the electiricity speed upgrade (downgrade) is a requirement to take, they just move too damn fast otherwise.
    Still think the jetpack is overpowered.
    If you jump on a small critter while there's another enemy below in the same space it usually leads to losing a life, which sucks.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Was never the biggest Meganoid fan back in the day so didn't follow the development as closely as I would with other orangepixel games... but seeing all the items and unlockables has made me change my mind for the better!

11. orangepascal

- there's already an update on it's way (1.2) which fixes the sentries in (mini)boss levels
    - if you can make a screenshot of an unescapable spawn-location that would be great
    - jetpack is also getting a small change in v1.2 to make it less powerful (altho flying that damn thing smoothly takes some skill)
    - know about the critter/alien bug, have another fix for that in v1.2 but it's not 100% fixed yet (still some rare cases)

didn't push 1.2 on release because of fear that Apple rejected it or wouldn't approve it in time ;) full list of changes in v1.2 can be found on the Meganoid support forums.

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

I also just spawned in an unescapable location. Ended up using a detonator which killed me. :(

[​IMG]

13. orangepascal

ah that one.. okay well one little trick I like to call "detonator-jumping" might save you here. You can actually jump on-top of a detonator before it blows, and that way reach higher spots.

will see if I can make that one not happen in future update tho

14. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Please say you are renaming the app, really can't deal with how ugly it looks "Meganoid(...". Just Meganoid PLEASE!!!

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

I see... It's good that there are advanced techniques, but I still feel that advanced techniques should be an extra advantage, not a requirement to complete the game. :)

Unless you want to cover them in the tutorial.

16. orangepascal

oh right.. people go crazy on app-names.. I'll try to change it in update after 1.2 :) (since that one is already coming if all goes to plan)

17. thesinmaster

thesinmaster Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    What I'm mostly interested in is how are touch controls or how playable it is using iphone itself, as I do not like the idea of using gadgets with my phone like mfi controller

18. orangepascal

controls are fully positionable and scalable in 3 sizes (small, normal, big) depending on phone/tablet/finger sizes ;)

19. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    All in all an average metroid like game with randomized levels. Its good to play in short bursts. A game will last between 1 to 20 minutes. But its not a milestone.

What i dislike are the controls on touchscreen. They are not responsiv enough and sometimes my character runs in the oposite direction of the button that i press. I really wish more developers start to use the Tallowmere control solution for a platformer. Its just so on point.

Also the random level design is not the best. Most of the times you will die because of laser or turrets that are out of your view on the screen. You have no chance to react, cause you didnt see it coming.

20. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    we sure do, and thanks so much!