Metroid, Mega Man inspired game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by rozgo, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

:eek: i cant wait!
    which tuesday is it anyway?

2. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    wow, just see the frontpage story on toucharcade...the game looks GREAT!!
    BTW, how to get a beta tester? :) I would love to try this one out!

3. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Ha that be amazing. But I guess a few weeks wait shouldn't be too bad:cool:.

4. Breeze

Breeze Member

Oct 27, 2009
    metroid+megaman+physics+iPhone=Instant buy :)
    awesome work!

5. zombie

zombie Well-Known Member

I can only agree. This looks pretty awesome. I think there is a lack of really good jump-and-run games for the iPhone. This one looks fast paced and I like the physics element.

Looking forward to it.

Any words on how many levels/worlds?

6. #66 GHRocker08, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
    How much do plan on charging? Free? ;)

7. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

How about the guy who did Canabalt music. That guy is good and the music is half of the draw to that game IMO.

http://dbsoundworks.com/

PS. Love the look of the game!!!

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #68 spiffyone, Oct 27, 2009
    Just wanna chime in again:

This looks like it might indeed be that "fix" I'm needing:

a side scrolling action/adventure game in the vein of the Metroidvanias.

That said, one aspect does hinder my excitement:

the controls

It's known I'm not a fan of virtual dpads and buttons, but that's not my primary concern here.

Rather, my concern is the limitation imposed by have the "aim" stick and "move" stick be one and the same. The area of the gameplay vid you showed, where the player character is going up appearing "steps" and has to fire at those giant mosquito creatures troubles me a bit. I can see that navigating the steps and shooting seems...off...somehow. In order to shoot upwards you must constantly be in motion, afterall. So my fear is that such controls may cause players to inadvertently fall off of platforms or right into attacks (as I believe that part of the vid, as well as the "boss fight", showed). That would be quite frustrating.

Nintendo solved the issue by implementing the shoulder buttons in Super Metroid for diagonal aiming. You don't have such a luxury on this platform. Konami solved it by making attacks and movement totally separate from one another - in Castlevania games when you attack you cannot move at the same time, thus you're able to attack in diagonally without fear of falling off of platforms or running right into attacks. However in a game with shooting combat this may prove more confining than with hand weapon combat like in Castlevania.

Maybe this is one time where aping the controls of another game are in order.

If so, may I suggest perhaps looking at the controls implemented in Abuse Classic/Alien Abuse*.

Those games utilized dual circular pads, the left side a virtual dpad/joystick, with the right a "wheel" used for aim/shoot (ala Dropship, iDracula, etc.). Abuse Classic uses the dpad for jumps while Alien Abuse used a tiny separate jump button right above the aim/shoot "wheel". The Alien Abuse scheme avoids accidental jumps, and as you already have a jump button "all" you'd need to do is remove the shoot button and replace it with an aim/shoot wheel.

I think such a scheme might fit this game better, allowing for better aiming. As your game doesn't seem to have ammo limits for any of the weapons, letting off shots while aiming (as is the case with all the "wheel" shooters) shouldn't be a big deal.

So...think about it....

*(long story about copyright, but Alien Abuse was taken down and afterwards the licensed Abuse Classic went up on the store - but the rights issue is in question and controversial)

9. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Also, you MUST have screen orientation flip/toggle. Remember that iPod touch and iPhone have their respective headphone ports placed differently, so screen flip is necessary to maximize the comfort of ALL users.

I also wouldn't mind an opacity setting for the onscreen controls, especially if you go with the control idea I mentioned in my post above.

10. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Dang.. Must buy... How much is this supposed to be?

11. Chibi-Zed

Chibi-Zed Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    None
    In My House
    Game looks better than the real mega man already out
    any ideas on when it might be released or on the price

12. hackdirt

hackdirt Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Game Dev
    New Zealand
    Very impressed with this rozgo.

13. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, possible titles I've come up with (feel free to take 'em...though a small "thank you" in the credits would be nice :)):

Lunar Defender
    Lunar Defense

- you can substitute Moon for "Lunar" if you wish...although, tbqh, either way sounds like tower defense games. These, IMHO, are better:

Lunar Phase
    Dark Moon (I suggest NOT using Dark Side of the Moon. Rights issues)
    Critical Moon
    Lunadroid
    LunaDrone

14. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    #74 iphoneprogrammer, Oct 27, 2009
    Looks damn good!
    Some suggestions for names could be: Quantum, H4CK3D, H4CK, PRIM3, Primal Darkness, i got plenty more too...

15. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Ummm, I'm actually new to the forums and I think this is my first post. I only skimmed the thread so forgive me if anybody's said this already. I think the buttons would work better if there were just two pads. The first one would be for moving and jumping if you tilt it up (like in super smash bros. if anybody's played that) and the second one would be used to aim and activate the weapon (like in iDracula/Minigore). There could also be an option to use a separate button for jumping like there is now for those who don't like to use one pad for moving and jumping, but i think a separate pad for aiming is necessary.

Did anybody understand that? The game looks great and I'm definitely going to buy it. If you are in need of beta testers I'd do it immediately and give it a critical run down of gameplay, music, graphics, and glitches. Hope you take my button arangement suggestion into consideration.

16. Sixxes

Sixxes Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Man, this looks amazing. I can't wait for it to come out.

For your aimnig troubles, perhaps you could use tap to aim, like in Gang$tar, where you tap an enemy and it locks on? Just a suggestion.

Also, for a name, how about Shippou Moon? (Shippou = Silver in Japanese.)
    or
    Crescent Night (As in, the moon is sometimes seen as a crescent and when you think of outer space it is dark as night)
    Or Crescent Knight, because your a Knight dude on the moon.

17. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009

Well the controls work great for dinosmash.

18. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Oh, sorry I didn't see that post. But I still think it would be good if the movement wheel could be used for jumping too (like in super smash bros.) because it's sorta annoying to move the thumb back and forth and that way you can jump and shoot.

19. RobyOneKenoby

RobyOneKenoby Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Hi Rozgo,

well few suggestons , the first more important protect your game to behind hacked if not the same day that you come out the game will be hacked and all your efforts gone away in few seconds, we do use a very (comparing price VS quality) protection system named Anticrack and works well, it will be not the impossible protection and I don't know if it was cracked or not but until now my games were not cracked yet, post me a message if you need info , we are also publisher and we release a lot of games already.
    Second: name is very important so taking care of this, last but not least taking care a lot of game controls , maybe spent some days but give more than one alternative to controls your hero.
    Don't waste time making ads nobody will click it , set the right price for you , and let people speak about this I think it is a good game , if you want to sell throught us drop me a PM thanks a lot and good luck Roberto

20. Bronson15

Bronson15 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Hey I sent a PM about Beta Testing and haven't gotten a reply yet! Please tell us more! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!!!