iPad Meteor Blitz by Alley Labs (v1.6 - Retina Display)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Veratek, Sep 16, 2009.

1. nsolo1717

nsolo1717 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    sorry arn, took your spot at second place, but i'm sure someone or you will beat it soon enough.....excellent game, fun times

2. Alley Labs

Alley Labs Well-Known Member

3. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    I know I haven't been as active recently, but what about "Saucelifter" to skamando?

Lol jk.

Oh, and totally picking this up soon.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks to arn I got to pick this game up!

#3 on the leaderboards on my first playthrough!

This is SUCH a good game!

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    in going through arcade mode. the weapon differenes don't seem dramatic. in that I find the green handles everything pretty well.

anyone else notice that?

arn

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    #1 on the Arcade leaderboards!

I almost hit 600,000 I was so so close :(

But yeah, it seems to follow SSHD in that some weapons are more effective but if you are using the basic weapon on full power it general goes through everything.

I prefer this in Meteor Blitz because it means less weapon switching and keeps the game fast and fun.

I did notice a bug though (didn't see it mentioned) the highscores start ABOVE the visible area so the top two scores are hidden :(

7. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    AahH, this game is fantastic!

8. Alley Labs

#108 Alley Labs, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Hey Vegant, we can't seem to reproduce that bug over here. Have you tried dragging up and down to scroll through the high scores?

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've only played the game twice so I have only 2 Local scores.

But when in the local arcade table it looks empty. Dragging down shows my two scores but when I let go the table springs back to the original position and looks empty.

On the Global Leaderboard the scores start on 3. Dragging down shows the two top scores and letting go lets it spring back.

Though I haven't played survival yet it does the same thing with the global scores for that mode.

I'm on an iPhone 3GS with 3.1. (and yes I restarted before playing ;))

10. Alley Labs

Wow, that's weird. Thanks for the detailed feedback. We'll see if we can find and fix it in the next update. BTW, 600,000 points the 2nd time you've played is pretty impressive!

11. skamando

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Great great game. So much fun.

I'm 25 on the leaderboards. I was always pretty bad at SSHD, so this makes sense. I'll get some practice in and see what's up.

Also, I think you should do a little work on the fire gun. It needs that sort of whiplike quality so you can do those awesome twirls like in SSHD.

12. Alley Labs

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Those twirls are amazing, but we haven't find a way to do them yet without severely killing the framerate. But we'll keep trying!

13. skamando

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    #113 skamando, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Understood. I just thought I'd make that point as they were one of my favorite parts of the SS games.

Fantastic game, anyways.

14. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEkĀ®
    washington
    The controls are so well done..combined with the open arena it gives a great sense of speed. When you start using the gravity gun and the ship's bursts it shows how action packed an iphone game can be. Hope Alley Labs gets a long long Featured listing for this.

15. Dense

Dense Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Played a few games of it. So far extremely impressed with it and it feel so similar to Super Stardust HD with a few differences. The changes though are still excellent and don't detract from the game at all (improve it actually).

I'm having a lot of problems boosting thru stuff. It feels really inaccurate. An onscreen button for boosting would be great and might help.

If there is one feature i'd like to see you guys pull off, that would be multiplayer. Wifi / 3G support would just be so intense. I always wanted to play Super Stardust on 2 seperate screens in multiplayer but it never supported it. Single screen never really worked on a rotating world. The iPhone could be the platform where it works and would certainly rocket this app to a must have for everyone (its still must have right now for shoot em up fans though).

Do you plan to keep updating this app or is it mostly complete for now other than bug fixes? Its certainly polished but I think there will be a hunger for improvements :)

16. skamando

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Multiplayer would be fantastic! That would be so much fun, and ridiculously intense.

Also, welcome to TA.

17. Alley Labs

We're working on wifi co-op multiplayer now =D It might take a bit of time though, wifi multiplayer has so far been pretty difficult stuff.

We're planning on updating this app for a while, and we're waiting to see how this first release goes to decide which features to add next.

18. Dense

Dense Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I am seriously impressed.

Please don't limit it to Wifi, don't forget the 3G users.

Just had my first decent game and completed the first world. I just love how responsive the controls are. Got a cool 99k.

One little thing missing. When you get an achievement how about some audible chime to go with it. I have been trained to get a happy feeling whenever I hear the xbox 360 achivement sound and unlocking achievements never feel as good without a happy sound to go with it :)

19. Alley Labs

Oh, there is a little "beep-beep" achievement sound in there. But maybe we should make it louder or a little brighter.

3G might be tough because we're developing from Vietnam, and 3G isn't out here yet. But then again, after we finish the wifi version, 3G might turn out to be really easy. Fingers crossed =D

20. Dense

Dense Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I didn't seem to hear the achievement but things were really intense at the time. Definitely make sure its as loud as possible.

Also one tiny thing missing. Can we rotate the screen in the other way? Sometimes my right hand blocks off the speaker and if I can rotate it (upside down) then the speaker is in the top left rather than bottom right. Also helps when using the headphones (which blocks my left hand).

I realise 3G is tough but just try and make the multiplayer code as generic as possible and use whatever network connection is available rather than specifically force wifi. If the performance doesn't work out there is nothing really lost.

I assume you'll need some form of server to help initiate the connections between clients (even if the actual game connection becomes peer to peer). A lobby system with friends support is a great way to build a front end to multiplayer.

You guys are definitely on the right track though. I hope financially this game pays off for your company. I have already recommended it to a friend and he has purchased it as well. Word of mouth will hopefully boost your sales drastically.