Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    The first three bands and Haggard were good but the rest didn't appeal to me...

Anyway, I ask for album recommendations:

Savage Circus
    Rebellion
    Lyriel
    At Vance
    Power Quest
    Haggard

I'll be on the lookout for more gothic metal... now if you would excuse me:

Just sayin, very rarely, even I would enjoy a slow tempo song or two :rolleyes:

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    You don't like The Gathering? Unforgivable, inexcusable, and lots of other adjevtives I'm too tired to think of.

Savage Circus: They only have two, go for both Dreamland Manor and Of Doom and Death
    Rebellion: Miklagard for starters
    Lyriel: Paranoid Circus
    At Vance: I'd try Ride the Sky
    Power Quest: Master of Illusion
    Haggard: Eppur Si Muove or Awaking The Centuries

Then... (yes, Epica again. I won't give up!)

3. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Oh well... did you actually expect me to like it? :confused: And plz believe me when I say I tried to like it... I tried... so hard.

-_-
    THE LULL!!! My attention span is too short or my mind moves too fast for the slow pacing of the music to be of any interest to me.
    The second half of the song did sound ok though.
    -----------------------

This song is irresistibly cheeeeeeeeeeeeesy and thrashy:

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Actually, sort of, yeah. Mandylion is the best gothic metal album I know.

You specifically asked for a slow song. >.<
    Anyway, a fast-moving mind is no excuse. Mine is like that too, still, at least 30% of my mzsic is slow, some of it extremely (think ambient/drone).

I'll listen to this stuff tomorrow, it's almost sleepin' time for me.

5. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #5325 gunxsword, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    depressed by this song:

Pretty good throughout. BUT! The imo the whole song is ruined, sullied, and wrecked by the single most horrible line of lyrics in the chorus.

"I will carry on to do what I must do"
    Sounds more abhorrent than anything I've ever heard. :(
    ------------------------
    On a more positive note, the rest of the album is close to being another folk metal (sounds more like rock though) masterpiece.

6. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Holy shit it's been a long time since I've been here o__o

But either way, I honestly don't know how much my tastes fit here nowadays... I'm still into really heavy shit, but I've mostly been listening to -core genres lately, especially metalcore and deathcore.

7. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    We've missed you! >.<
    Not sure about that either, but gunxsword is another -core fan, so there's a chance you two will get along. :>

What have you been up to lately, by the way?

@gunxsword: That line is pretty generic, but I can tolerate it. I've heard worse. ^^ Oh and that Warrel Dane song was pretty good, I wouldn't call the vocals fantastic, though.

8. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    CONFETTI!!! :D
    I'm allergic to generic lines. Like, I cringe at the sound of them.

Warrel Dane's vocal is quite amazing in terms of thrash metal. Ofc it's pretty, normal I guess when compared to power.

@Balu'
    Gothic or power? (you might have to put up with this for a while, until I can hear the difference between gothic and power -_-')

@somerandomdude
    Mind sharing some quality non-mainstream metalcore bands? It might be just me but good stuff in the genre has been increasingly hard to find.
    (it doesn't help that the majority of the genre is organic or mediocre, or both)

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Unique and poetic lyrics have never been too common in metal. ^^

Maybe, but yeah, power metal has lots of amazing singers. We probably wouldn't agree about who they are, though. :D

No problem, it's actually a pretty fun game. >.<
    Anyway, power, but the question was warranted they time, this is pretty borderline stuff.

10. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    "The promise of never/was my oath forever
    I know, I hope, and pray you've had your fill"
    - Arsis, Lust Before the Maggot's Conquest :D

I can't agree more. May I add that MDM also has a lot of amazing singers?

Tell me how to differentiate between the two? It'll help me, a LOT! :eek:

*Begin rant*
    I know you're not into aggressive MDM, but this song is a HELL of a ride and the best I've heard in weeks:

*End rant*

11. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    True, there are some good lyricists out there in metal (my favorite is Devon Graves from Psychotic Waltz and Deadsoul Tribe, seriously, check out Why? By the latter).

You may, but you'd risk becoming utterly ridiculous in my eyes. ^^

It's hard to describe, but I'll give it a shot. The atmosphere is very important. Straight up PM is NEVER trying to be sad or melancholic (well, almost never anyway), while gothic tends to aim for that most of the time. PM also mostly has faster riffing, double-bass drums are common an usually simplistic basslines. More to come if not enough.

I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm a few minutes before sleeping and post-rock is amazing at this time.

12. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    CRINGE!
    "Why don't you let it go" :(
    The rest of the song's lyrics (and music) are great. But my hyper-sensitivity to banal lines amplifies the banality of that line beyond being merely 'bad' per se.
    I would still like to emphasize that the rest of the lyrics are good...

Allegaeon, Arsis, Callenish Circle and Hypocrisy vocalists are great MDM vocalists IMO :D

13. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Did i misread this or were you asking if that song is Gothic or Power metal? Because it's not even close to either. The only likeness is the style of female vocals which is pretty commonly used in female-fronted gothic metal. I'd call that song Hard Rock at best.

Gothic is generally opera/choir vocals with orchestral instruments backing a melancholic metal tone. Lyrics usually have biblical or classical themes.

This is Gothic/Doom so it's as slow paced as gothic metal will get, but it's an awesome song.

14. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Silent Night is NOT power! You've surely heard of melodic death metal right?

Just sayin, early CoB is great but their more recent works are absolute junk.

I can't stand doom metal -_-

I have no idea why but melancholy is a lost emotion to me. Perhaps it's because I'm a pessimist? Or my brain is hardwired to register melancholic gothic music as an extension of epic power metal?

In my definition, I would call that doom goth song you posted as 'mid-slow tempo song with a grand soundscape'. Seriously, I would refer to the song being 'majestic' before being 'melancholic'.

Great song btw :D.

15. LiamAtDevour

Feb 1, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Wut?! I don't get how so many people think of bodom as MDM. Their signature style that has made them so ridiculously popular (for a metal band) is based off huge guitar and keyboard solos. The only song I can think of off the top of my head which is mostly melodic is Angels Don't Kill.

Amon Amarth is a truly melodic DM band. People need to listen to them next to Bodom and see just how ridiculously different the two genres are.

Check out 3:58, that's a real melody.

I love both genres, but I would be fairly disgruntled if someone re-genre'd all of my CoB to MDM.

edit: Although it's funny that you say melancholy is a lost emotion to you because you're a pessimist. I'm very optimistic and the majority of my favourite music is melancholic lol.

16. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I said Silent Night and CoB's earlier stuff are MDM, because they have amazing guitar shreds and dual melodies. Never heard their earlier stuff and never will.

AA is imo a staple of viking themed MDM. Nothing more. Mid-tempo affair that fails to excite for the most part.

Plus, MDM itself is not a very diverse genre, but there are some variations in the playing style.

Some MDM styles:
    Arsis - Maddening Disdain (MDM/slightly techy)

17. LiamAtDevour

Feb 1, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia.
    #5337 LiamAtDevour, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    I'm a big fan of In Flames, haven't listened to the other ones though. You're right about it being such a broad genre. And technically, a melody is just a series of notes, so any death metal could technically be classified as melodic.

I prefer slow-ish melodies because they're more capable of being emotive, whereas faster melodic death metal is more technical impressiveness. Time and a place for both in my itunes library :)

(edited this post later cause I ran off mid-post cause i had stuff on the oven burning lol)

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    @Liam: How the hell is that song posted earlier by gunxsword NOT close to power metal?>.< I know the riffing is slower, but that could easily be the influence of gothic (yes, gothic, the piano lines make it obvious) metal in there.

Also, these differentiating methods can fail anyway. Like, as far as atmosphere goes, Type O Negative is far from melancholic, yet it is doom/gothic.

19. LiamAtDevour

Feb 1, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia.
    #5339 LiamAtDevour, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    Well for a start Power Metal is fast. That's essentially it's core feature.

Why do you think it's power metal? I can't hear any feature of power metal in there at all.

edit: Also, should mention, that I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. I'm just used to my own definitions which I use in my itunes library and a lot of those are based off assumptions about what classifies a genre :p All sub-genres are super vague.

20. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    LOL HAI GUYZ

Wanted to stop by and drop the phat new beat I recorded last night. Finally got my laptop back, and Pro Tools running just fine again. This is a brutally rough recording, but you get the gist. It will pretty much just be harsh vocals, coming later this week, along with keys, and bass. Let me know what you guys think (other than "Booch really sucks at the guitar...") :rolleyes: