Universal Middle Manager of Justice - (by Double Fine Productions, Inc.) - Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Raiel

Raiel Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Picked this up, just this morning from the US store.

So far, it's charming and cute and rather fun. I'm definitely going to spend more time with it, and I've already chucked in some cash for the coin doubler.

In principle the game is a timer based thing, but it feels more like an older PC game, back when timers were a fun plate spinning management mechanic rather than the IAP thumbscrews that they've become in the poorer quality mobile games of today.

If you're into quirky, you'll be well happy you spent at least a half hour with this freebie gem.

2. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #162 dib, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    So many issues.

1) Why don't characters prefer the best equiment that's accessible? You can have two punching bags, one with upgrades, and they will just pick the first one even if it's slower.

2) I suspect the app has poor memory management. After playing ~30 minutes, or however long to go from beginning the game to beating the second boss, there were long delays during battles and scene transitions. After rebooting my phone, it was fine for a time until they started again.

3) The arrows to change characters on either side of their name don't work. Sometimes it will skip between two of them even when there are more present.

4) Too many things are unexplained, like the goals. I wasn't aware I had to click each one to finalize it.

5) For awhile the app simply _stopped working_. It would hang at the loading screen until I reboot my phone.

That's just off the top of my head. It appears they didn't take nearly long enough to polish this game before publishing it (again).

3. Romar831

Romar831 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I have been playing it since it came out in Canada, I haven't had a problem with the game. It's fun :)

4. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Yup.

After all the hype, it's just another reskin of the typical freemium time management game.

What a disappointment.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So which one of you is talking garbage?

6. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I disagree. Unlike normal management games where times get continually longer as you go, this game basically requires micromanagement. You never have to wait for anything because you are managing so many other things at the same time. I'm in the fourth zone, and none of the battles there take any longer than battles in the first section. Yes, training and learning skills takes longer, but we're talking 3-15 minutes vs. 1-5 minutes as at the beginning.

I can see where the coin doubler would be handy, but I would only consider buying the control currency if I really didn't want to take time to earn it in order to buy new heroes.

I have been playing DragonVale for the past year, which I think is the best version of long term/long wait management games. I think this game almost feels like a different genre.

7. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    This is true. I mean, at a whopping price of free, give it a ten minute test run.

8. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    That's fine. Different strokes and all. I just don't find games that involve tapping the screen every time a timer counts down much fun. I was hoping this was going to be more of a tycoon-type game.

9. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    It was actually the comedy element I saw from Sanuku's gameplay trailer in page 3 that was the draw, but I have to assume it's only there for a short bit in the beginning?

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    No the comedy is there alot.

11. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    I'm suprised the game gone wide world when bugs have been found in the official release in the Canada store . I would of thought they would have waited until the patch been applied before going world wide.

12. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh man, this is a Double-Fine game? Gotta be good...

13. ZPr13st

ZPr13st New Member

Oct 11, 2012
    I love Double Fine and I do like this game's concept, however I won't be playing it for the following reasons.

1) Everything must be done ACTIVELY, meaning I have to be in the game to actually have the timers go down.

2) Crime missions can be missed and or have too small of window of opportunity. Crime missions should be permanent with the exception of maybe a few special missions with 24 hr timers complimented by push notifications letting you know they are there.

3) I can't schedule tasks around my life, the game demands it's schedule. What I mean is I can't plan ahead and put my heroes to rest before I head to bed in anticipation to finally take down that big mission in 8 hrs after they sleep. I have to kind of haphazardly check the map and rush to complete missions so counties don't get upset.

4) Lack of decoration / customization. When I bought the water cooler i was expecting to be able to place a water cooler...only to find out its an in battle one time use item...bummer

Overall I think they did a huge service to players by making this an actual GAME, but a disservice to themselves by making it free. They should extend the timers and send push notifications when tasks are done after a long time to build the feeling of accomplishment.

As it is I don't see why anyone would buy premium stuff. Let me customize my room, place beds where I want, buy premium posters from other double fine games to decorate and customize my base, give me a snowball effect of other freemium games with the combat twist and I will gladly get excited to buy a costume for my favorite hero that I just waited 48 RL hours to craft his new weapon or finish his ultimate training.

A sad disappointment

14. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Fun game but the issues mentioned below are definitely downers. Have spent 3 hours with this game and supported the Devs way buying the coin doubler!

Been playing on my iPad Mini and have wanted to take it on the go on my iPhone... But the save game is not showing up here? I enabled the option in game on the iPad, shut the game down and reopened it a couple of times for good measure... But no go! Can someone who has this working explain how to continue my game on another device with ease, similar to how Tiny Towers or similar titles ask you if you'd like to resume progress?

15. GROG

GROG Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I love DoubleFine but this is really a terrible TERRIBLE game.

"Game"... more like CHORES. Like Smurfs.

16. RedRioja

RedRioja New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    #176 RedRioja, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    Still Bugs Galore

I was one of the early downloaders, so the new version gave me 50 Superium and some cash when I started it the first time. Nice!

However, after playing for a while, buying a hero and stuff, when I started the game for the next time it was all gone.
    It was like starting it for the very first time, intro and all, and Superium as well as cash was GONE!

Also, the menu icons in the bottom right don't always show up. Sometimes all I get is the gamefield at all with no way to access menu, heroes or anything else.
    Restarting helps most, but not all of the times.

So it seems they did not learn the lesson and still threw a very buggy and little tested game at us.

I wrote to them about it. If I get my Superium/Cash back and the next update fixes the problems I might continue playing. Still very annoying!

Edit: When I stated the game today, it showed a message that because of my complaint to them I got my Superium/Cash back. That was quick and nice of them, hope the bugfixing proceeds fast too ...

17. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    #177 Georgina, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    Game Impressions

The concept is promising, the graphics are cute, and the writing is solid... but this still feels like a middle-of-the-road freemium sim in an App Store crowded with them. It also feels curiously unpolished/under-tested, which is not what I generally associate with Double Fine.

It's an odd little game.

18. Raiel

Raiel Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Umm, that's pretty close to what it is. If you played Theme Park back in the day, then the mechanics are pretty darned similar in the sense that you hire employees, train them, research and buy new equipment, expand your business etc.

There are two things it isn't:

1. It isn't your typical freemium timer game; largely because the timers don't increase exponentially to try and bore you into buying IAP to fix it. I've filled my roster with high level heroes and have all the regions on the map happy and I've never waited more than 30 seconds for anything. Nor have I bought anything but the coin doubler.

2. It isn't very deep. Or very long for that matter. What it is, is good fun while it lasts. You get to level up, take out bosses, read some pretty funny quips, watch your little dudes and dudettes go about their business (Sweets working the call center is a hilarious little anim) and generally pass the time pleasantly absorbed in a little comic book world.

There is one rather big downer: it gobbles up battery life. This is one to play at home, near your charger. I hope they get around to fixing that.

My first impression stands though: well worth the price of free (i.e. your time), and for me definitely worth the price of the coin doubler. I'm hoping they keep at the game to expand it from this very decent start.

19. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Game is crashing to damn much and slowdown is dragging this game

20. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    I really like the game. Bought the coin doubler to support the devs and had like six, seven hours great fun. There is only one thing that should be updated (well there are maybe more but this one is my biggest concern). There is a point in the game when you have all the rooms and more than four heroes and since only four can run around in the building it looks empty. I looked forward to see them all hanging around in the building. Was pretty disappointed here. But the game still works for me...