Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah.... yeah I do... :eek:

Oh yeah! I forgot I listened to those yesterday. Magic Kingdom I've heard before, and it was pretty awesome as usual. Brimstone, was pretty good too. Not memorable, but good in general. Demoniac however, was pretty good. It was essentially DragonForce with (imo) much better vox. hahahaha. Also, the music actually felt like it had some kind of substance to it I guess. Didn't feel like one long 8 minute solo like DragonForce's later albums. Oh and yeah, I know it's a few dudes from DragonForce. lol.

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Pretty much the same impressions here, except I like Brimstone more than Demoniac. :x

Listen to that song in my previous post?:>

Also, ambientish:

3. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    :rolleyes: Told you I didn't like avant-garde that much! I do believe I can enjoy a few songs off the album though.

I lol'ed so hard at your explanation that my parents actually called an ambulance to supply me with oxygen tanks.
    No, the second part didn't happen. :D
    -----------------------------------
    @Balu`
    Did you listen to the Royal Hunt song I posted?

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    @I did, both now and when the album came out. :> It's a nice song, and so is the album, but I prefer their albums with John West as a singer.
    Also, check out the band Seventh Wonder, especially the album Mercy Falls. It's catchy, melodic progressive metal.

5. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Off topic:
    Who's kijib?

And what's that Welcome to Die thread about?
    -------------------------
    On topic:

@Booch: Nancial?

6. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #4946 gunxsword, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
    Emergency recommendations:
    @Booch
    Descending - New Death Celebrity

Sounds like new In Flames but... BETTER!!!

@Balu`
    Thence - these stones cry from the earth
    Atmospheric Prog meta!? This is a whole album/song lasting 57:10 minutes long.

I'm not sure what my expectations were, but this is one heck of an album/song that even I would dig. Highly melodic in many ways (except melodeath guitar riffs), great vocals, interesting pacing and good instrument performance.

Of course, I would be lying if I said I enjoyed the whole album. The slower, more atmospheric sections (which you would enjoy) bore me to bits compared to the busier sections.

7. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Being a big fan of symphonic metal, was searching for something i havnt heared today and found amaranthe (band, not nightwish song) after watching their music vid hunger, I bought their album and imo, it's really good

8. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Welcome to the thread! Balu` and I like symphonic. Balu`s probably heard of the album (always assume that he has :rolleyes:) so thank you for the info :D.

Wow the female vocal sounds male-ish. Nice mix of melodeath too! <- my favorite genre.

Btw please capitalize nouns as appropriate. It'll make things easier to read ;).

*Edit: subscribe to the thread with instant email alerts :D

9. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Soooo drunk right now. Thank OD for auto correct

10. Danielfang7

Danielfang7 Well-Known Member

i doubt there is much mainstream metal

11. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Contrary to popularly belief, there's quite abit of metal that could be considered "mainstream" depending on who your "demographic" is. For instance, I've beenweitin this post or like 30inites not and I can't answer than.

12. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Avenged Sevenfold (as much as Booch dislikes their name).
    Perhaps Disturbed as well?

***My keyboard isssscrewin up
    ^
    Just gave you an example.

13. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I downloaded that yesterday, after seeing your post. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but it seems really good. Especially the mellower parts. :x

Welcome here! :>
    Now, don't take this the wrong was, but I really dislike Amaranthe - it's pretty much the metal version of any regular popband in my eyes.

And yeah, there's a shitload of mainstream metal out there.

14. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    I see what u mean balu, I couldn't help think that they are a metal version of n-dubs, but I like it :)

15. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Haha, I didn't say it isn't fun music, I'm just not a big fan of their style. :)

By the way, what symphonic metal bands do you like? I might have some recommendations for you there. :>

16. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    I like most types of metal. Here is a list of some bands on my ipad.

Within temptation, epica, after forever, visions of Atlantis. Xandria, charon, terasbetoni, tristania. Edenbridge, the pretty reckless, Sirenia, volbeat, nightwish, sonata arctica, bullet for my valentine. Midnattsol, scar symmetry, three days grace, children of bodom...

I'm always on the lookout to listen to new bands. Trying to decide whether to goto a music festival in Sweden or Belgium this yr

17. TobiasP

TobiasP Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Online Editor @ Fishlabs
    Hamburg / Germany
    Listening to Circle II Circle's "Delusions of Grandeur" at the moment... Zak Steven's probably my fave singer of all time and I could listen to his voice all day. Seeing him perform an entire set of Savatage classics on stage last year was a dream come true! :)

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Ah, there are some amongst those that I like too. :>
    I see you're not that familiar with the less mainstream sympho metal. I think you might like Therion, at least some of their work.
    Something relatively easily digestable:

Zak really is a good singer, and I think I like Circle II Circle a bit more that Savatage. Their music is just a little further away from the traditional metal sound...

19. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Just asking... is it un-metal to enjoy the seductive catchiness of Blood Stain Child's Epsilon!?

20. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I don't really believe, that things can be metal or un-metal, but it is weird. :Đ