Universal MicroVentures (by Micro Ventures)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by shero89, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Why are you trying so hard to support this game

2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #23 bigred447uk, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    Because its good fun and the point of the forum is to let other people read what you think about new releases.

This is US dev team I never heard of before. I'm from the UK personally. Plenty of people have rated it highly here as well as me.

You are in a minority it seems. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I always get behind games I like to spread the word so other people know this is worth their time.

It's a free full game with no monetization involved. There is really no need to be so cynical.

You could trace a link back to Kevin Bacon quicker with me than you could find one with these devs. I've been on this site since 2009 and other long term users will vouch for me that I do not make shill posts.

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #24 nightc1, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks for the info. It's always interesting when someone new comes on the scene and throws something out there for free. I guess once I give this some more time I'll post a review on the AppStore incase that's part of how these people get their grade or something.

Played a round of this last night. Overall it was pretty fun an experience and I like how small the overall first chapter ended up. Really I quite liked the game. I think this may be a good intro to the turn based rogue-like (that's the proper category right?).

Edit: I know it was mentioned this game had randomly generated events and stuff but watching Sanuku's video it's amazing how what I experienced was nothing like what he did. The entire scenario was different, the location was different, etc... I think the only thing it had in common was the main character was the same. I really like how the story continues even if you outright completely fail. Very cool little game.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    free game
    +no ads
    +no iap
    =
    people posting about liking it must be shills!!

brilliant logic

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yeah they all joined in 2009 and produced hundreds or thousands of posts just to build credibility so that when this came out no one would suspect them but dude cracked the case so good for him :p

Anyway, the game is decent if a bit rough around the edges. Definitely worth checking out at the current price if you have any interest.

6. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Plus, according to the dev... it's some project for a game development class or something. So... it's not like anyone really benefits from this. No money is exchanging hands... just people playing a game and finding it cool.

On my iphone I have pretty much everything I plan to keep on it in folders on the first page... this game has already cemented a spot over there. It's nice having something quick to play yet it has a certain amount of complexity in the items you collect and how secondary weapons work. The only issue I had was not being able to initially figure out how to make the item scroll show more than 2 items (iphone shows only 2)... but eventually after trying a second chapter, I realize it's just sliding the list up. I think it needs a little indicator or something to make that clear.

Definitely anyone wondering if this is worth their time, I think it is... but watch Sanuku's video if you need convincing. There's a lot of quirky charm in this game.

7. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Very good game. I love the randomly generated chapters and the short playing time to finish each level. And I would gladly pay for additional heroes, levels, settings or the level editor mentioned somewhere in their blog.

8. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    At the risk of encouraging the wrath of any doubters as to the legitamacy of my posts dare I comment on how good the music is in this game ?

After (many) further playthroughs I stand by my 5 star rating. This is simple but compulsive fun. Also they nailed the controls. It's fast paced but with no issues like getting stuck on scenery etc. you can tap round a corner and my little avatar works his way fluidly round any obstacles.

9. Semulak

Semulak New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I like the deversity of the playable characters, they are really cool! The general style of the game is natural as it should be. I want to have it!

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    How is this possible? This game is free, no ad's and no iap and yet it's a very cool randomly generated dungeon crawler!

11. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    It's some kind of college project for some devs who are trying to pass a course. See my earlier posts quoting the dev blog.

I reckon they pass with flying colours !

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well if that's right then they should pass, this is better than half the games I actually pay for on the App Store.

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    This is a neat little game. Is there any sort of progression? It would be cool if the items you recovered had an impact on your abilities.

14. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Not sure. Everything seems fresh from chapter to chapter. Some of the stories seem tied together thou that may be a coincidence.

Anyone have trouble accessing the rogue story line? I have only been able to play once as the rogue.

15. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    You can select the character for the next level by tapping at the the screen with the three heroes and the dice - if you tap the dice (selected by default) the character for the next chapter ist chosen randomly :)

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    There is a story arc involving retrieving letters for the bartender. On two occasions, the game has crashed loading the third level of that arc for me.

17. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    What I mean is the Rogue is there but grayed out and unselectable. I've played through 10 or so chapters and only once got to play as the rogue. Maybe I should go in the settings and reset the game data.

18. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Oddly, the Rogue started working again last night when I played the game some more. Really, I love this little game. Kudos to the folks behind it.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    There seems to be a bug with the three quests arc in Microventures. The first time I played it, it seemed to skip the ending at the end of the last quest...

This game really reminds me of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures for Windows 3.1, only Microventures' quests are actually fun to play through.