Universal METAL SLUG 3 - (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 11, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Meh... My friends are all console gamers... Willing to spend $50-$60 a game, but not more than $0.99 in the AppStore... Because of it, they've got the view that the iDevice is a glorified flash game platform, and that drives their unwillingness to spend more than a buck... Then every time I show them something like this, they complain about virtual controlls, abandonware, price lowering, IAPs, and so on... It's a crappy cycle... Hate it. They call me a Facebook Gamer. =oP

2. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    How does the continue system work? Metal Slug games have always been so hard, do you get infinite continues, or can you start from the highest level you reached when you die? Or do you have to beat the entire game from the start with like 5 continues to see it all?

3. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    There is an arcade and mission mode. In the arcade mode, you have like 3 continues? And if you die, you have to start from the beginning. In the mission mode, you can play any mission regardless of order.

4. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Give in to your urge. Pay full price for this game and have a blast!

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Mission let's you choose what stage you start from,so long as you've reached it in arcade mode**

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    While I completely agree with you in general as far as the people unwilling to spend more than a buck or two on the App Store (I'm not one of them), this is one game that IMO is a bit overpriced.

My kids have a Wii and one of my first purchases was the Metal Slug Anthology, which you can play with a classic controller so none of that motion crap, and it includes 7 Metal Slug games including this one. I believe I got it on sale for $10.

I admit that now a days I do play my iPhone WAY more than my console games.

Would be nice to have it on the go. Just sayin' I'd rather put my money on original iOS apps.

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damn, didn't know it was that cheap! Gonna have to check it out... My kids don't use their Wii anymore, and its looking like more and more great games I'd like to check out are being released, or have been... =oP

8. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Funny, it let me play final mission even though I have completed 2 missions:rolleyes:

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Well that sucks... I've only made it to mission 4 in arcade mode, and couldn't play 2, 3 or 4 until I reached them, and stage 5 is still locked. =o/

Oh well..

10. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Wow. This is so much fun on the ICade. This is the kind of game that I would hope would come to ICade. Thanks, SNK! Hopefully we get more Neo Geo era games. They would be insta buys for me.

11. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    the game kicks my ass, was probably expensive pleasure to play in on arcades. but anyway good game, just maybe boss fights could be not that long and boring.

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I love the boss fights... and they really only take a while if you don't have a special gun or vehicle... oO

'least I think so...

13. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    yeah, ok first boss is quite easy and fast with vehicle, but how can you get to the second boss with enough ammo and special gun? u get rockets close to the boss fight, then you have to deal with quite a lot of enemies and you get new drops only when you deal with the first part of the fight. and even then with H drop the second part of the fight is too long in my opinion. can not comment on next boss fights. :rolleyes:

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    the second boss fight... I usually use grenades to take out the aliens, and then use the rockets to take out the base... then the Heavy gun to finish it off.

15. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well full stock of grenades is not enough? also how you keep your rockets, there are some enemies on the way to the boss fight?

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    there'e enough grenades to take out all but 1 or 2 of the aliens... and you can jump over/dodge just about all of the enemies (especially those diving ones) after that bomb dropping copter that you get the rockets from...

17. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Oh no. That's almost a deal breaker. I've always found these games awesome but so hard and with 3 continues I won't ever see the later stages.

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    if you play on easy or normal, you get 5 continues...

And... I just realized that you can start on the last stage that you made it to in Arcade Mode in Mission Mode, and if you complete it, it unlocks the next level in Mission mode... so you can pretty much have 5 continues for each stage while you're learning the game.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    They cant win though ! If it was too easy and you could start any level people would moan its a waste of money (specially at this price).

Need a bit of 'old skool' playing where you just have to keep trying over and over like you used to (no save games back in the early days !)

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    agreed...

the hardcore aspect is falling away from games these days...