Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Oh snap! I'm listening and enjoying DT now!!!

Tweaked my EQ a bit and now the lead guitar melodies are more prominent.

Ya they sound different from 'the' melodeath I'm used to... their melodies sound like... a string of notes I guess. Not the instantly catchy Insomnium or In Flames type.

Guess it is a good idea for me to listen to some tech death bands then come back to DT.

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    DT is a perfect prog gateway band, glad you enjoy it. :>
    Also, for you iPod, use the EQ setting Treble Booster.

3. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ah ok... prog... Can you recommend me some album similar to Ivory Tower?

I don't use the iPod app much... See the music player in my sig? I use that. It's awesome.

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #4964 Booch138, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

hahahaaha

@Balu` Judging from his descriptions in the statements about 'DT', I am going to assume he meant "Dark Tranquility" not "Devin Townsend" or even "Dream Theater". But I could be wrong. hahahaah.

Also, I heavily second the "Use the Treble Boost EQ for iPods". Nothing sounds that good in comparison in all honesty. It has the perfect blend of sounds that I need, not quite the way I would make it if I had the ability to alter my own EQs, but it's close enough, considering I can't do that at all. Even if JailBroken.

Edit: My god they have an app that can allow you to change your EQs. About god damn time. hahahaahah. Thanks for the signature recommendation gunxsword!

Edit 2: Speaking of good Tech Death:

5. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Did I not make it... clear enough :confused:. The Insomnium and In Flames reference should've been enough right? :confused:

Ah actually, I would advise against the use of Treble Boost EQ for iPods. Take a look at its EQ arrangement in iTunes and you'll see that it basically lifts the 2k-16k dials up and tones down the lower frequencies.
    This gives songs a very, 'empty' sound as the higher frequency sounds are boosted (high guitars eg. DT, and cymbals/hi-hat etc) and most other or diminished.

I would go Flat all the way, which doesn't mess with the EQ at all. Songs sound 'fuller' with all instruments being close to the same volume. Middle range sounds such as symphonic instruments are not diminished (as in Treble Booster) and the bass gets an extra oomph.

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Well, I managed to make understand it in a way that could easily refer to Dream Theater, the most obvious DT of all, and it's pretty much true for that. F*ck abbreviations. >.<

I guess I'll have to check that app out, though the iPod one works pretty fine for me. Does the control on headphones work with that one?

ONLY for Booch:

@later gunxsword post: Nah, not for a tiring day like this. :Đ And the thing is, that I just saw it as you comparing it to your usual metal bands. And all that stuff if true for the DT I meant. >.<

7. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Do you never read sigs? That could explain why you never found a similar app since all the time I've been here... (with the sig ofc) :eek:

Yup listened and digging those (what's left of my 'filtering') that I like (or didn't delete). :rolleyes:
    @_@

Same response as to Booch.
    Yup it does have head/earphone control (after I sent an email to them XD). If it works with iPod then it'll work with this app.

Warning though, you cannot scrub with this app, and it's a memory hog. This app will probably lag every other app you try to run when it's playing music.

<_<

8. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Yup, pretty much never. They rarely contain anything useful. :x
    I might check that out. I got an amazing pair of earphones for Christmas with a remote on it, so I wouldn't want to miss out on using that. :x

Hmm, I still might try it, but the memory hog description isn't something that makes me want to hurry. :Đ

9. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    hahaha no way dude. I use these when I am not using these to listen to my music. No matter WHAT EQ setting I have it on, no element of music or frequency is missing at all. Going flat to me is extremely uninspiring, the music has no life what-so-ever. No matter what it is. For me, when I play guitar, I typically go for my highs to be at about, if not at, 10 (depending on what kind of amp I am using obviously), with the mids about 2-3 and the lows at about 6-8. This keeps for, obviously, the highs to stand out and have effect lead sounds over the rest of the bunch, while effectively having enough body of bass to make itself prominent. I cut mids very low because, well I had mids, they have a very low droning noise that, which certain effects can be useful with it, it's not for me.

On iTunes, this is what I have my equalizer set to, since I only listen to music from my Computer when I am at work, I have used basic builds and tweaked it a little to my liking.

[​IMG]

It works for me just fine honestly, everything sounds like a dream.

I realize I probably sound very elitist with my sound choices. That's because I am. lol. I am very very picky when it comes to my sounds. *giggles*

Edit: I just wish iPods had the same customization EQ feature that iTunes itself has. *sighs*

10. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    @Booch:
    Since when are you using those Sennheisers? I recall you having a higher-end pair a few months ago. :x
    Oh, and I posted a song for you, I'm really interested what you think.

11. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Had to downgrade after my son threw my Dre's in the toilet >.<

Remarkably though, they sound pretty god damn good still.

12. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Ouch. :ĐĐ

I must hear one of those sometime. Still, right now I'm extremely satisfied with these.

Also, don't you think the Sennheiser is a little too bass-heavy?

13. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Woot! Same here (white version) :D

14. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    @Booch how can you have one EQ for everything? (not to mention it's name fabulous!?)
    [​IMG]

15. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #4975 Booch138, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    Yeah tell me about it >.< I retaliated by throwing this in the sink:

[​IMG]

You have no idea how satisfying that was.

(nah I'm kidding I would never do that... on purpose :eek:)

Those are f*cking hawt. Like really bad.

Sennheisers are pretty bass heavy, which is why I have to make up for it with high treble equalizations. And not even that much, just a little more than normal. A little tweak to the equalization on the iTunes, or the Treble Boost in iPod works spectacularly. The Sennheisers were free from a friend when all I had was the stock Apple headphones. And honestly, I would rather teach a homeless man all my songs I wanted to hear and have him sing them to me than listen to the Apple headphones.

Edit:

Easy, I just don't have the time anymore. If it was up to me I would have an EQ setting for every f*cking song I own, but I am too lazy for that. lol. And it's name comes from it's truth. It's just Fabulous. lol

16. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Yay! You're the only other person I know with this model. :x
    Haha, but now I must ask - have you done that accidentally?

Yeah, they sound amazing too! There's no way in hell I'd have bought this for myself, though. :x

Apple headphones are decent, no matter what you say. :x Seriously, I wish my pair still worked, I couldn't ask for better headphones for falling asleep.

Also, go listen to that song. :<

17. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Yup true that. The Klipsch ones protrude out of my ears so I can't comfortably lie on my side. >.<

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Yep, that's their main problem. :D Even the Apple ones were a little too big, maybe I should get some tiby speakers behind my bed... :x

19. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Or you can place the pillow under your neck so your head hangs off it. Not exactly a comfortable position but it can solve the problem nicely... :p

20. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah I avoid my headphone problems and sleeping with them, with just playing music through stereo speakers ^.^

Of course you guys (Balu` does, I dunno about you GxS) live your parents where this is probably frowned upon when played at comfortable and audible levels at night, where as I live with friends where it is pretty much the norm. hahahaha

@Balu` I will listen to that song momentarily.