Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Meh, I don't "get over" bands. Therion got me into metal and I listen listen to the regularly.

Everything exists if you want it to. But no, not really. That's pretty much just folk metal.

Glad you liked it! Go for The Winter Wake, Wyrd and Heathenreel. Also maybe The Sythe for some core influences.

I don't because your taste is pretty much unpredictable. >.<
    Have I posted some Falconer already?

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Well, every band/album (ok I'm lying. Solerrain is perfect) will undoubtedly have some weaker tracks. It is mainly those that I get rid of. If I'm not going to enjoy them (or more like enjoy them as much as I enjoy the more enjoyable ones) than there's no point in keeping them.

Eh no... that sounds like rule 34... ... ...

That's pretty much everything...

Unpredictable!? Here's the music-that-appeals-to-me formula:
    Fast-ish melody (riff/solo) from any instrument + melodic hook (vocal/instrument) - melody repeated over 4 times without break = WIN.

Of course, exclude the slow stuff.

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Now that's something I understand even less. I hate having anything but complete albums. :X

Yeah, that's sort of what I thought, then you didn't even give Edguy a second thought, evem though they fit this PERFECTLY. ^^

Also, Falconer yes or no?

4. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I hate waste.

A bit slow and didn't quite appeal to me.

No.

5. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Albums, including ones with weaker songs, deserve to be listened as a whole at least sometimes, since that's the only way you get the full experience.

Check out their song 'Lavatorry Love Machine'. It's... fun.

Go for the song 'For Life and Liberty'. I'm interested what you'll think.

6. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    W/e. I don't find weak/unnecessary songs to be worth the time so I might as well ignore them altogether.
    I used to use playlists for that purpose, keeping even the worst songs. However, circumstances have changed and so have I.

Please Balu`, do NOT recommend me any more of this type of music!
    You can hate metalcore as much as like, bash MDM as hard as you can, or even vile tech death like it's nothing spectacular, but do NOT give me this type of music!

I truly believe songs that focus on catchy lines and heart warming themes (love, drugs, sex etc.) is the cause for poor music. The song's instruments aren't worth a damn, the vocals annoying, and the hair-pulling song title line is downright offensive.

I'll stop criticizing this song now... Can we still be friends?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For Life and Liberty"

Incredible song. This is one of the best songs you've recommended to me (the other being Inis Mona).

Which albums am I getting? I'll take 'all' as an answer.

7. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Haha, I never used playlists. Anyway, do whatever you want, I'm not one to tell you how to sort your music. ^^

Sorry man, but I won't. You just gotta stop taking music so damn seriously. Edguy is one of the very few metal bands that I can call fun without a trace of irony. Yeah, the simplistic song structure might annoy you, so might the lyrics, but the vocals? Tobi is an amazing singer. His other project might prove that to you. (And do listen to it, cause musically the only similarity is that both are based of power metal, but this will have a much.. larger, epic sound.)

O well, YAY! Go for Chapters of a Vale Forlorn the first, it's one of my favorite power metal albums, other good ones are their self-titled, Northwind, Among Beggars and Thieves, and if you don't mind foreign (Swedish) lyrics, Armod. Armod also has some blast beats, a rare thing in power metal.

8. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Yes his vocal is diverse and hits the high notes well, but inmo he used them to rub me the wrong way :(.

Not bad, but not exactly the style of song that I would listen to. Great vocal performance, esp during the chorus.
    I would've loved the song if the whole thing was played at the speed of the choruses.
    Another problem is, I know that there's certain elements of the song that I dig, but for some biological/psychological/musical reason, I cannot bring myself to enjoy it enough to warrant it on my device.
    I don't know what's wrong with me :eek:

So... everything besides Scepter of Deception and Grime vs Grandeur?

Btw FYI I don't mind lyrics at all. I have trouble deciphering them to begin with so I focus more on the cadence than content :D

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Haha, glad you at least like his vocals on this track. I'll give you another track from Avantasia, if you don't like it, I'll stop bothering you with them... for now. >.< It also has a vocal performence by one of the best current heavy/power metal singers - Jörn Lande.

Yeah, they had a different, pretty generic singer on those and tuned down the folk influence. They pretty much suck compared to their ones with Mathias Blad.

Good to hear. I wasn't sure how hard it is to ignore the lyrics for native speakers. It's pretty easy for me when it comes to English lyrics, but with Hungarian ones, I find it pretty hard to tolerate badly written stuff.

10. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    You know what? I actually like this song.
    Sigh... more recommendations from you *cringe*

I have no problem understand speech, even with strong accents, but I lack the ability to decipher lyrics.
    I can recognize the syllables but often not the word.

11. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    YAAAY! Not so yay that you aren't excited about further recommendations. >.<
    Maybe this? Also, Michael Kiske is an amazing singer..

12. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    So I take that you're willing to spare me? :p

hm...
    Hm...
    Mmmmmmm...
    Grabbing it now. I don't like the long and somewhat uninteresting solo though.

Don't like the vocals :eek:

13. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Maaybeee... We'll see. :x

Haha. FINALLY! I broke your defenses down.

Mmm, you'll get there. Plus if you don't, their early albums had Kiske on vocals. ^^
    I'll stop bombarding you with recommendations for the day, though.

14. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    NOOOOOO! I just opened a flood gate to boring metal :D

I'm going nowhere!

Agreed.

15. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Boring metal? Awesome metal. Ask Booch on monday, he'll totally agree with me. :x

Have you listened to Ayreon - The Human Equation yet?

16. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    >.>

I either did and didn't like it or didn't bother.

17. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Seriously? You don't even remember?
    I can't let this one go. It's one of the most amazing (prog)metal album with a pretty good concept and strong songwriting. Go listen to the WHOLE thing at least once. Seriouly, no more recommendations for today, but there's no way I'll stop bothering you with this. >.<

18. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    ... Is this the 1:4x:xx something album?

(If it is... ... ... I didn't like it that much :rolleyes:)

19. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    It's about that long, yeah.
    But WHY? :<

20. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Because it is PROG! :D